Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2018, 06:00   #1

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
AIS different brands any good??

Checking AIS transponders with screen besides the most known Icom and Vespers ran into these two products in Amazon,prices are competitive and like if there members who have experience with these two manufactures

Matsutec

ONWA

thank you
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 13:51   #2

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat
Re: AIS different brands any good??

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
...ran into these two [AIS] products in Amazon...
Are you in the USA?

Boaters in the USA need to have an AIS transmitter approved by the USCG and FCC. I doubts either of the two brands you mention are USCG and FCC approved for sale in the USA and approved for use on USA boats.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 15:14   #3

well,yes am in USA and those two brands sell in Amazon?
Old 21-05-2018, 17:50   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

iCom and Vesper are very well-respected companies and they make good stuff. Vesper in particular is legendary for both value in the product, and great support. Not to mention the frequent firmware updates - no "legacy - out of support" issues with them!

This just doesn't seem like an area where you want to "go cheap."
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 17:54   #5

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
iCom and Vesper are very well-respected companies and they make good stuff. Vesper in particular is legendary for both value in the product, and great support. Not to mention the frequent firmware updates - no "legacy - out of support" issues with them!

Vesper. Don't waste time on anything else.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 17:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Agree wholeheartedly,was curious only.
thank you very much
Old 21-05-2018, 18:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
Are you in the USA?

Boaters in the USA need to have an AIS transmitter approved by the USCG and FCC. I doubts either of the two brands you mention are USCG and FCC approved for sale in the USA and approved for use on USA boats.
I don't know what USCG approval is needed, but EVERY radio needs FCC approval.

The KEY difference in the USA is that it is illegal to program the AIS yourself with the information about the boat, it must be done by the seller of the device. I used to think this was regulatory over-reach, but I have seen too many people who transmitted information that was wrong, and confusing because they couldn't handle the process.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 06:59   #8

[QUOTE=billknny;2636678]I don't know what USCG approval is needed..../QUOTE]

The process of approval for AIS transmitters in the USA requires the USCG must first approve their operation, then the FCC approves their transmitters.

To learn more about the approval process, see

AIS Class B Transponders: Recent USCG Approvals
AIS Class B Transponders: Recent USCG Approvals - CONTINUOUSWAVE
Old 22-05-2018, 07:06   #9

Quote:
well,yes am in USA and those two brands sell in Amazon?
I wouldn't take the ability to buy something from an on-line seller as evidence of certification by the FCC and USCG. I recently saw a documentary in which the highly controlled drug Fentanyl could be ordered on-line from China for delivery in the USA. I wouldn't be surprised you could buy an AIS transponder, too.

All radio devices to be sold in the USA need an FCCID number. Ask for the FCCID number of the device you plan to purchase.

Approved AIS transponders are listed by the USCG. For some guidance see

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...on/navigation/
Old 22-05-2018, 07:49   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I don't know what USCG approval is needed, but EVERY radio needs FCC approval.

The KEY difference in the USA is that it is illegal to program the AIS yourself with the information about the boat, it must be done by the seller of the device. I used to think this was regulatory over-reach, but I have seen too many people who transmitted information that was wrong, and confusing because they couldn't handle the process.
The boat's MMSI number is programmed by the seller. With Vesper, I can change the boat information and location of the antennas through using vmAIS,

Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 07:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I don't know what USCG approval is needed....
The process of approval for AIS transmitters in the USA requires the USCG must first approve their operation, then the FCC approves their transmitters.

To learn more about the approval process, see

AIS Class B Transponders: Recent USCG Approvals
AIS Class B Transponders: Recent USCG Approvals - CONTINUOUSWAVE[/QUOTE]
Old 22-05-2018, 07:59   #12

I used both McMurdo and Vesper AIS transponders. If you compare features, the Vesper is hands down a better unit. The XB-8000 (which I installed) multiplexes the boat NMEA data and broadcasts via wifi; the McMurdo broadcasts GPS and AIS, but doesn't multiplex other boat data. The McMurdo is rebadged Camino unit. The Vesper unit is actively supported and their customer support is very helpful.

Using both, the Vesper XB-8000 seems like a better unit and fits my needs perfectly. In addition to a solid AIS transponder, the wifi acts as a central data hub and makes boat NMEA data (GPS, depth, speed, wind...) and AIS targets available via wifi for my laptop and tablet. I'm very happy with the Vesper XB-8000.

Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 08:41   #13

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

I have a Matsutec HP-33A. I've only recently got it up and running, so am getting to know it. I don't know if it's certified for use in the USA. What I do know is that:

a) It was about half the price of the Vesper Marine and

b) The HP-33 is not just an AIS B. It also has a good GPS unit in it with a wide range of functions and screens.

If you want functionality then the HP-33A is well worth a look.

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 08:48   #14

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Checking AIS transponders with screen besides the most known Icom and Vespers ran into these two products in Amazon,prices are competitive and like if there members who have experience with these two manufactures

Matsutec

ONWA

thank you
Davil,

I can't help with the brands you asked about.

As a Vesper Watchmate veteran [850 and Vision]- and since you asked about AIS transceivers with screens- be advised Vesper recently released their 2nd generation Watchmate Vision model; Vision2. [Vision is their color touchscreen model. The Vision2 is the latest model with a better, capacitive, touchscreen- in addition to other improvements.]

I mention this in case you decide to go with a Vesper Vision- be sure to get the newest model [Vision2] as the retail price is the same as the original model.

And speaking of support, as an original Vision owner they offered to upgrade [i.e., not replace] my unit for a reasonably discounted price [regardless of warranty status; less than 50%...]

In case this is helpful.

Cheers! Bill
Old 22-05-2018, 08:54   #15

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
The boat's MMSI number is programmed by the seller. With Vesper, I can change the boat information and location of the antennas through using vmAIS,

Don
I just did this a few days ago on my Vesper XB-8000. The only wobble was I needed to download USB drivers. Of course, in Canada, the boat owner inputs the federally issued MMSI, not the seller, a point I had to make clear to the U.S. vendor of my Vesper unit.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais