Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2018, 05:48   #31

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: AIS different brands any good??

Not sure about today, but when I bought my XB-8000, the price was nearer the low end of the pack. I thought the NMEA over WiFi would just be gravy, but it turns out to be a huge benefit.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 06:27   #32

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Davil,

I can't help with the brands you asked about.

As a Vesper Watchmate veteran [850 and Vision]- and since you asked about AIS transceivers with screens- be advised Vesper recently released their 2nd generation Watchmate Vision model; Vision2. [Vision is their color touchscreen model. The Vision2 is the latest model with a better, capacitive, touchscreen- in addition to other improvements.]

I mention this in case you decide to go with a Vesper Vision- be sure to get the newest model [Vision2] as the retail price is the same as the original model.

And speaking of support, as an original Vision owner they offered to upgrade [i.e., not replace] my unit for a reasonably discounted price [regardless of warranty status; less than 50%...]

In case this is helpful.

Cheers! Bill
Bill
Yes it helps a lot,I was curious about those new advertised units,however,these are items strictly installed for one single reason,safety and survival,they may be good units but lack recorded history and customer base experience,no question asked,will go with the Vesper and truly appreciated your comments on the new version,that will do.
Thank you everybody for the sound advice provided,Vesper is,
Take care
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:41   #33

I have a Matsutec and absolutely love it! I have a GROL, so programming it was legal for me, but you are supposed to have a licensed person do it. You won’t be sorry with this unit . It does everything it claims and more.
pacesetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:47   #34

The Matsutec does comply with part 80 and part 15. The sticking point with the first units was that the MMSI number could be reprogrammed, if you made a mistake. That was the only issue with it. They corrected that issue and it is legal as long as a licensed individual programs in that mmsi number. Seems like a silly rule, and some people seem to get hung up on it and even post to amazon in areas they appear to not have a great deal of knowledge on
Old 09-06-2018, 05:17   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

I have the ONWA KP 1299 chart plotter with built in AIS transceiver. I love it. Customer service out of UK is excellent Aves Marine Ltd is an appointed U.K Distributor for Onwa Marine navigation equipment. Ask for Alan Vick
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 23:57   #36
Marine Service Provider

Neither the Matsutec or ONWA are FCC approved devices. They are illegal to operate within US waters. Being able to restrict MMSI changes is only a minor part of the requirements and USCG approval is a prerequisite for FCC equipment approval.

Besides the legality issue... AIS is a cooperative safety system. The type approval process is strict because it's in place to among other things ensure the equipment operates properly, AIS reception meets the requirements without dropping packets, transmissions meet AIS specs, it correctly synchronizes with other vessels, and honors all the various commands, frequencies and reservations. It's quite complex and if it doesn't do it absolutely correctly then besides making your own boat invisible or not receiving other vessels, it can cause interference and degrade the effectiveness of the whole system within its range. It could potentially make AIS reception unusable for everyone in a particular area. It's a serious thing that any conscientious manufacturer would want to ensure they are doing right and would welcome the required independent lab testing and regulatory approval.

FYI: We've recently been notified that USCG has started sending enforcement notices to boat owners if their vessel information isn't entered correctly but I don't know if they've begun enforcing non-approved equipment yet.

BTW: Each specific model must have its own FCC approval and there are other well known brands and models of AIS transponders being sold in the US which do not have FCC approval. If you are interested, have a look at https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...ericSearch.cfm, select the AIS Equipment Class and increase the number of results to 200. You can click on the applicant name to sort and then look at the model number. You'll find that some manufacturers are missing entirely or only have one or two old models listed.
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:07   #37

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacesetter View Post
...I have a GROL, so programming [the MMSI into an AIS transmitter] was legal for me...
I hold an FCC General Radio Operator License (GROL), too. Can you mention where in the FCC regulations the GROL authorizes the licensee to program an AIS transmitter with an MMSI?
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 18:06   #38

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Vesper. I have had the WatchMate for years and now updating. Anytime I had a problem I would email and got a response within 48 hours, generally 24. Would buy again without hesitation. I am in the Caribbean and sail yearly up to the bvi’s.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 13:51   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
I hold an FCC General Radio Operator License (GROL), too. Can you mention where in the FCC regulations the GROL authorizes the licensee to program an AIS transmitter with an MMSI?

