Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2017, 09:34   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Affordable marine sound system?

"Sound is a huge part of my boating experience."
I can appreciate that. When I tried to figure out how much DC power I'd need if I tried to move my amp into a boat, or how much space I'd need to clear for the speakers...the line from Jaws came to mind: "We're gonna need a bigger boat."
And, smaller speakers and less amp would just kill the bass. Some compromise became in order.(G)

"Would you recommend just getting a high grade car stereo instead?"
It is the simple way to go. Reasonably predictable sound quality, many choices, and if it isn't "audiophile" quality...well...it's a compromise many of us can live with. Spend the money on better speakers, aiming for something more durable with better response, that's usually much harder to find. And a lot more effort to upgrade in future, as you have to do more cutting and trim. If you're unhappy with the stereo itself, that's easier to replace, when and if.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 09:56   #32

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtj View Post
Hello everyone, I'm brand new here.

I just recently purchased an Islander 30 and am doing some updating. Though not a priority at the moment, I would like to upgrade the sound system (at the least, a receiver that I can connect my phone to). Currently Installed is a Kenwood 225MR, with 4 speakers and a sub (not connected). The previous owner had it all connected through battery cables, and it's bit of a nusiance connecting and disconnecting every time I use it.

Just looking for some recommendations on receivers, speaker placements, connections, or anything related. I've attached a few pictures of the current setup.

Also, is there a way to toggle off the speakers in the cockpit? It would be nice to be able to listen to music in the cabin without annoying my neighbors.

Thanks for any help!
-Brandt
What do you have for electronics? Do you have, or plan on, any NMEA2000 components? If the answer is yes, then go with Fusion.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 15:47   #33

Boat: Lagoon 450
Affordable marine sound system?

Well I see a lot of folks here praising Fusion but Im going to tell you that our experience has not been the best. We have gone thru 3x AV600 and 750s in 3 years. Non repairable DVD jams, screen blanks x2. All replaced under warranty. I agree they sound great, can zone them, etc. But I cant endorse their quality for the price. Beware!
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 16:04   #34

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandtj View Post
Hello everyone, I'm brand new here.

I just recently purchased an Islander 30 and am doing some updating. Though not a priority at the moment, I would like to upgrade the sound system (at the least, a receiver that I can connect my phone to). Currently Installed is a Kenwood 225MR, with 4 speakers and a sub (not connected). The previous owner had it all connected through battery cables, and it's bit of a nusiance connecting and disconnecting every time I use it.

Just looking for some recommendations on receivers, speaker placements, connections, or anything related. I've attached a few pictures of the current setup.

Also, is there a way to toggle off the speakers in the cockpit? It would be nice to be able to listen to music in the cabin without annoying my neighbors.

Thanks for any help!
-Brandt
I think you've got a bigger problem than sound, dude. Your boat is upside down!
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 23:04   #35

Boat: Islander 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Sound is a huge part of my boating experience."
I can appreciate that. When I tried to figure out how much DC power I'd need if I tried to move my amp into a boat, or how much space I'd need to clear for the speakers...the line from Jaws came to mind: "We're gonna need a bigger boat."
And, smaller speakers and less amp would just kill the bass. Some compromise became in order.(G)

