Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-11-2013, 20:12   #31
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Really? I would think you would track prices pretty tight. My first search shows this price on Defender.com: http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...908&id=2135822
Correction: $745.99 is what they charge, so even lower than I remembered

Old 12-11-2013, 20:12   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: AIS Question Again

Thanks,
Search engines from different locations find different things! I'll see what I can do to make my offer better. Thanks for your help
Matt
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 22:33   #33
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

One further question. You guys who want NMEA2000 - can you tell me exactly what for? Or is it just future proofing?
My experience is almost entirely NMEA0183, and programs like opencpn do not support NMEA2000 at this time. They will accept NMEA over ethernet or wifi though. Happy to be corrected if I'm out of date?
Thanks
Matt
Old 12-11-2013, 23:12   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ8720 View Post
One further question. You guys who want NMEA2000 - can you tell me exactly what for? Or is it just future proofing?
My experience is almost entirely NMEA0183, and programs like opencpn do not support NMEA2000 at this time. They will accept NMEA over ethernet or wifi though. Happy to be corrected if I'm out of date?
Thanks
Matt
The nice thing about NMEA 2K is that it is plug and go, no splicing of wires of different colors. A standardization.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 23:32   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Agreed, (I have some nmea2000 on board), but if you want an AIS to output on nmea2000, is it because you are going to a plotter with nmea2000 capability, or did you want to connect an nmea feed I to it and get nmea0183 out via the output port or WiFi. I'm just trying to understand what people are actually doing with it, or intending to do with it, so I can provide suitable gear.

Thanks
Matt
Old 13-11-2013, 03:58   #36

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

My initial need is to sail to Puerto Rico alone. So want something to help, but not radar. We always sail in the Caribbean. There are other ships, but few, and no fog.

After reading everything I am now considering a standalone unit that also has WiFi and it will talk to my iPad and overlay targets on INavX. The unit is from Vesper Marine, WatchMate vision. I would us a separate antenna, Shakespeare 5215-AIS. A separate antenna and cable is about the same $$ as getting a splitter and using the VHF, but it would give me a backup in case my mast antenna shut down. Run GR213 cable about 25 feet at the most I am guessing.

I am thinking of mounting it off the stern next to the solar panel. This unit has a built in GPS so do not need to mount one. I would have a separate display for AIS for sailing around if the iPad is not attached.

Thoughts on this configuration? So many was to do something and each one has a price. So am trying not to do it twice.
Old 13-11-2013, 04:16   #37

My two cents: installed a used Garmin 600 AIS w built in zero loss splitter, a new Garmin 200 VHF w DSC and a new Garmin 740s chart plotter. Simple NMEA 2000 connection. Works fantastic. Single existing VHF antenna 65' up. Shows the targets on the chart plotter, lets me use the chart plotter to automatically call them using a single touch and DSC.

Couldn't be happier. Moral of this story: Same manufacture set of equipment produces superior functionality.
Old 13-11-2013, 08:55   #38

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
If you want, we can do that now.. 2 devices though...

There are two ways to get the WIFI, either a NMEA2000 - wifi server (draws 200ma - next to nothing) or the NMEA0183 one - both are Here.
Then the AIS unit if you want NMEA 2000 and everything else Here or a budget (but still good)version without NMEA2000 but with a screen Here, or finally an entry level one Here.

PLEASE NOTE the first two are A2N (Aid to Nav) and SART compatible, the last one is NOT (its a bit older). If you are in the market for AIS, and choose not to deal with me, I'd really appreciate a PM to tell me why. I'd like to provide the best service possible.

Cheers
Matt
Hi Matt,

As noted above, your solution is more expensive.

Also, the power requirements are higher.

And finally, with the new firmware, the Vesper unit will give me NMEA2000 sailing instrument data on my computer and mobile devices. Your solution would require a third device like the Actisence NGW1 to do this adding more power required and more expense.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 13-11-2013, 12:26   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Nordic 40

I don't have much to add at this stage, but just letting you know I'm here if a question comes up.

Regarding the questions about NMEA-2000 and openCPN, etc.... we're about to release a firmware update for the XB-8000 that adds more PGN translations. Wind/depth/speed/temp/heading PGN's are translated to 0183 sentences and output over the USB, 0183 and WiFi connections. This means you can view your instruments on mobile apps or feed them to openCPN over WiFi. You can also have multiple devices connected to your XB-8000 over WiFi simultaneously.

Also, if you have an 0183 connection to a chart plotter or A/P, you can transfer waypoints or routes from mobile apps too.

When selecting a splitter, watch for excessive signal loss. Some have 4dB or more. Even better is a splitter that has a low-noise amplifier with signal gain for the AIS.
Old 13-11-2013, 12:37   #40
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
If you want, we can do that now.. 2 devices though...

There are two ways to get the WIFI, either a NMEA2000 - wifi server (draws 200ma - next to nothing) or the NMEA0183 one - both are Here.
Then the AIS unit if you want NMEA 2000 and everything else Here or a budget (but still good)version without NMEA2000 but with a screen Here, or finally an entry level one Here.

PLEASE NOTE the first two are A2N (Aid to Nav) and SART compatible, the last one is NOT (its a bit older). If you are in the market for AIS, and choose not to deal with me, I'd really appreciate a PM to tell me why. I'd like to provide the best service possible.

Cheers
Matt
Shameless plug... as an alternative and if you are interested in a dedicated AIS display-only, have a look at a WatchMate 670. Full support for AIS AtoN, SART and MOB. Target filtering to eliminate clutter of icons, false alarm management, and anchor watch. Consumes around 100mA. Even less in sleep mode. Works with any AIS transponder or receiver. And works great with an XB-8000 of course.

AIS WatchMate Display - Dedicated collision avoidance system
Old 14-11-2013, 18:11   #41
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

FYI: We released that new firmware update for XB-8000 and WatchMate Vision today. Any owners can download and update their units right over WiFi.

Among a number of enhancements it also provides additional NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 translations so you can view instrument data such as heading, wind, depth, speed, log, water temp on all tablets, phones and computer via WiFi. This data is translated from the NMEA 2000 network to the appropriate 0183 sentences and sent to all connected WiFi clients as well as any USB and 0183 devices.

We've also added more control over the 0183 network side of things so you can decide what you want to route to devices connected via 0183.
Old 14-11-2013, 20:54   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynesider View Post
Spent some time last year looking at various AIS set ups, most people had problems with mixing differant AIS manufactured units and especially splitters! I went for the SH GX2100E vhf to work with a SH 300i plotter. Very simple to install and the reception using your existing radio aerial is excellant. The AIS display on the radio is small and a back up only, but the AIS display on the plotter is excellant with lots of user friendly features, this is also the first plotter I have had with an 'inbuilt aerial 'and find no differance in reception and quality to when I had a seperate aerial. Also after sales back up by SH here in the UK was excellant. Hope this helps
Same set up I have, here are some screen shots taken while a tow was on the river. The icon on the cp300 shows the location of the tow, when you click on it then information is shown. Everything is is also shown on the screen on the GX-2150.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3196539494.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	70467

Name:	image-3164248144.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	70468

Name:	image-3282329898.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	70469
Old 15-11-2013, 17:46   #43

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
Shameless plug... as an alternative and if you are interested in a dedicated AIS display-only, have a look at a WatchMate 670. Full support for AIS AtoN, SART and MOB. Target filtering to eliminate clutter of icons, false alarm management, and anchor watch. Consumes around 100mA. Even less in sleep mode. Works with any AIS transponder or receiver. And works great with an XB-8000 of course.

AIS WatchMate Display - Dedicated collision avoidance system
This is very appealing. I'd love to add the XB-8000 later, but this WatchMate670 looks very useful. I'd like to pair it with my Standard 2150 for the enhanced alarms, filters and profiles, display and also the anchor watch - all at 100 mA? That's pretty sweet.

I've yet to see any AIS AtoN's, but have only had the Standard for a little while. Where they be?
Old 15-11-2013, 18:19   #44

Boat: PETERSON 44
I really like the 670 watchmate as a filter and alarm display.
Here is why.
Low draw, filtering of targets especially alarms, intuitive, anchor monitor and alarm,
Vesper 8000.
Install was easy, connected to iPhone, wifi set up was flawless, redundant GPS data, look forward to the update, water proof, it might connect to my standard verizon VHF fir dsc calling? Not saying it was cheap but it is well built and I have faith it will be reliable . Shows targets on my garmin using 0183, could be hooked up using 2000.
I think the app could get more advanced. Great if it had alarm functions, filtering and or it reflected the watchmate more closely.
Replaced a very inexpensive Milltech receiver that also had very good use with garmin chartplotter. Gets confusing how all these parts are talking and which connections make for the most sound redundant layout. .
Not using a splitter. My antennae is a Shakespeare on the stern rail. Higher would be better but it is picking targets at 15 miles in a very protected area. Re soldering the connection which I hope improves the vswr. The location should not inhibit satellite reception in event of a major boat issue. Wish this was cheaper but it all works as advertised. As a solo sailor that brings in less then experienced crew it was worth the potentially premature investment .
Old 15-11-2013, 22:22   #45

Boat: PETERSON 44
Here is screen shot. With the new coupler I reduced the vswr a tad. Seeing boats at 18 nm in a protected cove. Not near line if site.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3542948948.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	70528  

Tags
ais

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: