Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: Do you have AIS?
Type A 8 3.94%
Type B receive only 44 21.67%
Type B receive and transmit 123 60.59%
No AIS 22 10.84%
Type B+ receive and transmit 6 2.96%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019, 17:56   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 7,590
Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
I don't understand how this comment, or the peeping Tom one, contribute anything positive to the discussion. How can receive-only AIS be anything but neutral or helpful in collision avoidance? In my case, I reluctantly installed the Standard VHF receive-only AIS in 2012 mainly because of peer pressure (and my previous VHF didn't have DSC). I was reluctant because I'd trusted my eyes and ears for decades without a problem. But after using it for some multi-day passages it was clear that the AIS almost always picked up transmitting boats long before I did, usually long before I did. Of course not all boats transmit so AIS doesn't replace watch keeping. My practice under way includes monitoring the AIS (CPA alarm set appropriately) and if a vessel appears with a course uncomfortably close to mine then I either: a) change course if I am the give way vessel, or b) if I'm the stand-on boat I hold my course and make a DSC call to the other boat (ship) to give my position, course, speed and confirm my intention is acceptable. My experience is that ships almost always answer (in a dozen or so mid-Pacific encounters, only once has a ship not responded reasonably promptly, although even in that case she did answer back after I gave way and we'd crossed paths). This method is certainly 'proper,' and in using it I consider myself part of the 'system,' as many others do similarly. While I can see benefit in being able to transmit, and I plan to add that capability eventually, I don't see any urgency to it, and I don't see why my practice, or even going without AIS, should be banned.
It sounds like you are another AIS convert. The cost of adding RX only AIS is so low versus its value that it is just foolish not to have it on a mom and pop or singlehanding cruiser.
Since the cost of rx/tx (receive/transmit) units has come down enough, any upgrade really ought to go rx/tx unless money is really tight.
__________________

Paul L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 18:53   #92
Registered User
 
hodgmo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Barbara
Boat: Islander 36
Posts: 46
Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
It sounds like you are another AIS convert. The cost of adding RX only AIS is so low versus its value that it is just foolish not to have it on a mom and pop or singlehanding cruiser.
Since the cost of rx/tx (receive/transmit) units has come down enough, any upgrade really ought to go rx/tx unless money is really tight.
__________________

hodgmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:46   #93
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 800
Images: 1
Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
I don't understand how this comment, or the peeping Tom one, contribute anything positive to the discussion. How can receive-only AIS be anything but neutral or helpful in collision avoidance? In my case, I reluctantly installed the Standard VHF receive-only AIS in 2012 mainly because of peer pressure (and my previous VHF didn't have DSC). I was reluctant because I'd trusted my eyes and ears for decades without a problem. But after using it for some multi-day passages it was clear that the AIS almost always picked up transmitting boats long before I did, usually long before I did. Of course not all boats transmit so AIS doesn't replace watch keeping. My practice under way includes monitoring the AIS (CPA alarm set appropriately) and if a vessel appears with a course uncomfortably close to mine then I either: a) change course if I am the give way vessel, or b) if I'm the stand-on boat I hold my course and make a DSC call to the other boat (ship) to give my position, course, speed and confirm my intention is acceptable. My experience is that ships almost always answer (in a dozen or so mid-Pacific encounters, only once has a ship not responded reasonably promptly, although even in that case she did answer back after I gave way and we'd crossed paths). This method is certainly 'proper,' and in using it I consider myself part of the 'system,' as many others do similarly. While I can see benefit in being able to transmit, and I plan to add that capability eventually, I don't see any urgency to it, and I don't see why my practice, or even going without AIS, should be banned.


Part of my point is that with receive only you are not participating, just listening. It may be just fine for you, but does nothing for other boats that would like to know what your are doing, just as you want to know what they are doing. That’s why AIS, by definition, is send receive.

And receive only AIS is VERY different from radar because with receive only AIS you are invisible to other boats. It’s what happens when you don’t participate.

Radar is fundamentally different because you can’t make yourself invisible to other boats. Just because your radar is “receive only” doesn’t impact other boats’ ability to see you.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:25   #94
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Becalmed in the Med
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 1,184
Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Part of my point is that with receive only you are not participating, just listening. It may be just fine for you, but does nothing for other boats that would like to know what your are doing, just as you want to know what they are doing. That’s why AIS, by definition, is send receive.

And receive only AIS is VERY different from radar because with receive only AIS you are invisible to other boats. It’s what happens when you don’t participate.

Radar is fundamentally different because you can’t make yourself invisible to other boats. Just because your radar is “receive only” doesn’t impact other boats’ ability to see you.
Yet having an AIS receive doesn't suddenly make you more invisible to other boats than not having it. If they could see you with their eyes before, they still can. If they could see you with radar, they still can.

Instead it makes you more aware, as you can very quickly see the speed and bearings of all craft that are transmitting (somewhere like Gibraltar this could be anything up to 20 boats), along with the MMSI of those craft. In that sense receive only AIS improves safety for craft that have transponders, as well as the receive only craft.

Obviously in a perfect world, all craft would have some form of transponder, and software would never allow two craft to meet unless they were set to certain modes.
mikedefieslife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:58   #95
Registered User
 
hodgmo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Barbara
Boat: Islander 36
Posts: 46
Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Part of my point is that with receive only you are not participating, just listening. It may be just fine for you, but does nothing for other boats that would like to know what your are doing, just as you want to know what they are doing. That’s why AIS, by definition, is send receive.

And receive only AIS is VERY different from radar because with receive only AIS you are invisible to other boats. It’s what happens when you don’t participate.

Radar is fundamentally different because you can’t make yourself invisible to other boats. Just because your radar is “receive only” doesn’t impact other boats’ ability to see you.
Mikedefieslife and others get it, but tanglewood doesn't.

As I clearly described, it is possible to 'participate' using AIS-receive, it's just requires more work. AIS-receive is good, transponding AIS is better. Class B AIS is good, Class A is better (depending on how 'better' is defined).

While I agree that AIS and radar are very different, in fact they are complementary systems, I find Tanglewood's radar example to be off-the-mark: It suggests that he hasn't encountered boats that don't show up - a not too uncommon occurrence, especially with older radar systems and if the other boat has no radar reflectors, and/or the seas are large. Twice, in lively conditions, after I contacted them to confirm my intentions were acceptable, I've had ships ask me to turn on my strobe so they could see me because I didn't show clearly on their radar, even though I fly a radar reflector.

I'm not going to waste any more bandwidth on this silly pedantic tangent to an otherwise useful discussion!
hodgmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 15:36   #96
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Philippines
Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)
Posts: 143
Images: 3
Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
Mikedefieslife and others get it, but tanglewood doesn't.

As I clearly described, it is possible to 'participate' using AIS-receive, it's just requires more work. AIS-receive is good, transponding AIS is better. Class B AIS is good, Class A is better (depending on how 'better' is defined).

While I agree that AIS and radar are very different, in fact they are complementary systems, I find Tanglewood's radar example to be off-the-mark: It suggests that he hasn't encountered boats that don't show up - a not too uncommon occurrence, especially with older radar systems and if the other boat has no radar reflectors, and/or the seas are large. Twice, in lively conditions, after I contacted them to confirm my intentions were acceptable, I've had ships ask me to turn on my strobe so they could see me because I didn't show clearly on their radar, even though I fly a radar reflector.

I'm not going to waste any more bandwidth on this silly pedantic tangent to an otherwise useful discussion!
No! Tanglewood gets it and others don't. It's not about 'receive-only' being unsafe or irresponsible. Surely it's about contributing to the system. Hodgmo and others know they can monitor Class A because all Class A vessels must transmit. If all Class B users opted for 'receive-only' equipment, then Class B AIS would cease to exist - there would be no Class B vessels registered and visible. It would then be merely a system for monitoring Class A - extremely useful but a different animal!
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:33   #97
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 4,046
Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgmo View Post
Mikedefieslife and others get it, but tanglewood doesn't.

As I clearly described, it is possible to 'participate' using AIS-receive, it's just requires more work. AIS-receive is good, transponding AIS is better. Class B AIS is good, Class A is better (depending on how 'better' is defined).

I suspect most everybody gets it.

An AIS receive-only system helps you; doesn't directly help me. If your system helps you avoid colliding with me, of course I'm grateful but if you were transmitting I might have been better able to help with the "dodge" process. If nothing else, by knowing your vessel name to facilitate VHF hailing. (Or you could hail me to discuss encounter.)

That's not a criticism. I do agree that receive-only is better than nothing, etc., and I know sometimes budget-driven choices are what they are.

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:38   #98
Registered User
 
CapnCrunch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Boat: 1983 Lancer 44' Motorsailer
Posts: 111
Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
With regular Class B protocol, the transmission rate is fixed at every 30 seconds when the vessel is moving.]
At the risk of sounding stupid, I have never heard/read that a Class B AIS only transmits when the vessel is moving. Is this true? If so, that would explain why the barges passing me here on the Arkansas River when I'm in my slip dont "see" a signal from my AIS (Garmin Black Box).
__________________
Maybe this time the light at the end of the tunnel won't be an oncoming train!
CapnCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:47   #99
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 7,590
Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
At the risk of sounding stupid, I have never heard/read that a Class B AIS only transmits when the vessel is moving. Is this true? If so, that would explain why the barges passing me here on the Arkansas River when I'm in my slip dont "see" a signal from my AIS (Garmin Black Box).
Class B Stopped or sailing up to 2 knots: Every 3 Minutes
Class B Sailing faster than 2 knots: Every 30 Seconds
Paul L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:25   #100
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: French Polynesia
Boat: Allied 39
Posts: 747
Re: AIS Poll

Here is another reason to have a AIS transponder. There is an overdue vessel in French Polynesia waters that JRCC Papeete has put an advisory out on. yesterday. This sailboat was reported doing an inter island transit near to the atoll of Fakarava.

If the overdue vessel had an AIS transponder JRCC Papeete would be able to see the very last reported position via satellite subscription which all emergency centers have access to. In this case NO AIS data.

Amazes me that more vessels do NOT have AIS transponder while sailing. It is such a cheap upgrade and IMO so very useful.

Chuck
__________________
www.jacarandajourney.com
chouliha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:19   #101
Registered User

Join Date: May 2016
Location: Seattle Area
Boat: Catalina 36
Posts: 121
Re: AIS Poll

B transceiver
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 16:13   #102
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 800
Images: 1
Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
No! Tanglewood gets it and others don't. It's not about 'receive-only' being unsafe or irresponsible. Surely it's about contributing to the system. Hodgmo and others know they can monitor Class A because all Class A vessels must transmit. If all Class B users opted for 'receive-only' equipment, then Class B AIS would cease to exist - there would be no Class B vessels registered and visible. It would then be merely a system for monitoring Class A - extremely useful but a different animal!

That's what I meant. I think it's important that people "contribute" by transmitting, not just listen in.


Personally I've never encountered a target that was transmitting AIS and wasn't also detectable on radar. And my radar is on 100% of the time I'm underway. The same can't be said the other way around. The bottom line is that your "receive only" device is only useful because of those of us who are transmitting. You are welcome, and it would be nice if you returned the favor. I think receive-only has served an important roll in teaching people what AIS can do via an inexpensive entry point. But once you are convinced, it helps everyone if you step up to the real thing at some point.
__________________
www.MVTanglewood.com
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 20:45   #103
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Marina del Rey
Boat: Hunter 31
Posts: 863
Re: AIS Poll

Let's just go straight to the issue. AIS is useful but AIS transmit is expensive. There is no technical reason why is should be expensive, it is just a little bit of code to the radio firmware (ignore the detail about a second antenna, not needed on a recreational vessel) but I can see the argument that many recreational users will leave AIS transmit on all the time and this will become a problem in crowded marinas.

So, what can we do. One option is to spend $600 + install on a class B system but that has its problems as well, it is not powerful enough, it updates only every 30 sec and let's face it, it will be many years before, let's say half of the recreational boats install AIS transmit.

Another option is to leverage the DSC function. DSC in general is not used very much for routine calls (I think it is a bureaucratic issue, the menus are way too difficult to use). Would it be acceptable to use the DSC safety alert call to all ships to broadcast your position? Before you say no way, it was not designed for this, think about possible use cases:

- Low visibility, night sailing bad weather. Set your radio to safety call, all vessels, set the power to 1W (to limit the distribution) and send a simple message, this is SV xxx, so that ships around you know where you are (obviously do not do this in the marina). Send the message every 1 hour or when you shift ends, etc.

- Sailing offshore, before taking a nap, set power to 25W, send a message to all ships around you, SV xxx, captain will be sleeping for the next two hours, vessel not under command , wake up in 1.5 hours, resend message, sleep again - this is kind of a safety message when I think about it

I am curious what the Coast Guard will say about this use. On one hand, clearly outside the AIS system design and goals. On the other hand, it may be useful in some case and it costs nothing. Clearly, if cruising often one should get a proper AIS transmit device. By the way, are DSC calls picked up by satellites as well?

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 20:53   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bellingham
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 7,590
Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
That's what I meant. I think it's important that people "contribute" by transmitting, not just listen in.


Personally I've never encountered a target that was transmitting AIS and wasn't also detectable on radar. And my radar is on 100% of the time I'm underway. The same can't be said the other way around. The bottom line is that your "receive only" device is only useful because of those of us who are transmitting. You are welcome, and it would be nice if you returned the favor. I think receive-only has served an important roll in teaching people what AIS can do via an inexpensive entry point. But once you are convinced, it helps everyone if you step up to the real thing at some point.
Cases that come to mind as an exception to your experience are meeting on a blind curve on a river and in bad weather conditions such as a heavy downpour and large seas. The AIS signal is likely to be detected, the Radar target not likely to be detected on a small vessel.
Paul L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:26   #105
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 4,046
Re: AIS Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
- Low visibility, night sailing bad weather. Set your radio to safety call, all vessels, set the power to 1W (to limit the distribution) and send a simple message, this is SV xxx, so that ships around you know where you are (obviously do not do this in the marina). Send the message every 1 hour or when you shift ends, etc.

- Sailing offshore, before taking a nap, set power to 25W, send a message to all ships around you, SV xxx, captain will be sleeping for the next two hours, vessel not under command , wake up in 1.5 hours, resend message, sleep again - this is kind of a safety message when I think about it

Easier to just spend the $$$ and install an AIS transciever. Eliminates watch standing screw-ups. And the AIS signal plots on the receiver's display (for their watch stander's situational awareness), something a DSC position report may or may not do.

It's easy enough for me to spend your money, of course.

-Chris
__________________

__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ais, poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AIS AIT2000 from Digital Yachts with GV30 GPS+AIS Antenna SFH Marine Electronics 1 16-02-2014 16:19
For Sale: AIS-MULTI AIS Receiver with built in Antenna Splitter kokomodenny Classifieds Archive 1 17-09-2013 08:53
For Sale: Standard Horizon Matrix AIS+ GX 2150 VHF Radio/AIS Receiver with CMP30 Ram3 Second St westsailwill Classifieds Archive 6 23-04-2013 18:21
AIS Simulation - Run VDR to play AIS Nmea file rgleason OpenCPN 16 12-01-2013 10:28
Can You Get Radar & AIS Overlay on Laptop ? AIS Transceiver Recommendations ? lunasea.ds Marine Electronics 22 27-12-2010 13:06

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.