Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2018, 03:33   #1

Airmar DX900+

I would be interested in comments from owners of the Airmar DX900+ (an ultrasonic speed, depth and water temperature sensor).

I'm considering buying one, and while they are pricey, it's an all-in-one solution. The one thing that gives me pause is they don't want you to put anti-foul on the transducer face. It seems to me it will be a bear to keep clean enough to work.

It also appears that the electrodes protrude from the transducer face making it a problem for cleaning the bottom of the boat while in the water.

Duane
Old 18-03-2018, 04:33   #2
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Airmar DX900+

I would be interested as well ...

Is there another brand (cost ?) providing the same system ?
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 04:55   #3

Boat: gozzard 44

You might want to check Panbo before purchasing...

https://www.panbo.com/archives/2018/...w_udst800.html
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 04:56   #4

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I think the newest version is UDST 800? Here is a Panbo article, with mention of it and the DX900.

https://www.sailfeed.com/2018/02/air...s-new-udst800/

I am interested as well. Wondering just how clean they have to be kept to work correctly. For instance, do they work when the hull has a layer of scum?
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 17:47   #5

Boat: None currently … previously a Beneteau Oceanis 350. Before that … a Cavalier 30

Interesting … 'do not anti-foul the transponder face'.

However … this product seems pretty clearly targeted at (and priced accordingly) the 'serious' racers. Serious racers lift their boats and clean, even sand, their hulls before every race … so in the racing season … there wouldn't be much opportunity for the transponder to foul up.

Anyway … it comes with a nice flappy-valve gizmo to make withdrawing the transponder at sea easy. So just pull it out … replace with the blanking plug … then clean it … after every time you use the boat. There replace it next time you want to use it.

If you are using the boat continuously, e.g. cruising, just make it a daily ritual to pull, clean, replace.

So I don't see the 'do not anti-foul the transponder face' edict as much of an issue, really.

The reports of widely variable readings is more of a concern. Those same 'serious' racers would not take kindly to paying that much for something that is unreliable. The sooner Airmar sort out this issue … the better.
TonyDove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 17:59   #6

I have had a CS4500 installed in my cruising boat for several years. This is the same technology as the DX900, but without the leeway measurement.

I would never, ever go back to a paddlewheel. The readings are stable and consistent. For the first 18 months we ran it side-by-side with our former system, and they both agreed as close as reasonably could be expected.

I can not answer if it is suited for a high end racing boat. That is not my game. But for a high milage cruiser, it is SOOO nice not having to worry about a fouled paddlewheel every day, and having data I can trust. Nice also having good data at lower speeds.

We use a standard water based, transducer antifouing paint on it, reapplied about every 6 to 8 months. Works a treat.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:26   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I have had a CS4500 installed in my cruising boat for several years. This is the same technology as the DX900, but without the leeway measurement.. .

FYI, CS4500 (what I have been using for 7 years) is ultrasonic, whereas teh DX900+ is electromagnetic. Quite different technology.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 04:50   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Old thread, but still important topic. Anyone using the DX900+? Good or bad experiences?

The only speed log I ever had in 40 years of sailing which was more or less decent was the old CS4500, the original ultrasonic one, which was pretty accurate and pretty reliable until it died at about 8 or 9 years of age.

After that I had a UST850 which was very inaccurate.

Then a DX900+ which I was never able to get working; and is presently out for service.

Why aren't there any good speed logs on the market?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote