Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 00:44   #16

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Re: AIS Question Again

So I can run 2 cables to the stern. One for AIS and a SECOND for GPS. place them on opposite sides of the stainless structure that I have supporting the solar panel. Making sure the do not cast a shadow on it. Future, how far do the need to be away from radar if I mount that on the stern?
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:02   #17

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
You want to try to get some vertical separation for the radar dome - it could go on a pole?

Matt
Old 12-11-2013, 01:27   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450
I think maybe the thread DeepFrz links may be the really good one on AIS aerials. My experience was that my AIS650 with a splitter on my VHF performed very bad. I.e often could not be seen on Marinetraffic.com. I upgraded the AIS software but the big improvement was installing an AIS tuned aerial on the top spreader. I took the advice and so kept it well below the VHF aerial. Other advice that the mast or stays may cause interference certainly did not happen. I now get a good track on Marinetraffic.com and satellite tracking is also good for a class B.
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:46   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNZ View Post
I think maybe the thread DeepFrz links may be the really good one on AIS aerials. My experience was that my AIS650 with a splitter on my VHF performed very bad. I.e often could not be seen on Marinetraffic.com. I upgraded the AIS software but the big improvement was installing an AIS tuned aerial on the top spreader. I took the advice and so kept it well below the VHF aerial. Other advice that the mast or stays may cause interference certainly did not happen. I now get a good track on Marinetraffic.com and satellite tracking is also good for a class B.
There you go. Dedicated antennas are often challenged and ridiculed but here is the hard proof.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08   #20

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

We have a Camino AIS module connected to Furuno Navnet as well as PC. Antenna is separate, mounted on stern rail and picks up ships well before we see them.
We had a similar system on Diva, antenna mounted on the stern arch, NASA module connected to a Northstar plotter...worked very well.
Cheers
Alan
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:12   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Which one are you talking about. In the sticky thread Dockhead uses separate antennas for AIS and VHF.

In the other thread they talk about some of the better antennas available. Of course as in all threads on CF you have to sort out the wheat from the chaff as there are many here who think "good enough" is good enough and ignore best practice.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:14   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

VHF and GPS antennas will not interfere with each other. You don't have to worry about placing them on opposite sides of the boat. However it is good to have a minimum 3 ft. between VHF and AIS antenna.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:23   #23

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

I'm leaning toward the Vesper XB-8000.
Hard to beat the price for an AIS transponder with: USB, NMEA0183, NMEA2000 and WiFi conectivity in one low power unit.

The company has promised that a soon to be released firmware update will also bridge many NMEA2000 messages to WiFi, USB and NMEA0183. Allowing you to have all sensor data on a tablet, smartphone or computer.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:30   #24

Boat: Lagoon 450

This is the one I bought: Digital AIS Antenna 4Ft 578-S 4.5DB

Just take care as to the base and what attachment type you want. This one screwed on to a standard attachment to fit on the flat of a spreader with the wire coming off the side just above the attachment.
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
I'm leaning toward the Vesper XB-8000.
Hard to beat the price for an AIS transponder with: USB, NMEA0183, NMEA2000 and WiFi conectivity in one low power unit.

The company has promised that a soon to be released firmware update will also bridge many NMEA2000 messages to WiFi, USB and NMEA0183. Allowing you to have all sensor data on a tablet, smartphone or computer.
If you want, we can do that now.. 2 devices though...

There are two ways to get the WIFI, either a NMEA2000 - wifi server (draws 200ma - next to nothing) or the NMEA0183 one - both are Here.
Then the AIS unit if you want NMEA 2000 and everything else Here or a budget (but still good)version without NMEA2000 but with a screen Here, or finally an entry level one Here.

PLEASE NOTE the first two are A2N (Aid to Nav) and SART compatible, the last one is NOT (its a bit older). If you are in the market for AIS, and choose not to deal with me, I'd really appreciate a PM to tell me why. I'd like to provide the best service possible.

Cheers
Matt
Old 12-11-2013, 13:37   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

We have a receiver and we want a transponder. I like the new color Vesper toy too.

b
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 14:44   #27

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNZ View Post
This is the one I bought: Digital AIS Antenna 4Ft 578-S 4.5DB

Just take care as to the base and what attachment type you want. This one screwed on to a standard attachment to fit on the flat of a spreader with the wire coming off the side just above the attachment.
You can reroute the wire thru the bottom before the connector is installed. I got the Digital 876 with the connector at the bottom of the antenna but it was hard to find in stock online, they were all on back order. But one of our local dealers here had them in stock. Got lucky, as I was heading off shore within a week.
Old 12-11-2013, 18:47   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ8720 View Post
If you want, we can do that now.. 2 devices though... There are two ways to get the WIFI, either a NMEA2000 - wifi server (draws 200ma - next to nothing) or the NMEA0183 one - both are Here. Then the AIS unit if you want NMEA 2000 and everything else Here or a budget (but still good)version without NMEA2000 but with a screen Here, or finally an entry level one Here. PLEASE NOTE the first two are A2N (Aid to Nav) and SART compatible, the last one is NOT (its a bit older). If you are in the market for AIS, and choose not to deal with me, I'd really appreciate a PM to tell me why. I'd like to provide the best service possible. Cheers Matt
You can do it now... for $1,200.- while Vesper will do it for $750.-

Old 12-11-2013, 18:53   #29

Thanks for that Jedi, I've not seen the Vesper on that cheap. Looks like a good deal! Could you point me at the site where that's the cost - so I can use that to see if we can get a better deal from my suppliers?
Thx
Matt
Old 12-11-2013, 19:10   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ8720 View Post
Thanks for that Jedi, I've not seen the Vesper on that cheap. Looks like a good deal! Could you point me at the site where that's the cost - so I can use that to see if we can get a better deal from my suppliers? Thx Matt
Really? I would think you would track prices pretty tight. My first search shows this price on Defender.com: http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp...908&id=2135822

Tags
ais