Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2019, 04:36   #1

Boat: Bavaria 46 Cruiser
AIS stops sending - good ideas appreciated

Hi,

I've been on the mailling list for a year or so, but this is my first post.

Onboard my 2006 Bavaria 46 Cruiser I've installed a Camino 108 AIS Class B transponder. This transponder is connected to an AMEC GPS antenna for AIS as well as a Pacific VHF antenna. The AIS is also connected to my NMEA 2000 bus as well as power.

When I plug this setup to a computer using the software which came by the Camino, all indicators are good: Power is on, no error codes, MMSI is valid, external power ok, GPS position is fixed, the AIS has indeed received a position report and the AIS has transmitted a position report. Messages are received as well as transpitted on both channel A and B.

At this point, I also see my vessel on Marinetraffic. I now that this website in itself is not a true witness to whether your AIS transmits or not, but in this case it is relevant.

Having transitted and being received on marinetraffic, however, after a short while it stops transmitting. This happens regardless of whether I disconnect the computer or just let it be plugged in.

I should add that I so far have used the app BoatBeacon rather successfully, but this only works whenever I've got a mobile signal.

The past weeks I've crossed the North Sea, the Caledonian Canal in Scotland, and at time of writing I'm in harbor at the Outer Hebrides. On our way back to Norway, I would have loved for the AIS to work.

All this being said, I would very much appreciate good advice from you!

lasmaruezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 16:28   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 45' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey
Re: AIS stops sending - good ideas appreciated

How do you confirm that it has stopped transmitting? Maybe it IS transmitting and whatever tool you are using to check it is not updating or receiving it.
Old 21-07-2019, 17:32   #3

Boat: Bavaria 46 Cruiser

Thanks for replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
How do you confirm that it has stopped transmitting? Maybe it IS transmitting and whatever tool you are using to check it is not updating or receiving it.
That could have been the case, but no. Today I crossed the North Sea from Shetland to Norway and communicated with a supply ship at one of the oil rigs. He did not see me.

I havenít a clue as to what to do except trying out some different software.
lasmaruezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 18:43   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 45' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasmaruezas View Post
Thanks for replying.

That could have been the case, but no. Today I crossed the North Sea from Shetland to Norway and communicated with a supply ship at one of the oil rigs. He did not see me.

I havenít a clue as to what to do except trying out some different software.
Have you contacted AMEC support to ask them about it? Thatís what manufacturer tech support is for and probably a better bet than a crusing forum, not that your post here isn't a good idea, just suggesting that the manufacturer may actually be helpful.

Tags
ais