Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-05-2010, 16:13   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
holmek,

I'm surprised by the amount of slagging you are getting here. Let's just pretend that we've already had the "singlehanding/proper watch/AIS/RADAR/eyeball" mudfight, OK?

There are two products that I am aware of which will do what you are asking:
Paul,

Your recommendations seem appropo to me, but they too are electronic devices. The OP seems to want something non-electronic, yet that will "beep"at him when danger threatens. May be a serious conflict with reality here!

I guess that he needs to realize that singlehanding is inherently dangerous and come to grips with it... or get someone to go with him.

Meanwhile, something like the Watchmate is on our to-do list!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point, NSW, Oz

Old 02-05-2010, 22:15   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Your recommendations seem appropo to me, but they too are electronic devices. The OP seems to want something non-electronic, yet that will "beep"at him when danger threatens. May be a serious conflict with reality here!
Jim,

You may be right, but the way I read it he was merely asking for the simplest practical system, preferably one that wouldn't require a bunch of interconnected equipment -- as simple as possible, with the bare essential features.

I am starting to think that the Standard Horizon GX2100 VHF/AIS is really a brilliant device, and will likely replace the AIS Radar and Watchmate -style gear. It's got a dual-channel AIS receiver (dual-channel is very nice, but not critical), a very capable VHF radio, and by connecting a simple/cheap GPS you get a great AIS alarm unit. It's simple, reasonably low-power, and not too expensive.

Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 22:46   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
MarkJ, AIS is *much* better than didly squat. What did you think it was going to do???
Oh, AIS is much better. But like so many things its the person who is using it. They are the ones who decide to use its information etc. Its like having radar. No value at all. Unless someones face is looking at it!

What did I think the ship was going to do? I was the Stand On vessel. He was to my port coming at my beam. What do you think I expected him to do? He should have altered course to avoid hitting the Stand On vessel. I had him on 2 rules 1) I was sailing and 2) he was on my port side. I thought he would either keep his course so I would have gone in front of him, or altered to Starboard to go behind me. Instead he altered to port.

AIS or no AIS keeping a lookout means eyes watching and being brina-on to make decisions. AIS will not stop ships ignoring sailboats.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 23:52   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mark,

I meant "What did you think your AIS was going to do for you?" It sounds like we are in general agreement though. Do you have a transponder, or a receive-only unit?

Yes, that ship seems to have been steered by a moron. It happens. We both already knew that.

Here is my personal philosophy on AIS:

I like it. It is a piloting aid, and it alerts me to the presence of most large vessels before they come into my visual or radar horizon. It helps my situational awareness. I know full well that it will not warn me about most small craft, some large craft, floating debris, etc.

I started out with a receive-only unit, and recently switched to a Class-B transponder on the basis that since I appreciate other vessels transmitting their AIS data, perhaps some of these other vessels would appreciate it if I transmitted too. It's kind of like radar (in some ways). If we all just had detectors (or reflectors), and nobody ever transmitted, the system wouldn't work too well for collision avoidance.

Just because I'm transmitting AIS doesn't mean that the other vessel will react appropriately. I usually assume they're asleep on the bridge (I realize that in most cases they are being quite diligent).
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 00:08   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Mark,

I meant "What did you think your AIS was going to do for you?" It sounds like we are in general agreement though. Do you have a transponder, or a receive-only unit?
We don't have one.
Thats part of the point.

I would like a transponder. Also we need a new chartplotter and I am looking to Standard Horizon to bring out an integrated AIS transponder/Chartplotter.

They already have an integrated VHF/plotter without AIS receiver so it can't be long before the geese do it.

That will then totally change the market and all will bring them out.

Quote:
Large vessels routinely transmit their navigation information. The CPV550 is capable of displaying these signals (when optional AIS receiver connected) as Targets on the chart page in relation to your position. In addition the CPV550 can be setup to alarm when a target ship is within a specific time or range zone, to alert you to avoid a collision.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 00:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
keeping a lookout means eyes watching
Correct

And in answer to the OP's original question - no I don't think there is device that can do this for you.

Radar will not pick up all vessels
AIS will only pick up boats carrying AIS Transponders
The CARD or other radar activated devices will only pick up those using Radar.

Even if you have all 3, there will always be those that slip through unnoticed.

Tags
ais, shipping

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: