Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2011, 18:04   #1

Advice on Satellite TV

Never thought I'd do it, but I'm thinking of adding satellite TV -- to watch the Red Sox win the World Series this year . I tried to get by with MLB over the internet but the blackouts and slow connections are just too unreliable. I've never had satellite TV so I don't know where to start.

My thought is the Intellian I2 from Defender. I don't need HD - you can't tell the difference on the tiny TV on the boat.

My address will be in RI. Will I get NESN outside of New England? Will there be blackouts?

Does Dish Network or Direct TV have better coverage in the Bahamas?

Can I just buy a cheap receiver on Ebay?

If I buy my own receiver, do I need to get a long term contract or can it just be month to month?

Thanks,

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 18:07   #2

Re: Advice on satellite TV

From what I heard in other threads, satellite TV doesn't really worn on the water since you need to point the dish very exactly. I'm not assuming that's how you plan to use your dish, but thought I'd mention it.
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 18:41   #3

Boat: C&C 34

Carl

I am pretty sure you will have the same satellite service that you have in RI. The dish will be just pointing higher, but that is automatic with the Intellian.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 18:48   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Carl, We have had satellite on the boat for years. With either Direct or Dish, your service will be based on your home address. The best thing to do is to get the receiver from the Sat provider and not buy one on eBay. Once everything is installed they will come to the boat and set up the receiver. You might be told by a customer service rep on the phone that they can't do that, but be persistent, they can and do all the time. The only thing this will affect is the locals you receive. They are based on your address. You can choose not to get the locals as part of your package and just use over the air when you can. If you have a sport package, you get that no matter where you are. If you plan to just get them on the local station, that won't work for anything if the boat is out of the area. Hope this helps. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2011, 19:23   #5

Re: Advice on Satellite TV

I agree, it all depends on whether or not they offer their services within your area. Been using DirectTV for some time now and so far, the service is okay. They have affordable satellite tv deals which would suit your needs. Consider comparing different services within your are first before you buy a satellite tv for your yacht. You can visit this site for reference : DirecTV Comparison - Compare Dish Network and other Satellite TV Deals .

Hope this helps!
wildberry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 07:33   #6

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

WOW!!!! Advising NOT TO PURCHASE receiver on Ebay is RIGHT ON THE MARK!!!

Several years ago I purchased a receiver on Ebay thinking I would use it on
Dish. Well, it took several years before I actually subscribed. And yes, I got a couple of receivers from Dish with my subscription. But I thought, hey.... I still have the one I purchased before. "I am going to have that activated for use on the boat!"

Well no! I called Dish for activation and got the rope-a-dope! They told me the receiver was not HD.........I said fine, I can get by without HD so go ahead and activate it....."SORRY, WE CANNOT ACTIVATE IT BECAUSE IT IS TOO OLD!" But that receiver model is still being sold on Ebay in the $50+ range.

Do yourself a favor, do not take a chance on Dish activating something purchased on Ebay unless you check everything with Dish BEFORE you make your purchase.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 12:31   #7
Marine Service Provider

Anything from KVH that we have sold has had really good feedback, almost never losing satellites, even when on the move. They have maps that shows the coverage areas where you get signal on their website. Just something I figured I'd mention.

Keith
Old 18-08-2011, 12:37   #8

Does anybody use the kvh tractvision 3 ? Low profile and good price but how does it work?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 12:43   #9
Marine Service Provider

Alot of people used the Tracvision3, but it has been discontinued. It is still reliable and we have heard nothing but good things about them. They have the new Tracvision M1 to replace the C3. BUT, you can still find some C3s if you look around that are on clearance tables. The only bad part about the C3s is that they were not meant for really strong vibrations. So as long as your boat doesn't vibrate you should be fine.

Keith
Old 18-08-2011, 12:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeriversmari View Post
Alot of people used the Tracvision3, but it has been discontinued. It is still reliable and we have heard nothing but good things about them. They have the new Tracvision M1 to replace the C3. BUT, you can still find some C3s if you look around that are on clearance tables. The only bad part about the C3s is that they were not meant for really strong vibrations. So as long as your boat doesn't vibrate you should be fine.
Keith
thanks I have seen new units on ebay for less then $1000 Does this use a regular antenna cable or is there a special cable needed ?
Old 18-08-2011, 13:32   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
thanks I have seen new units on ebay for less then $1000 Does this use a regular antenna cable or is there a special cable needed ?
A normal coax cable is all that is ever needed for connecting the antenna to the reciever box bud.

Keith
Old 18-08-2011, 13:32   #12

Is there such a thing as a 12v reciever?
Old 18-08-2011, 13:39   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Almost every satellite tv reciever with the antenna take a 12v power supply. So you just need a 12v power supply and you will be good to go bud.

Keith
Old 18-08-2011, 13:42   #14

Keith thanks you
Old 18-08-2011, 13:44   #15

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines

Quote:
Yes there is, here in the UK, I got a mini dish with an LED Sat Finder display, a 12v receiver, remote control, and 45 feet of cable plus connectors for less than £100 (That's about $150).

Of course, it only works when I'm moored up since the dish has to be pointed very precisely but in the harbour, it's terrific, about 600 channels, about thirty or so of which are worth viewing plus, all the local area channels as well.

But, when the wind comes up and moves the boat too much, it's back to watching sports on the laptop via broadband. James

Tags
satellite