Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 22:09   #46
Marine Service Provider

Re: AIS different brands any good??

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
I don't think the GROL license applies specifically to MMSI or other AIS static data entry.
That's right. The regulation doesn't permit programming the MMSI by an end user or boat owner regardless of any license they may have. Rather strict as sailjumanji points out and tends to be a pain for everyone involved I'm afraid.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:27   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I've got a new-build catamaran on its way to the US. Will be here in a month. Taking delivery in Miami as we planned to head to Bahamas right after commissioning. Applied for documentation number, but afraid that will be delayed by government shutdown. After I get that, can apply to FCC for ships station license and MMSI. THEN can order an AIS, once I have MMSI number. Thought I would try to gain some time by ordering the AIS - even buy direct from Vesper New Zealand - but they refused as US law says they have to program units sold in US. If you're a US consumer, the restrictions are pretty tight.

I found a way around this. I applied early for the FCC license, and used the HIN rather than the Doc No. That allowed me to get the SA license, MMSI, and AIS well in advance of the boat being ready to go.

Otherwise you are in a real pickle, as you describe. Documenting a new boat can easily take 6 months under normal conditions, and this shutdown will likely push it out months more.

Another workaround that I explored, but didn't try, is to get the USCG Doc No assigned in advance. It can be done, but I don't recall what paperwork is required, and how far along the build needs to be. But there is a way to get the number assigned, even though you won't be fully documented until the whole process is complete.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:44   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Check Panbo, there are some AIS units that don't respond under certain situations. It seems to be related to a certain chip.

AIS issues: Garmin, Navico, McMurdo, AMEC and SRT
Garmin still not displaying AIS AtoNs

https://www.panbo.com/ais-issues-gar...-amec-and-srt/
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:11   #49

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
...Garmin still not displaying AIS AtoNs

https://www.panbo.com/ais-issues-gar...-amec-and-srt/
Apparently Garmin is "still" working on a fix.

Of course, when it's ready, that new fix will be available to any Garmin MFD purchased within the last 15 or 20 minutes.

Otherwise, you have a "legacy" device and need to throw it away and buy a new one. Gotta love Garmin support!

Sigh.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 13:09   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

An article to be aware of for sure.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:07   #51

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
I found a way around this. I applied early for the FCC license, and used the HIN rather than the Doc No. That allowed me to get the SA license, MMSI, and AIS well in advance of the boat being ready to go.

Otherwise you are in a real pickle, as you describe. Documenting a new boat can easily take 6 months under normal conditions, and this shutdown will likely push it out months more.

Another workaround that I explored, but didn't try, is to get the USCG Doc No assigned in advance. It can be done, but I don't recall what paperwork is required, and how far along the build needs to be. But there is a way to get the number assigned, even though you won't be fully documented until the whole process is complete.
Thanks for the FCC advice, and I'll check it out. RE the documentation number, govt won't do it without a builders certificate. That's not issued until near completion. Plus we had to get the original for submission. That said, the doc company we are using said that overseas boats heading to US get priority handling as quick as a couple of weeks. It's just that govt needs to be open to process! Ditto for FCC. Plus since we are going full Monte, I also have a passport undergoing renewal!
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais