Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 05:16   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
AIS over NMEA 2000

If one believes this:

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: AIS over NMEA 2000, the shame sheet!

AIS over NMEA2000 is STILL not fully implemented -- the standard PNG's are STILL not implemented by all the makers.

I do NOT want to buy the crappy Navico AIS transponder, just so that it will be compatible with my B&G and Simrad MFD's.

I kind of like this one: Digital Yacht - Light Years Ahead. Which outputs to both NMEA2000 and NMEA0183, as well as USB directly to a PC. It will even accept power from the PC and work as an AIS receiver if it loses its main power supply. And it comes with its own (external) GPS receiver, all for less than $600.

But it sounds like Simrad MFD's will still only read the custom N2K PNGs output by Navico and Simrad AIS units. Carp.

I wonder if there is anything wrong with feeding AIS data over NMEA0183? The Simrad/B&G MFD's have NMEA0183 inputs and will (I am pretty sure) bridge the data to NMEA2000, or if not, they will certainly share the data with other MFD's over their Ethernet interconnections, which is all I really need anyway.

What do you guys think? And any other ideas about the best AIS black box transponder?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:52   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: AIS over NMEA 2000

The issue with using NMEA0183 to move the AIS data is just a matter of having to run more cables and taking up a 38.4k serial port. Not a big deal.

Take a look at the Emtrak B100 transceiver. These support USB, NMEA0183 and NMEA2K. You can buy them online in the US for $475. That is pretty darn cheap for RX and TX.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:56   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The issue is really purely related to static data because NmEA took so long to agree the pgn format. The position PGNs aw all ok But now it's not a big problem with software upgradable ais and MFDs I d suggest a friendly email to simrad. ( my understanding is certainly the touch versions of mfds are processing the NMEA static PGNs

I'd avoid all use of 0183 in a new install. It has no advantages

Dave
Old 09-12-2012, 05:56   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

There should be no problem using 0183. That is how we get our AIS data to the Furuno chartplotter and the computer. It is a PITA because separate 0183 cables must be run instead of just putting the data on the bus, and the whole point of our refit was to get rid of all 0183 stuff.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:50   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

FWIW, the Simrad NSO accept AIS dynamic data over N2k (from a EmTrak B100). As Dave mentions, it doesn't accept static data over N2k, at least for Class B.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:54   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There should be no problem using 0183. That is how we get our AIS data to the Furuno chartplotter and the computer. It is a PITA because separate 0183 cables must be run instead of just putting the data on the bus, and the whole point of our refit was to get rid of all 0183 stuff.

Mark
I'm still not quite getting why I should screw around with AIS over NMEA2000 when it's not ready for prime time yet. I need the static data -- everyone does. What are they thinking?

For me, NMEA0183 would be no extra cabling or problem -- the best place to mount the AIS is behind the instrument panel, and I could plug the Zeus NMEA0183 listener wires directly into the AIS.

I assume that everything, including the static data, does pass over NMEA0183 according to universally accepted PGN's?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:02   #7

From what I've found, most NMEA 0183 AIS units require position input from the GPS at 4800 baud, and transmit AIS data at 38400 baud.

The Simrad NSS won't transmit and recieve NMEA 0183 data at different baud rates. Change the rx rate to 38400, and you change the tx rate to 38400.

I haven't been able to get my 0183 AIS reciever to work with the NSS.

I sent an e-mail to their tech support site a while ago, have not received a reply yet.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 16:04   #8

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm still not quite getting why I should screw around with AIS over NMEA2000 when it's not ready for prime time yet. I need the static data -- everyone does. What are they thinking?

For me, NMEA0183 would be no extra cabling or problem -- the best place to mount the AIS is behind the instrument panel, and I could plug the Zeus NMEA0183 listener wires directly into the AIS.

I assume that everything, including the static data, does pass over NMEA0183 according to universally accepted PGN's?
It's a simple fact that we are between standardization and products supporting the standard. It'll happen with N2k via software updates. (Yeah, NMEA was sitting on their thumbs on this one.)

You don't need static data for collision avoidance or hailing via DSC.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, nmea