Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2011, 11:31   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
Advise on a wind instrument

My ST 50 Wind mast head transducer died the morning the boat left Seabrook, Texas headed for Ft Lauderdale to get loaded onto a Dockwise ship and a FAST return trip to the Caribbean. I have now retrieved my boat, sailed to Anguilla and St Barts and have her safely tucked back in at Anse Marcel in St Martin.

However, the wind instrument is still dead. You cannot purchase a ST 50 mast head unit and according to Raymarine the ST 60 masthead unit will give correct wind direction but will increase the wind velocity by 20%. Should I just install the ST 60 mast head unit or should I change out the wind instrument completely (then it will not match the companion ST 50 Tri Data). Does anyone have any other ideas? Do you think the ST 50 mast head unit could be repairable (giving erroneous wind direction information). If I was to upgrade to all new ST 60 instruments, does that require all new cabling and connectors?
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:39   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Advise on a wind instrument

When I went to try and repair my B&G instruments it was more expensive to buy a masthead wind unit then to buy an entire new system from Garmin that included 1 readout, windspeed and angle, boat speed, barometer, and depth sounder.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:42   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I've always found that Davis makes the most reliable masthead wind Indicator
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:51   #4

Boat: Taswell 49

Have to agree with Charlie on this one. The new garmin wind unit with display is about $750 and runs on NMEA 2k. The Garmin displays can be configured to show what ever you want, eind, depth, engine info,etc.. Eventually your other raymarine ST50's will crap out and you will get the same story from Ray, sorry no longer supported but here buy our new ST70s with tranducers, oh and these pods, oh and our network that in 5 years we wont support any longer either. Sorry for the salt but Raymarine has a habit of making sure their new products are incompatible with their older stuff. Great business model I suppose...
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 12:48   #5

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

Ours died 10 years ago. We planned to replace them, but haven't gotten around to it. By now, we wonder why we ever wanted them. Of course, we've had to give up bragging about how hard the wind was blowing when...
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 13:14   #6

Going to something other than Raymarine is my suggestion.
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 14:40   #7

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

I've been thinking of a wind speed indicator, but I'm also thinking that it is mostly for entertainment. Aside from racing, has anyone been in a situation where you've been really glad to have one? Has there been a safety factor? Have you used it to predict coming wind? (for example, is it real useful to have numbers for increasing winds?) The alternative, of course, is experience and the Beaufort scale.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 14:54   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Our B & G recently gave up the ghost. Almost everything else we have is Raymarine. I'm hoping to never spend another cent on/with Raymarine. As noted above, they love planned obsolescence.

Our depth is also a bit flaky - and THAT one, I do need. Looked at the Tacktic wireless, but I think we are going to go with Nexus. For a bit over $1K I can get depth/speed (until it quits)/temp/windspeed/wind angle etc, and 2 displays. The masthead unit is wireless.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 15:00   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrymark View Post
I've been thinking of a wind speed indicator, but I'm also thinking that it is mostly for entertainment. Aside from racing, has anyone been in a situation where you've been really glad to have one? Has there been a safety factor? Have you used it to predict coming wind? (for example, is it real useful to have numbers for increasing winds?) The alternative, of course, is experience and the Beaufort scale.
I think asking a sailor whether he's really happy to have accurate wind data is a bit like asking a pastry chef whether he's really happy to know what temperature his oven is, or asking a machinist whether his micrometer might really just be for entertainment. Accurate wind data is fundamental to sailing, assuming of course you're sailing, and not just bobbing around with rags flapping in the breeze.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 18:27   #10

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I think asking a sailor whether he's really happy to have accurate wind data is a bit like asking a pastry chef whether he's really happy to know what temperature his oven is, or asking a machinist whether his micrometer might really just be for entertainment. Accurate wind data is fundamental to sailing, assuming of course you're sailing, and not just bobbing around with rags flapping in the breeze.
All of that is true, but when racing dinghys or my catamaran the only wind instrument I need to really be sailing is a telltale. I was taught to keep my head out of the boat and have found that sailing is faster and smoother without a dashboard. We don't have a wind instrument on the boat other than some yarn on the shrouds and our sails aern't rags flapping in the breeze.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 18:40   #11

Boat: Prout 37

As my Raymarine stuff dies, it goes in the bin! NEVER buy Raymine again!
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 19:01   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
All of that is true, but when racing dinghys or my catamaran the only wind instrument I need to really be sailing is a telltale. I was taught to keep my head out of the boat and have found that sailing is faster and smoother without a dashboard. We don't have a wind instrument on the boat other than some yarn on the shrouds and our sails aern't rags flapping in the breeze.
I find it useful to set up milestones. eg "If the wind hits 17 knots True wake me up and we'll reef." The wind angle is also helpful for setting the jib. I sailed my boat without them for about 3 years so I wouldn't say they are mission critical but they are a nice piece of kit.

When I was racing they were pretty important b/c we had a little book that told us how much back stay, halyard or which jib to put up depending on wind strength.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 19:02   #13

And it WILL die. I went to Navman and never had any more issues with wind instruments again. On the new boat however, I'm going with a windex and telltails.
foamcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 19:58   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I am happy with the Furuno Instruments purchased last year

FURUNO INSTRUMENTS FI-30 Series | Instruments | Others | Recreational Boats | Marine Equipment | Products | -Furuno Electric Co., Ltd.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 16:03   #15

has anybody had any good or bad things about the new furano pb150 wind instruments, looking at buying one for our boat.
poplariv is offline   Reply With Quote