That IS the requirement for making adjustments to radio equipment.
Old 06-01-2019, 18:37   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacesetter View Post
That IS the requirement for making adjustments to radio equipment.

Interesting question whether programming an AIS is making an adjustment to the radio as contemplated by the FCC, and requires any special license. I would say No, because it doen't change the radio characteristics in any way. All you are changing is the data communicated by the radio.
Old 06-01-2019, 21:33   #41
Marine Service Provider

Relevant excerpt from FCC regulations:

47 CFR §80.231 Technical Requirements for Class B Automatic Identification System (AIS) equipment

(b) ... The entry of static data into a Class B AIS device shall be performed by the vendor of the device or by an appropriately qualified person in the business of installing marine communications equipment on board vessels. In no event shall the entry of static data into a Class B AIS device be performed by the user of the device or the licensee of a ship station using the device. ...

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/...-sec80-231.xml
jeffrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:10   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Not sure about today, but when I bought my XB-8000, the price was nearer the low end of the pack. I thought the NMEA over WiFi would just be gravy, but it turns out to be a huge benefit.
==============================================
time fly when having fun? refitting.!!!!!!
I am posting on this thread that I opened as to keep all the good info and time members gave me.
Am almost there,only two more electronic items to buy.
PLB and Vesper.
Initially waited for end of year sales however Vesper does keep a very narrow range of offers,and was nothing exciting, now have to select the model.
If money was not an issue will just buy the Vision.
I might have to bite the bullet on that but before like to make sure.
Since last initial question I upgraded my Standard Horizon radio to a Matrix AIS/GPSGX22000 and a RAM 3+ to have a remote by the steering pedestal.
Both units display AIS targets.

Question: has anybody compared displays of targets on Standard Horizon vs Vespers at the same time?
If both acquire the SAME targets will go with the VESPER MARINE XB-8000 AIS TRANSPONDER WITH WIFI for $ 740.00. and that will cover both receiving and transmitting my position,plus the ability to display on other gizmos (tablets,laptops,radar screen etc.)
If you have noticed there is a difference on targets and the Vespers do show more targets/info/WITHIN SAME RANGE. then will make sense (to me) to spend the extra money on a Vision.
As always,thank you for your time and patience.
David
Old 07-01-2019, 19:18   #43

disregard last question
went ahead and order the Vision have to admit the extra money justifies the added features,oh well if I ever find a way to "save" will post.
thanks
Old 07-01-2019, 21:00   #44

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrobbins View Post
Relevant excerpt from FCC regulations:

....In no event shall the entry of static data into a Class B AIS device be performed by the user of the device or the licensee of a ship station using the device.
That is a funny regulation. I guess that means I cannot enter static data into an MMSI transmitter on my own boat, even if I have the relevant FCC license.

And I am similarly skeptical as is TANGLEWOOD. I don't think the GROL license applies specifically to MMSI or other AIS static data entry.

There is an FCC license called a GMDSS MAINTAINER license. It is several elements in common with GROL, and an extra element on GMDSS techniques.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 21:20   #45

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I've got a new-build catamaran on its way to the US. Will be here in a month. Taking delivery in Miami as we planned to head to Bahamas right after commissioning. Applied for documentation number, but afraid that will be delayed by government shutdown. After I get that, can apply to FCC for ships station license and MMSI. THEN can order an AIS, once I have MMSI number. Thought I would try to gain some time by ordering the AIS - even buy direct from Vesper New Zealand - but they refused as US law says they have to program units sold in US. If you're a US consumer, the restrictions are pretty tight.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais