Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 09:58   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: AIS & Raymarine e7 - Set up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooplax View Post
Right... So..

Cheapest way receive AIS onto a RayMarine e7 chart plotter would be

1, Purchase something like the Standard Horizon VHF GX2150 with AIS for about £280 ish...

Otherwise

2, I would need to purchase an AIS Receiver with built in GPS + VHF Ariel (or a VHF splitter) Approx £350 +...

However - If I want to "receive AIS signals and be visible to other AIS users" on my Raymarine e7

3, Then I really need to get a stand alone Send & receive Transponder with built in GPS antenna (£400 - £600) + an AIS splitter (£200) or separate VHF Ariel (£100).. Total approx £650+

Does that sound about right?
I think you've got the idea now.

However, for absolute cheapest, here in canada you can buy a black box receiver to use with your existing CP (or PC) for about $200 cdn. The cheapest VHF with AIS is about $300. The real feature of the VHF with AIS is that its easy to install...goes where your existing radio is located. And if you need a new VHF anyway, the total cost is lower. However, if you already have a VHF radio and a CP, the $200 receiver is less money, but one more box to install (that needs power, and a place to mount). I think the AIS receiver black box has connection for VHF antenna IN, and OUT to your vhf radio.

Ultimately, the choice depends greatly on your boat and what equipment you already have installed. Again, for greater safety, I would recommend the class B. With the receiver only, you can see other vessels, but you remain invisible.

There is also some debate if some vessels should transmit AIS data. For example, miltary vessels and oil tankers. Do we really want possible terrorists to know the exact location, course and speed of a supertanker? Also, do you want to transmit AIS data in areas known for armed pirates?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 09:59   #17

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

The GPS Store has the GX2200 (GPS+AIS+VHF) for $320 - $40 MIR (Defender is $350 - $40)
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 10:00   #18

Is there no such thing as a VHF with an AIS Transponder already built in??

Why have they only created a VHF with AIS "receiver" option?? seems a bit strange to me...
zooplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 10:04   #19

Quote:
Right... So..

Cheapest way receive AIS onto a RayMarine e7 chart plotter would be

1, Purchase something like the Standard Horizon VHF GX2150 with AIS for about £280 ish...

Otherwise

2, I would need to purchase an AIS Receiver with built in GPS + VHF Ariel (or a VHF splitter) Approx £350 +...

However - If I want to "receive AIS signals and be visible to other AIS users" on my Raymarine e7

3, Then I really need to get a stand alone Send & receive Transponder with built in GPS antenna (£400 - £600) + an AIS splitter (£200) or separate VHF Ariel (£100).. Total approx £650+

Does that sound about right?
Yes and no

The AIS receiver does not need the GPS, it's only the VHF DSC/AIS units that need the GPS when receiving.

Most transponders have an external GPS antenna which is probably included in the price.
Old 20-04-2015, 10:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Ultimately, the choice depends greatly on your boat and what equipment you already have installed. Again, for greater safety, I would recommend the class B. With the receiver only, you can see other vessels, but you remain invisible.

There is also some debate if some vessels should transmit AIS data. For example, miltary vessels and oil tankers. Do we really want possible terrorists to know the exact location, course and speed of a supertanker? Also, do you want to transmit AIS data in areas known for armed pirates?
Receiver only for safety? Are you real????

You are much much much more likely to get mowed down by a super tanker that didn't see you than suffer a pirate or terrorist attack....

If you do go to an area of risk, if the AIS does not have a silent mode (probably all do) ir just switch the thing off.
Old 20-04-2015, 10:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Receiver only for safety? Are you real????

You are much much much more likely to get mowed down by a super tanker that didn't see you than suffer a pirate or terrorist attack....

If you do go to an area of risk, if the AIS does not have a silent mode (probably all do) ir just switch the thing off.
I think hamburking was actually implying for safety the best option was a "class B Transponder" he detailed this in an earlier post, but he had just not written Transponder in that particular post.

And I believe he was just bringing to light the fact that AIS for some ships may not be wanted in certain areas.. Interesting info I thought.. :-)
Old 20-04-2015, 10:35   #22

Quote:
I think hamburking was actually implying for safety the best option was a "class B Transponder" he detailed this in an earlier post, but he had just not written Transponder in that particular post.

And I believe he was just bringing to light the fact that AIS for some ships may not be wanted in certain areas.. Interesting info I thought.. :-)
Ooops, I guess I read it wrong
Old 20-04-2015, 10:37   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:

Why have they only created a VHF with AIS "receiver" option?? seems a bit strange to me...
Not that I'm aware of. Those with the AIS receivers, such as the SH Matrix GX2200, were brand new a year ago. I believe the GX2200 is the better/newer option over the GX2150. If you want a Class B transponder (to send & receive), you will need an additional box.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 13:42   #24

So I have just come across this:

A class B Transponder for under £220....

Does anyone know anything about this?

Its a Matsutec HP-33A Class B Transponder, it comes with an external GPS ariel in the box, does it require a VHF Splitter / Ariel still??

Has anyone used or are you using one of these?
Old 20-04-2015, 13:58   #25

Boat: Catalina 470

zooplax,
I thought we went thru this, just a couple days ago???
There are NO VHF-DSC-Radios w/ built-in AIS Transponders!!

As for the other things, I believe we covered that already as well???
More later...

Quote:
3, Is there a VHF radio / AIS transponder that works with my chartplotter? for example Simrad RS90 Simrad RS90 VHF - Simrad Marine Electronics or Standard Horizon Fixed VHF with AIS GX2100E Standard Horizon GX2100E Matrix DSC VHF with AIS Receiver | allGadgets Marine.

Fair winds...
More later!

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 14:39   #26

Zooplax,
The short answer is:
You can spend a little amount and get a Receive-Only AIS receiver....(typically $200 - $300 USD)
Or, if you can afford quite a lot more, you can get a Class B AIS Transponder (typically $600 - $1000 USD)
Quote:
Just looking at setting up AIS with a new chartplotter (Raymarine e7)
Yes, there is a large variation, because the AIS transponder is a transmitting device, and must meet certain specific international standards!!

If you look at these recent posts (they are different posts, even if the link shows the same), you'll get some more info...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1802098

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1802310

Most of the more "lower priced" AIS transponders are either OEM-made-in-China units (with no guaranteed QC), and/or non-type-approved/non-type-accepted units....
And my advice is, if you have a tight budget and cannot afford a good-quality, type-approved AIS transponder, then go with just an AIS Receive Only unit...

Yes, this is correct...IF you have a VHF-DSC Radio with a built-in AIS receiver, which as of now, means you must have either the Icom M-506 w/ AIS, or a Standard Horizon 2150 or 2200...then you can RECEIVE others AIS transmissions....you CANNOT transmit any AIS of your own (for that you'd need an AIS transponder)
Quote:
you have the VHF radio which receives AIS you then have this linked with a NMEA 0183 to your Raymarine chartplotter? So when you go to your Raymarine chart plotter (a or e Series) your AIS is working on the actual Raymarine chart Plotter?

Meaning you don't need a separate AIS transponder or Separate AIS Receiver or a separate antenna to get the AIS on your ray marine chartplotter?..
But, be aware that if you are using NMEA in to your e7, you will loose any NMEA data, as you will need to set the e7's NMEA input to 38400baud vs. the normal 4800baud...

No, there is NO SUCH THING...
Quote:

If you read the other thread over, you'll see that this has been discussed and explained in great detail...

There's really not anymore to this.....I think you may be over-thinking things a bit??

In any case, please read over the other threads....and I think you'll get it...

Fair winds..

