View Poll Results: Do you have AIS?
Type A 8 3.81%
Type B receive only 44 20.95%
Type B receive and transmit 126 60.00%
No AIS 23 10.95%
Type B+ receive and transmit 9 4.29%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 04:50   #106

Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Cases that come to mind as an exception to your experience are meeting on a blind curve on a river and in bad weather conditions such as a heavy downpour and large seas. The AIS signal is likely to be detected, the Radar target not likely to be detected on a small vessel.

Yes, fair point, and all the more argument in favor of boats using actual AIS, not just a monitoring system.
Old 15-10-2019, 11:29   #107

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbolino View Post
The vessel that just hit you while you were tackling "something else whilst underway." didn't have a transmitter.

But you assumed two things:

- the bad guy had no transmitter,
- the bad guy had no eyes,

You also assumed the person in the boat that 'got hit' did not have eyes either.

Three assumptions, two too many perhaps.

MY take:

1) do have a receiver,
2) do have a transmiter, if you can.

SINCE a transmitter contains a receiver, there is hardly any sense in NOT having a transmitter ...

Cheers,

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 20:35   #108

Boat: Tartan 40

This is an interesting and helpful thread.
I sail the Great Lakes and cross shipping lanes from time to time. On my last crossing of Lake Superior, I misjudged the narrow angle of the ore ship coming up on my stern quarter, and crossed too close for my comfort. That was during the day in clear conditions. I will be more careful next time.
I am also looking online for a low cost receiver setup to use with my iPad via BoatBeacon app ($15.00) or my iSailor app. I found an AIS receiver for less than $85.00 with nmea and wifi capability at https://www.quark-elec.com/product/q...-ais-receiver/ and a VHF antenna splitter for $44 at https://www.hodgesmarine.com/sha5257...xoCqo4QAvD_BwE for a total of about $145. I can afford that and justify it for the occasional shipping lanes I cross in the dark.
djhsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, grass, poll