Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2017, 18:44   #1

Boat: 1979 San Juan 7.7M
AIS Registration, MMSI Number

Ahoy All,
I have a 25' Sailboat for which I've just purchased a Class B AIS by Raymarine. The unit is pre-owned and I have no information regarding any prior assigned number(MMSI), Call Sign etc. I found no information on the FCC site enabling a search without the MMSI or previous Call Sign. How do I proceed to register the device? While I haven't actually received it yet, I do have the serial no. etc. Any ideas on how I can get the ball rolling so to speak, would greatly appreciated.
Old 18-02-2017, 19:11   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: AIS Registration, MMSI Number

You'll need to get a new MMSI through BOATUS (free) or FCC ($$) and contact Raymarine to get it programmed into your AIS unit.
Old 18-02-2017, 19:15   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Zingy has it right
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 20:05   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If you sail international you need the $$$ FCC registration. If you stay in US waters, the free BoatUS registration will do. Like written above, after you get your assigned MMSI, you need to contact Raymarine about reprogramming your transponder.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 21:14   #5

Thanks Ziggy, While perusing the FCC site, it appears that the numbers are transferable, so I was trying to learn what the previous reg number was. Additionally, I understood the device also must be registered with the Coast Guard. Does registration with FCC or Power Squadron/Boat U.S satisfy that issue?
Old 18-02-2017, 21:20   #6

Thanks for your response, I do plan to do some international cruising, but perhaps not until next year. Would it be prudent to get the FCC now, or reserve application until I'm actually ready to cruise international waters? Does anyone know what the FCC fee for international registration is?
Old 18-02-2017, 23:28   #7

The MMSI number remains with the vessel, so unless you bought the boat and the AIS, you will need to change it. As mentioned, reprogramming will have to be done by Raymarine or perhaps a dealer.

What's transferable is the name of the person who owns the boat/MMSI. So if you buy a boat with an AIS, all you need to do is update the registration info to show the new owner. But this doesn't apply in your case.

If there is any chance you will want the FCC number, get it now. Otherwise you will need to reprogram the AIS yet again with a new number.

Your new MMSI number (I'll assume you go with the FCC) will come pas part of registering your ship's radio station. So you will be applying for an SA license. As part of the application you check off that you want an MMSI number as well. You will get the SA and MMSI within about 24 hrs via email, and in teh mail shortly after. It's painless, though the web site is typical government clunky. The trick is knowing you want an SA license which in turn will get you an MMSI. To be compliant internationally, you also need a radio operator's license. It's a Restricted Radio Operators Permit (code RR, but I'm not certain). You get it on line the same as the SA license, It never expires. I don't recall the exact cost, but I think it's as much as $200 for everything.
Old 18-02-2017, 23:55   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

I don't recall if it can be used to change the MMSI number, but any settings that can be changed by an end user are set using an app called ProAIS2. You need the software, a USB cable, and the drivers.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 23:58   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

If the MMSI was initially issued by BoatUS:

1. Wire the AIS up, turn it on, go to Marine Traffic or another AIS and get the MMSI your unit is putting out.
2. Go to https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSI/MMSINumberTransfer
3. Follow the instructions.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 23:59   #10
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

The MMSI cannot be changed or modified with ProAIS.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 00:40   #11

Boat: Endurance 35,1981

Hi Guys......

Just a question can you buy second hand equipment from Raymarine instruments, radar, Autopilots etc ? Have they got an official Raymarine second hand website ? besides e-bay.

I'm at the stage of my project where I have to kit out the boat with the toys

Thanks
Madrugada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 08:24   #12

Boat: 1998 Bayliner Avanti 3685 - 38' long

Note: I am going through this right now myself and BOATUS told me last week that if my handheld VHF (which is all I have right now) is going with me to the "newer-to-me" boat . . . I do not need a new MMSI or Call Station License . . . I can use the old ones. Reason being - my former boat does not have any connection to my handheld VHF so I can take all that encompasses the licenses with me to the new boat. Later, I'll go online and edit the particulars about the boat itself so that the CG will now know who I am when they board . .
Dadrock33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 08:30   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
The MMSI cannot be changed or modified with ProAIS.
Good to know. The OP will still want to have ProAIS2 because this is the tool used to set up the AIS system.
Old 19-02-2017, 08:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadrock33 View Post
Note: I am going through this right now myself and BOATUS told me last week that if my handheld VHF (which is all I have right now) is going with me to the "newer-to-me" boat . . . I do not need a new MMSI or Call Station License . . . I can use the old ones. Reason being - my former boat does not have any connection to my handheld VHF so I can take all that encompasses the licenses with me to the new boat. Later, I'll go online and edit the particulars about the boat itself so that the CG will now know who I am when they board . .
I don't know about the Boat US process, but if you go the FCC route...The MMSI number will not change from one owner to another, but the Ship Station License information does. The seller is supposed to cancel the Ship Station License and the buyer is supposed apply for a license.
Old 19-02-2017, 09:57   #15

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwestR View Post
Thanks for your response, I do plan to do some international cruising, but perhaps not until next year. Would it be prudent to get the FCC now, or reserve application until I'm actually ready to cruise international waters? Does anyone know what the FCC fee for international registration is?
US$ 210 made of two fees ($50+$160) paid together.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, registration