John
Old 20-04-2015, 14:49   #27

[QUOTE=ka4wja;1805357]zooplax,
I thought we went thru this, just a couple days ago???
There are NO VHF-DSC-Radios w/ built-in AIS Transponders!!

As for the other things, I believe we covered that already as well???
More later...

Found the other thread, hadn't this morning when I posted this one... :-(

Im starting to realise a lot of the chart plotters work the same way with the same inputs, which I have to admit I didn't at the beginning of this and another thread I started.

Have you any experience of the "Matsutec HP-33" half the price of any other Transponder out there it seems.. (there is a very small bit in your previous thread you mention - unless your aware of another thread with a lot more info about in it - something a bit more recent than 2008 would be good) lots on the GX2200e though which looks a good option until i found I could get a transponder and vhf splitter for less than the the SH GX2200e..

Any views on that?
Old 20-04-2015, 16:27   #28

Zooplax,
I have no personal experience with the HP-33....but there is some user blogs and other info on-line...
Matsutec HP-33A 4.3" marine GPS AIS transponder, View AIS transponder, Matsutec Product Details from Shenzhen Shenhuayang Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com
Bill's stuff: Matsutec HP-33A 4.3" marine GPS AIS transponder
Matsutec HP-33A AIS Transponder
Quote:
Have you any experience of the "Matsutec HP-33" half the price of any other Transponder out there it seems.. (there is a very small bit in your previous thread you mention - unless your aware of another thread with a lot more info about in it....
Although their Alibaba page looks nice, I'm skeptical!!
And, as I wrote just an hour ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Most of the more "lower priced" AIS transponders are either OEM-made-in-China units (with no guaranteed QC), and/or non-type-approved/non-type-accepted units....
And my advice is, if you have a tight budget and cannot afford a good-quality, type-approved AIS transponder, then go with just an AIS Receive Only unit...
Not sure how to make my opinion any clearer....so, here again, here is my opinion/advice:
My advice is, if you have a tight budget and cannot afford a good-quality, type-approved AIS transponder, then go with just an AIS Receive Only unit...

As for anything "more recent"????
More recent than 4 days ago and a couple hours ago???
Not sure I can help you there....sorry....
Quote:
something a bit more recent than 2008 would be good) lots on the GX2200e though which looks a good option until i found I could get a transponder and vhf splitter for less than the the SH GX2200e..
If these recent posts are not helping, and you require more recent info and more explanation, I'm sorry, but I cannot help....
But, I do wish you good luck!

Fair winds...

John
Old 20-04-2015, 16:43   #29

Boat: C&C 34

For AIS hardware check out these guys:

Welcome to Milltech Marine - your AIS experts

Lots of good products and someone actually answers the phone when you call. Tech support will call you back too!!! With answers!!!

Their prices are very competitive too.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 17:21   #30

Boat: Corbin 39

Just a note. If you use a VHF with AIS receiver built in like the Standard Horizon you will not get all of the AIS info because the E series will not pick it all up on NMEA 0183. If you want all the info Like target names and speeds you need to use a VHF/ AIS receiver that outputs NMEA 2000 like the new Ray 70, or the ICOM.

Standard Horizon is the only one that has the AIS info displayed on their remote mic and front display, but I ask them and they have "no plans" on adding a NMEA 2000 output.

The ICOM radio is NMEA 2000 and shows all the AIS info on their display but not on their remote mic.

The new Raymarine only shows the info on the E series display.

The best for me would be the Standard Horizon if it put out NMEA 2000, but like I said I asked them if they might add it and they said no.

I recently installed an Icom linked to an E-series display and it was easy to do, but the radio cost a lot more and controlling the radio with their menu interface system was more difficult than I think it should be.

Now I'm leaning toward the new Raymarine VHF. I think the new RAY 70 interface will be the easiest VHF/AIS radio to use, but it sure would be nice to be able to quickly toggle on a target and call it with just the remote mic in the cockpit.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, marine, raymarine