Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2019, 12:38   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
AIS Military vessel alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipe View Post
Yes, they have their own type of AIS. My friend has a home-built kit plane with an AIS on it. I don't recall if it was the transceiver type or not. He gave me the impression that it is now an FAA requirement.

It is an FAA requirement, a new one, even though the equipment is outdated.
It’s called ADSB, it sort of like AIS but you also receive weather radar etc from ground stations.
I am waiting for the price to come down and it be a one box solution, currently most need a new transponder and an ADSB, so you could be talking about $10,000 in electronics to put into a $10,000 airplane so you can fly around the countryside on weekends, it will stop a lot of the old guys flying their inexpensive old Cessna’s around farming country.
To me it’s a gross overreach of government control under the guise of safety, but that is just me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 15:02   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: AIS Military vessel alarm

Quote:
Getting substantially less than 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep causes real physiological harm and turns your mind into mush. Prolonged sleep deprivation causes permanent irreversible cognitive harm
I guess that explains why Thomas Edison never amounted to much! At least according to biographers, he never slept more than 4 hours a day.

I suspect that there is considerable variation in the requirement for sleep between individuals, and that some can do well on less that the stipulated 5 hours/day.

Jim
Old 17-04-2019, 17:27   #33
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I guess that explains why Thomas Edison never amounted to much! At least according to biographers, he never slept more than 4 hours a day.

I suspect that there is considerable variation in the requirement for sleep between individuals, and that some can do well on less that the stipulated 5 hours/day.

Jim
Mr. Edison did have a habit for exaggeration. Perhaps his claimed short sleep periods were his explanation for having so many patents -- when in fact he was running a patent sweat shop for which he took all credit for all inventions. But... the data from Mr. Edison is just anecdotal anyway. I prefer a more scientific set of sources. Here are some, with excerpts:

Sleep debt has a harmful impact on carbohydrate metabolism and endocrine function. The effects are similar to those seen in normal ageing and, therefore, sleep debt may increase the severity of age-related chronic disorders.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10543671/

... chronic sleep loss, behavioral or sleep disorder related, may represent a novel risk factor for weight gain, insulin resistance, and Type 2 diabetes.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16227462/

Short sleep over a prolonged period may be associated with an increased risk of mortality: men and women who reported sleeping fewer than 7 h in 24 on two occasions between 4 and 7 years apart, had greater risk of dying from any cause over a 25 year period than those who reported sleeping 7-8 h on both occasions that they were questioned.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14592192/

Certainly, the need for sleep is variable among individuals. The science states that need is between 7 and 10 hours a day.

Here's a less academic source:

Wake up, people: You're fooling yourself about sleep, study says

I had a boss once who would say: "I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead." To which I replied: "Which you will be sooner if you don't get enough sleep." She died at the ripe old age of 46. Heart disease. But that too is just anecdotal evidence. There's been a lot of scientific knowledge gained in the last few years about sleep. I encourage anyone to seek it out.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 17:52   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

I think the minimum requirements for solo for me are a AIS transponder and a radar with a watch facility. Only time you need t be awake all the time is in coastal areas where fishing fleets abound ! This is normally up to 100-150 moles offshore !
Old 08-05-2019, 02:07   #35

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBowSirocco View Post
It seems to me based on my study of solo sailing, (I hope to do some in the future) that the best time for a solo sailor to get sleep is in the daytime when your vessel is most visible to others and hazards are most visible to you.

Do you choose to rely on the nav equipment during your naps at night because that is when your accustomed to sleeping and have to sleep?
Basically I sleep or nap or just lay down for between 15 to 30 minutes at night, the AIS just lets me rest a bit easier. Most of my sailing has been between Miami, Bahamas, T&C and DR. Mostly overnight sails with mostly zero other ships in sight. The exception being Miami to Bimini where is fas a fishing boat hell (can’t blame the boat it’s an arrogant captain issue). I sometimes sleep longer if I feel it’s safe the AIS has a 24 mile range so I can get a feeling for traffic. Between George Town Exuma and Grand Turk I was becalmed three days and slept as I would at anchor. Between T&C and Luperon 36 hours of hell was zero sleep... it’s a feast or famine thing you do what is appropriate in the conditions.

Regards Steven
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:12   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
I think the minimum requirements for solo for me are a AIS transponder and a radar with a watch facility. Only time you need t be awake all the time is in coastal areas where fishing fleets abound ! This is normally up to 100-150 moles offshore !
Radar would be nice but I have a small vessel and budget. Now that I have got a feel for sailing I.e I’m no longer just talk. I’ll probably upgrade to the 36-38’ range of boat and install better equipment... maybe... I do like small boat sailing though....
Old 08-05-2019, 03:03   #37

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’ve never heard of an aircraft transmitting AIS, it’s possible of course, but wonder why one would?
In Australia the maritime rescue planes and helicopters transmit AIS as do some other planes/helicopters including helicopters taking pilots out to coal ships off Queensland and Newcastle.

Royal Australian Navy vessels often transmit AIS and always do when heading in and out of port and when navigating narrow or defined channels (like on the Great Barrier Reef). Some have their name, some just have "Australian Warship" as the name. On the various AIS websites, the correct ship always comes up in the photos.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:09   #38

Boat: Triswood 35, "L'interdit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
All the Search and Rescue helicopters here in Ireland transmit AIS.

Same same here in Malaysia
Vortec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 14:52   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I’ve never heard of an aircraft transmitting AIS, it’s possible of course, but wonder why one would?
There is a large commercial harbor in Newcastle, Australia. It is located on the Hunter River, and the entry can be tricky for large ships. The pilots are often helicoptered out to the ships at the pilot station. Those helicopters transmit AIS. They go pretty fast!

Ann
Old 14-02-2020, 21:31   #40

I’m just closing the loop on this one, after I wrote this first post the AIS was intermittent not sure why. But when the mast came down during Dorian I found the vhf antenna was rusted out at its base. Maybe caused the malfunction. It will be some time before I get the mast up again. But I’ll let everyone know what happens. Funny the voice worked fine but the ais part went to hell. Hope this helps someone.

Regards Steven
Old 14-02-2020, 21:40   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
You'd have to ask the SAR people for why they do it, but the SAR helicopters used here are our only AIS targets that go that fast! Maybe it helps the shore stations keep track of their progress, too. Gotta get the ambulance to their arrival spots. ...but that's just a guess on my part.

Some of the fire fighting helos show up on AIS, too. And, now I think on it, some of the ports helicopter out the pilots for the ships, and they, too have AIS.

Ann
Old 15-02-2020, 02:10   #42

Boat: Challenger 36

Sailing about 50nm off Australian coast I did my mandatory 20min horizon sweep, and identified lights of a vessel nearby, just the nav lights. On checking my AIS there was nothing. So I called on VHF nearby vessel, Stating my position, noting that I could not determine if we were on a collision course as they were not transmitting AIS. No response from the first call, but finally after calling again there was a response. I can confirm that Australian Naval vessels travel without transmitting AIS.
PegasusIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, alarm