Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2011, 09:03   #1

Boat: Taswell 49
Affordable Instrument Pod for mounting at helm

Im looking for a pod to house my Autopilot control head at the the pedestal and so far the Edson and Navpod ones I am seeing are like $300? There has to be an alternative to these? Hell the instrument itself is not much more... What am I missing?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 16:10   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Affordable Instrument Pod for mounting at helm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
Im looking for a pod to house my Autopilot control head at the the pedestal and so far the Edson and Navpod ones I am seeing are like $300? There has to be an alternative to these? Hell the instrument itself is not much more... What am I missing?
Post a picture of your helm indicating where you want to mount the unit and list the unit's dimensions. While it's nice tp have an AP unit mounted next to the compass, unless it also has a useful display, there's no reason no to mount it elasewhere near the helm where one can glance at it when necessary and reach it to enable the autopilot. On our old boat our autopilot control mounted on bracket affixed to the starboard combing (and could be removed when not needed) which proved quite satisfactory for 15 years or so and I understand is still going strong with the current owner.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 13:02   #3

AP control head is standard Raymarine ST size. Not really caring about its display functions I just want it immediately accesible to the helmsman at all times. Cockpit coaming is ok but my cockpit is pretty big and the last thing I want to have to do in an emergency/collision situation is to have to ask a guest or the Admiral to move over so I can reach the disengage button their cockpit cushion is hiding.

Will probably just end up buying the edson box but geez for $300 you think they could throw in the AP controller...
Old 18-04-2011, 13:07   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How about mounting it on a nice piece of teak so it looks like it supposed to be there.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 13:07   #5

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

I feel your pain. I mounted a LCD monitor at the helm for navigation and needed a pod. I ended up building my own out of white plastic sheeting. Cut, screwed and glued for about 20 bucks.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 14:03   #6

Might just end up making one out of teak. The whole thing is obscene. I mean I can see $300 for one that holds a big plotter or multiple instruments but come on for a 4 x 4 instrument? Edson already got me for $2 large for the new pedestal. May be time to head down to Bacons...
Old 18-04-2011, 14:03   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I found no real need for a pod. I've a three hole drink holder at my binacle and the center hole accepts a weighted PVC cannister with my GPS atop. A 12V harness leads through the cannister with a quick disconnect (radio shack part #23-444). My radar screen swings up from my left on a home made aluminum mount with a piano hinge and a hatch piston. My auto pilot control head is mounted to the back of the seat bench at my right hand and my VHF is a 2 1/2 foot reach under the coaming of the aft cabin companionway slide. I like my position amid the array as the sole interface. I also have a small invertor for a laptop bolted under a little cockpit table that is attached to the binacle. My boat is a 1973 and I don't recall seeing a "pod" until maybe the mid-80's. I don't think of myself as living in the past. Everything with it's own mount seems quite adequate.