Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2018, 12:18   #1

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop
AIS - New Boat; Same Owner USA

So I'm just finally rigging up our navigation computer on the new boat and have a question. Yes I've consulted google and will continue to do so, but was hoping for a straight-talk, quick answer.

I have a Digital Yacht AIT3000 Class B Transponder. The MMSI was granted for our previous 31' boat in my name. My understanding is that the MMSI is linked to the owner, rather than the boat. I can change everything other than the MMSI in ProAIS2, including the call sign.

So the question is. How do I update my boat information? Is there a way to do it online? As I recall, I applied for the MMSI through the FCC. It was rather slow and involved paper and stamps. Any chance this can be done online?

Thanks in advance. I am not big on either electronics or administrative work. Usually the admiral handles that, so I'm working above my pay grade.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 12:32   #2

Boat: '78 Hatteras 48LRC, 48' 10"
Re: AIS - New Boat; Same Owner USA

This page seems to answer your questions and more.

Good luck!
Greg Brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 09:40   #3

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Atmartin,

You will need a new MMSI for your new boat, and it will be different than your olde one. If you don't intend to get a radio license for your new boat (which will also get you an MMSI) then I would get one from BoatUS or one of the other non-FCC sources.
The process for obtaining a new MMSI is well detailed in the page Greg sent you.

To get your AIS reprogrammed with the new MMSI will require contact with the manufacturer or one of their dealers/shops. Digital Yacht is supposed to have a good customer service reputation, I'd contact them as soon as you have your new MMSI.

73 DE Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 05:48   #4

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmartin View Post
...My understanding is that the MMSI is linked to the owner, rather than the boat.
My understanding of MMSI is different; the MMSI is associated with the boat.

In your case of new boat you need a new MMSI. In your case of carrying old electronic gear from one boat to another, you need the "advice of the factory" to change the MMSI in the old gear to match the new boat.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 05:52   #5

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmartin View Post
... As I recall, I applied for the MMSI through the FCC. It was rather slow and involved paper and stamps. Any chance this can be done online?
The FCC has a completely on-line licensing system. The only use of "stamps" and "paper" will be when the FCC mails the actual license certificate to you. You can print via PDF a "reference" copy of your license. Considering the size and scope of FCC licensing, their response time to my application for a ship station license was extremely fast, a few days at most.

Go to:

FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS): ULS Home

Before you can use ULS, you need an FCC Reference Number or FRN. Recover your prior FRN or apply for one for the first time at

http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.ht...etting_started

For advice from the FCC re ship radio stations see

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...radio-stations
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 18:59   #6

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Many thanks for all the advice.
I should have responded sooner, but getting the new boat ready for a shakedown cruise has been taking all my time plus a little extra.

First mate called the FCC Monday morning and they were very helpful. We cancelled the existing license, which took either one or two days and then applied for a new one with the same MMSI. The call sign has changed and now I'll have to figure out how to change things over on Marinetraffic, but that's hardly a big deal.

So it is possible to change MMSI to a different boat. That's awesome because I'd just finished a tidy install of the AIT3000 which also provides the GPS signal to our ships computer and the idea of having to send it out was making me very cranky.

The caveat is that it will take some time to receive the refund for the previous station, but whatever.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, boat