Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2018, 14:57   #16

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: AIS and Radar

On my way to Bermuda a month ago I had a vessel 20 miles from me identified as "Canadien Military Vessel". Most of the small sailing vessels like me have AIS receivers only, not transponders. That's one more reason why radar can be very handy when offshore and invaluable inshore.

Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 15:30   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We have both radar and AIS, and use both but for different tasks.
+1. This AIS vs RADAR discussion comes up often. They are two different, but complenetary, tools.

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 23:29   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We have both and sailed both sides of the Carib, an pond crossing, most of the Med and all the Black Sea -
AIS works great if the other guy has one but not if they don't. In daylight we run only AIS unless we see some disturbing weather when we start the radar to see where the wx is and which way a potential storm is going. We keep a good watch during the day. At night we run our Raymarine screen on radar with AIS - that way we can hopefully see anything out there along with any wx that we can not see with the naked eye.

We like both transmit and receive and not really worried about the bad guys - if you don't think they also have radar you had one to many rums - AIS may make it easier for them but they can still find you
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 00:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Thank you, when out far, I have not seen a ship, boat, that does not have send and receive AIS. In around the island many do not. When in close we are always looking. When out far I am single handling the boat and I take 15 minute naps then get up and look around.
Any other comments from those that have both?

I have seen many boats 100's of miles from no where ...mostly fishing boats in the Marquesas and south west not using AIS...I use AIS but I bet my life on my radar.

Relaying only on AIS is dangerous.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 02:51   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: The boat: Cowes (Winter), Above 60N (Summer); me: somewhere in the air!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
They're very different animals really, a better question might be - "Do I want radar where i sail?"

Other than single handing my radar might get used in anger a day or 2 a year, IMHO it's worth fitting just for that
That's it.

This has been discussed many times, and a look through the archives will be rewarding to the OP.

But I think the short answer is what Conachair has written -- radar and AIS are not substitutes for each other.

Whether you need radar or not depends on where you sail and in what conditions. If you sail around a coast in short hops and good weather and visibility, no fog or night passages, and a coast which is well charted, then you probably don't need radar.

As for me, however -- I never leave the dock without the radar powered up and running and would feel more lost without it, than I would sailing without a chart plotter, GPS, or just about any instrument but for perhaps the depth sounder and magnetic compass. Radar is used not only for collision avoidance, but also for navigation and weather. In poorly charted areas it is extremely important. In fog and on dark nights it is extremely important. On long offshore passages it greatly enhances the quality of the watch even in good visibility. But day sailing around a well-charted coast is a different use case.
Old 27-06-2018, 15:27   #21

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
AIS and Radar

For those of you that have both. Do you overlay your charts with AIS and radar? It seems that some of the targets would be the same and the charts might be hard to read.

Alternative would be, at least in my case to have radar on the chart and the AIS on the stand alone screen.

Comments.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 15:49   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I overlay both. All the time. The colregs state you must keep a lookout by all available means. That means, if you have radar, you must use it. Target clutter -not normally an issue, but you can filter if required. Modern broadband radars are a completely different animal to the old magnetron radars - low power consumption, instant on/off, timed sweeps (like 2 sweeps every 10 mins, for example, then snooze). IMO every serious cruiser/long distance vessel should have radar, and know how to use it. Radar and AIS are nothing like each other, and one cannot be substituted for the other. IMO.
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 16:19   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: OPB = Available as Crew in 2018

I have used both RADAR and AIS while on night watch (and during day too) and was glad to have both.

Other CF Members up above have mentioned very good uses of each and reasons for having both or one or the other.

Here are a few instances that come to mind for me:

I sailed in very dense fog off Newfoundland and used RADAR to keep a watch for buoys and small fishing vessels. Very effective.

I sailed off New Jersey in fog and used RADAR to spot buoys and smaller fishing boats. Very effective. Not all fishing boats have AIS transceivers transmitting their position.

I sailed into the Chesapeake Bay Entrance at night, and up to Norfolk, in parallel to the ship channel, during a heavy rainstorm (thunder storm). Visibility was down to ZERO at times. On this boat the RADAR worked, but there was no AIS. I wish there had been AIS too, because heavy rain can obscure big ships and small boats. You don’t want to be surprised by a big ship at close range as it appears suddenly because it was hidden by the rain.

Conclusion? I prefer to have BOTH AIS and RADAR and would have them showing together at the helm if possible, at night and during times of poor visibility (fog or heavy rain) either on an overlay if possible, or side by side display.

Hope that helps.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2018? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 16:38   #24

Boat: Lagoon 450

We use a Raymarine MFD that has a split screen which we use at night. The radar screen and the standard Map. The AIS icons show up on both the radar and Plotter. The purple Radar blips also overlay on the chart plotter but can be lost among purple colored objects on the chart. We do have a second Garmin plotter as well that is completely stand alone (Plus Ipad) we have all three up at the helm and a repeater down at the nav station.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 17:47   #25

Location: Back in the sand box , Boat is wintering in Pto Williams....
Boat: Dix 38 pilothouse

I have both , wouldn’t want to be with out both .

That being said my next boat will
Have stand alone radar , most likely a Furuno

I overlay on the chart plotter. I use an iPad and have the aid on the IPad .
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 18:56   #26

Boat: between boats

Coming into San Francisco Bay the other night in heavy fog with lots of in and out bound shipping traffic (pilot ship, tugs, cargo ships) I was glad to have both. AIS was great for identifying not just the ships. The main channel buoys, Pt Bonita Light, the SF Sea Buoy and more all have AIS to identify them. But AIS won't keep you off the rocks, or avoid an unlit marker.

Joe
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 03:18   #27

Boat: Catana 50

Quote:
For those of you that have both. Do you overlay your charts with AIS and radar? It seems that some of the targets would be the same and the charts might be hard to read.

Alternative would be, at least in my case to have radar on the chart and the AIS on the stand alone screen.

Comments.

Always use and overlay both on our charts!!! We use 3 chart systems - Time Zero on a PC, Furuno plotter and Open CPN on my notebook - all 3 are running all the time. We have Furuno digital radar and Furuno AIS. Both are always on and always overlayed on the chart. If the clutter gets too much (which happens very rarely, usually only in tight quarters when anchoring etc.), it's one touch of the screen to turn the radar off and another to turn it back on! Furuno's Doppler radar picks out "targets" and displays them just like AIS, even if they don't have AIS. As I said before - at least 20% of traffic does not have AIS!! Maybe more here in France!! We've been in France for a week and I can't believe how many commercial ships - ferries etc., don't have AIS!!!! Crazy.
CookiesnTequila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2018, 04:33   #28

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:

Our AIS overlays onto chart, radar is stand-alone-- older generation than our newer plotter, AIS, etc. so wouldn't integrate. Would prefer if it did, although I also like the advantages of a separate radar screen, too.

-Chris

Tags
ais, radar