"Would you recommend just getting a high grade car stereo instead?"
It is the simple way to go. Reasonably predictable sound quality, many choices, and if it isn't "audiophile" quality...well...it's a compromise many of us can live with. Spend the money on better speakers, aiming for something more durable with better response, that's usually much harder to find. And a lot more effort to upgrade in future, as you have to do more cutting and trim. If you're unhappy with the stereo itself, that's easier to replace, when and if.
Very true. I'm fine with compromise, but definitely want to get the best value for my dollar. If there's noticeable difference in quality between a car stereo and high end marine receiver, I'd be willing to invest in the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
What do you have for electronics? Do you have, or plan on, any NMEA2000 components? If the answer is yes, then go with Fusion.
I've got minimal electronics at the moment, so I'm not concerned about universal connection right now but I definitely plan on upgrading in the (somewhat) near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Well I see a lot of folks here praising Fusion but Im going to tell you that our experience has not been the best. We have gone thru 3x AV600 and 750s in 3 years. Non repairable DVD jams, screen blanks x2. All replaced under warranty. I agree they sound great, can zone them, etc. But I cant endorse their quality for the price. Beware!
Wow, 3 receivers in 3 years? That's crazy. At least they're covered under warranty, but still. Something to think about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I think you've got a bigger problem than sound, dude. Your boat is upside down!
Haha! I posted the thread on my phone; no idea why they uploaded upside down. Nice username by the way
brandtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 00:14   #36

Boat: Hunter 380

I just refitted my hunter 380. The old stereo was below with a remote controller on deck. I dumped it and put this in the cockpit and it is great. Radio and Bluetooth The arch speakers sound great and I'm going to put 2 facing off the stern for when we r floating. Has fade control between arch and stern speakers
Milennia MILPRV19 Gauge Style AM, FM & Bluetooth Stereo with Rear USB Input
Dallasron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 05:15   #37

Boat: Able 50

Well the opening word was " affordable " but if we are going to look at brands other than Fusion . . . . . . . . . I have had a lot of success on two different boats with Clarion marine units. With a CD capacity they cost around $350. Mine can also take Sirius, itunes and connect with Bluetooth.

You gets what you pays for.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 09:34   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"If there's noticeable difference in quality between a car stereo and high end marine receiver, I'd be willing to invest in the latter. "
In theory, the "marine" buys you a conformal coating to keep moisture out of the circuitry. And o-ring seals or gaskets. And you can dream of components that will withstand more heat, in a proper sealed enclosure. (Which probably doesn't happen.)
In practice? Damfino, maybe the front panel has red lights for night time navigation.(G)

'You gets what you pays for."
That's what my friend Pollyanna says, but I'm not so sure about that. I think you've got to be lucky to get that much!

A good brand name, a good warranty, an affordable price, and just try to keep it dry as best you can. And if oyu cna find one that doesn't need an extra power line for the "keep alive" memories, or you can live without the FM memories, all the better. Car stereos these days all too often seem to be about dancing lights and unreadable blue displays, so you may need to ask for "something an old fogy can use". Or, one with the optional disco ball.(G)
Old 17-09-2017, 09:55   #39
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

An Intel NUC with a "working copy" of your media collection, running Plex.

A robust amplifier-only plus speakers, screen is optional (can show DLd movies, play photo slideshows)

Choose playlists from your phone.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 10:01   #40

Boat: Able 50

Sure you gets what you pays for. I'm a firm believer in the old saying

" good taste is its own reward ".

Many of the newer units are so cheap because they can't play CDs
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 10:33   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I suppose there is one "invisible but obvious" difference about car stereos or marine stereos. There are plenty that look "good enough" with generally good specs, but since they are designed to be used on the road in a moving car, the THD ratings all pretty much s*ck. Typically numbers like 2% THD (total harmonic distortion, unclarity of the musical tones) at rated power. Versus numbers like 0.02% in consumer home audio gear.

I haven't researched the options, but depending on how critical your ears are and whether you're going to be listening after dropping the hook in a quiet cove, or bashing upwind, your ears might or might not notice the difference. That's usually more of a "doesn't feel right" perception that something people can put their finger on, but it is a real difference in equipment. Of course, if you run a car stereo at 25-30% of the rated output, the THD also goes down tremendously.

FWIW.
Old 19-09-2017, 17:38   #42

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

Klipsch KMC 3 Bluetooth speaker. Runs on D cell batteries or plugged into a 12v DC socket. Very clean sound, excellent bass, and LOUD enough for nearly any use. Down to $190 from original $500 that I paid 4 years ago. Excellent product.
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine