Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2014, 10:00   #1

Boat: Hylas 47
AIS Data via Actisense NGW-1 to NSS8

Here is the background. I have a Simrad NSS8 and Standard Horizon GX2100 that I am having a small issue with. If I hook up the AIS output of the GX2100 to the NMEA 0183 input of the NSS8, everything works perfectly. The issue is that I would like to have the NSS8 also interfaced to my Raymarine autopilot, which needs to also happen via NMEA 0183. Since the NSS8 only has one 0183 port, I decided to purchase an Actisense NGW-1. The idea is with the NGW-1 I would convert the AIS data to NMEA2K and add it to that network, which would free up the 0183 port for the autopilot.

There is just one small problem. All the vessels show up as before on the NSS8, however a number of the triangle icons are pointing in the wrong direction. So you have the triangle pointing in a very different than the track over ground. It is as if the ship heading data is not being properly processed through the Actisense NGW-1. I simultaneously have the AIS data stream being fed to a pc running OpenCPN, and this displays everything perfectly - so I know there is no problem with the data coming out of the SH GX2100. I do have the recent update to the NSS installed.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I have written to Actisense, but have not received a response yet. I thought that with all the smart folks on this board, one of you might have an idea.

Greg
gdavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 12:31   #2

Re: AIS Data via Actisense NGW-1 to NSS8

Where does you heading info come form? GPS (only provides heading when the boat is moving)? If GPS, is it external, or the one build into the NSS8? Does the auto pilot have a rate compass or fluxgate compass?

And what generation Raymarine auto pilot? I think the newer ones support N2K, but Ray calls it SeaTalkNG if I remember correctly.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 12:40   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Firstly , AIS over N2K needs the very latest software installed on the NSS so check that you have that before going any further

Secondly the Actisense NGW has a special version that does AIS, ( and that needs the latest firmware) . Check you have the ISO-AIS version of the NGW

dave
Old 18-01-2014, 12:44   #4

I imagine the heading info on ships/ferries etc. comes from an electronic compass. That data should be part of their AIS transmission. My Raymarine autopilot seems to have limited N2K support on the STNG port.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-01-2014, 13:05   #5
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
My Raymarine autopilot seems to have limited N2K support on the STNG port.
how did you determine that , if you don't mind me asking

dave
Old 18-01-2014, 23:17   #6

if you click on the targets on the plotter and get info does it show their heading? both COG and heading? this would be coming from their ais transmissions.

what /cog heading do you get in the 2100 menu for the same vessel?

do they match? or is this data value off?

I wonder if the data vaule is wrong, or if the screen is just flipping the icon. (but still showing a correct vaule in the boats info screen)

strange problem. if the actual data number is being flipped that would be weird.

A nmea 183 multiplexer would work. and just have the ais and pilot use 183
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 14:09   #7

I have the latest 3.0 software in my NSS8. The NGW-1 is the AIS version.

I had thought about using an NMEA 0183 multiplexer for everything, but the NGW-1 cost less and I thought the wider bandwidth of the N2K network would be less stressed by the AIS data.

What appears to be happening is that with every update of AIS data from a vessel, it's heading data is randomly different. This is also shown by clicking on the ship's icon for full AIS data. Everything else including COG is correct. It is disconcerting to see the ship's triangle pointing in a randomly different direction than it is actually traveling. A small number of vessels seem to display the correct heading info consistently. So to be clear, the data value is wrong; it's not just the NSS screen flipping the icon directions around. If I hook the AIS wires to the 0183 port directly this problem goes away, but then I can't interface with the autopilot.

Am I wrong to think that the NGW-1-ISO-AIS should be able to correctly pass on all AIS data to the N2K bus, and then have it correctly displayed on the NSS8?

I do have the Raymarine autopilot STNG port hooked up to the N2K bus, but it only seems to be good for getting the 10Hz heading data of my own boat. I was told by Raymarine that this model autopilot (X30) has very limited N2K support, so this was not a surprise.

Greg
Old 19-01-2014, 14:27   #8

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavids View Post

I had thought about using an NMEA 0183 multiplexer for everything, but the NGW-1 cost less and I thought the wider bandwidth of the N2K network would be less stressed by the AIS data.

What appears to be happening is that with every update of AIS data from a vessel, it's heading data is randomly different. This is also shown by clicking on the ship's icon for full AIS data. Everything else including COG is correct. It is disconcerting to see the ship's triangle pointing in a randomly different direction than it is actually traveling. A small number of vessels seem to display the correct heading info consistently. So to be clear, the data value is wrong; it's not just the NSS screen flipping the icon directions around. If I hook the AIS wires to the 0183 port directly this problem goes away, but then I can't interface with the autopilot.

Am I wrong to think that the NGW-1-ISO-AIS should be able to correctly pass on all AIS data to the N2K bus, and then have it correctly displayed on the NSS8?

I do have the Raymarine autopilot STNG port hooked up to the N2K bus, but it only seems to be good for getting the 10Hz heading data of my own boat. I was told by Raymarine that this model autopilot (X30) has very limited N2K support, so this was not a surprise.

Greg
FWIW, I found that my RM X10 AP will only accept nav data on the STng bus in BTW=magnetic. It'll ignore BTW=true. I don't know what the NSS outputs, but Furuno NN3D outputs BTW=magnetic, hence my RM X10 AP gets Furuno nav data via N2K.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 14:33   #9

Quote:

Greg
It's sounding like a bug in the Actisense device. I'd make the next step a discussion with them.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 15:36   #10
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
It's sounding like a bug in the Actisense device. I'd make the next step a discussion with them.
Yes indeed it does

Dave
Old 22-01-2014, 12:26   #11

Here is a quick update foir those of you helping me figure this out. Actisense had me send them a recording of the AIS data from the radio. They then reported back that this is a known problem and they should be coming out with new firmware to fix this soon. Because of the way they are going about trying to fix this, they told me that the beta version is not something they can release for me to test. Hopefully the fix will be out soon.

Frankly I am a bit surprised that such a major bug is only now being addressed. I would have thought this would have been noticed and fixed almost immediately.

Greg
Old 02-05-2014, 11:11   #12

Final update on this issue with the Actisense NGW-1 AIS. They just sent me a new beta firmware (2.410) which solved the issue of the on screen AIS ship icons not pointing in the correct direction. If anyone else sees this problem, email their tech support and ask for this firmware.

Greg
Old 31-05-2014, 04:45   #13

Boat: Roberts 25' Adventurer

Quote:
Here is a quick update foir those of you helping me figure this out. Actisense had me send them a recording of the AIS data from the radio. They then reported back that this is a known problem and they should be coming out with new firmware to fix this soon. Because of the way they are going about trying to fix this, they told me that the beta version is not something they can release for me to test. Hopefully the fix will be out soon.

Frankly I am a bit surprised that such a major bug is only now being addressed. I would have thought this would have been noticed and fixed almost immediately.

Greg
known problem translates as "we now know after you brought it to our attention".
beta version is not something they can release for me to test translates as "we don't have anything to send you because we didn't know there was a problem until you told us but we hate to look stupid and not in control so we use fancy terms to sound as if we are on the ball."

The very fact that that they sent you the so-called beta version sometime later kinda proves my point.
Greg Shakeshaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais