Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2015, 14:12   #1

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor
Advice needed. Is this a good deal from Defender?

I am in the market for a new VHF. Defender and Active Captain have this great sounding deal ActiveCaptain Product of the Week . However when there are great deals on hardware it usually means a new product is about to be announced.

1) does anyone know if Navico has a new VHF to come out soon with new features I will be sorry not to have?
2) I have read pretty nice reports on CF and elsewhere re: the Simrad V35/B&G V50 but is there anything better
3) anyone else on CF going to take advantage of this offer. I don't like to rush into things but it seems like a good deal

Any advice out there, please.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 15:15   #2

Boat: Morris Justine
Re: Advice needed. Is this a good deal from Defender?

I noticed that deal too. I had planned on getting an iCOM 506 and RAM. I suspect the iCOM is the better VHF but this price is close to half the price of the iCOM.

Can the much higher price of the iCOM 506 and RAM be justified?
MooGroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 15:38   #3

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Well in my boat the chase from the nav station to the helm is pretty much full so this wireless solution was right for me. I am in the process of getting her ready and had forgotten that I stole the vhf to use on my other boat last year so your post prompted me to do some quick research and make a purchase tonight. Did have to sign up at active captain but it was worth it as I think it's a pretty good buy. So thanks OP😁

Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 15:45   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If I hadn't just bought a radio, I'd buy it. I'd like the AIS feature, but the wireless mike would be nice too.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 15:51   #5

Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooGroc View Post
I noticed that deal too. I had planned on getting an iCOM 506 and RAM. I suspect the iCOM is the better VHF but this price is close to half the price of the iCOM.

Can the much higher price of the iCOM 506 and RAM be justified?
I like the fact that the RS50 remote is wireless. I have liked the ICOM products in the past have been trying to stay away from too much wiring if possible.

I suppose there is the possibility of interference with so many many wireless signals. Perhaps best to stay within a family of products to preclude that possibility?

My next wish is for the B&G Zeus Touch and Gofree WIFI unit. After that the 4G radar. If all that integrates smoothly I would consider an upgrade of my old Simrad AP22 autopilot.
Old 17-01-2015, 15:53   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

The hair on the back of my neck stood up regarding the wireless Ram mike. I can just see that going a) over the side b) lost somewhere until it turns up months later or c) out of juice right when I need it.

I know that's pessimistic, but I like that my cockpit mike isn't going anywhere and always has power.

Sure looks like a pretty sweet deal though. Anyone know who makes B&G's radios?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 17:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
The hair on the back of my neck stood up regarding the wireless Ram mike. I can just see that going a) over the side b) lost somewhere until it turns up months later or c) out of juice right when I need it.

I know that's pessimistic, but I like that my cockpit mike isn't going anywhere and always has power.

I think Simrad, Lowrance and B&G are all owned by Navico. I certainly have no idea who actually manufactures for them. I also don't know which factory in China made my iPad.

As for the wireless mike going overboard, they do have a lanyard for it. Plus because they radio itself is waterproof it could be mounted in the cockpit and the wireless used mainly indoors.
Old 17-01-2015, 19:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

Simple work around, tie a length of line from the mike to a fixed item.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 03:09   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Very tempted to jump on this deal. I was going to buy a SH GX1700 (since I don't need the AIS receiver of the higher end SH models) and a RAM3 wired mic for about the same total price but I'm now seriously reconsidering. I like that this unit has NMEA 2000. My main hesitation is around the wireless mic and whether it's really going to perform as well as wired over the long haul. On the other hand, it can be very hard to find an adequately protected place to install a plug for a wired mic in a cockpit.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 04:02   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

These look good. The MOB would be greats nd a saving of around $600 just for similar MOB devices..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 04:03   #11
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

These look good. The MOB would be greats nd a saving of around $600 just for similar MOB devices..
Old 18-01-2015, 04:04   #12
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Advice needed. Is this a good deal from Defender?

Not great enough for a triple post though...
Old 18-01-2015, 05:12   #13

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
3) anyone else on CF going to take advantage of this offer. I don't like to rush into things but it seems like a good deal
I bought one. It came in the mail Thursday. Defender ships fast!

I was in the market for a VHF that had (1) NMEA 2000 interface (2) AIS display capability, (3) remote wireless mic, and (4) hailer with foghorn capability.

I didn't really want the AIS receiver, since I already have AIS data on the N2K network, so I also looked at the iCom 506. Very nice unit, but no wireless mic and twice the price.

The only down side to this Navico line I've read so far is that it can scan all channels or just three. You can't pick, say, just 4 or 5 to scan. There's something in the manual about temporarily de-selecting a busy channel from the full scan, but that sounds like a massive pain in the butt. And if it's only temporary, it seems totally useless.

I can't wait to hook it up. This is the final piece in my N2K puzzle. Unless fuel flow gauges come WAY down in price.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 07:45   #14

Boat: 2000 Mainship 390

I jumped onboard as well. I was going to buy the same thing labeled as Simrad in spring
ricktara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 09:10   #15

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
I am in the market for a new VHF. Defender and Active Captain have this great sounding deal ActiveCaptain Product of the Week . However when there are great deals on hardware it usually means a new product is about to be announced.

1) does anyone know if Navico has a new VHF to come out soon with new features I will be sorry not to have?
2) I have read pretty nice reports on CF and elsewhere re: the Simrad V35/B&G V50 but is there anything better

Any advice out there, please.

I have been planning to replace one of the older ICOM VHF radios that came with the boat, favoring one with GPS, N2K, and AIS capability. Therefore, I ordered one the same day the newsletter was received. It will almost complete my B&G set-up (Zeus touch, 4G radar, etc.) [Now I await their new forward scanning sonar...]

I like the idea of the wireless mike and its contactless [waterproof] induction charging when in the cradle. That, when used with the lanyard, should prove quite useful. [I'll be able to leave the handheld VHFs off in their charging cradles ready for other uses...]

I also miss the hailer horn [for fog signaling] and listen-back feature I have had on my other vessels. This radio will provide that capability.

I already have class B AIS, but since our MOB alarms are based upon AIS, I like having a back-up AIS receiver [which will be turned off unless the class B becomes inop.]

Last fall I took advantage of a similar offer via AC for the Standard Horizon GX2200 MATRIX AIS/GPS 2200 w/ hailer horn, and I added a RAM3 mike. That package has been sitting on the boat awaiting spring commissioning.

I suspect just not having to run the wire for the RAM mike will tip the scales in favor of the B&G radio. [Not to mention plug-and-play into my N2K network- bypassing the NMEA 0183 altogether- something not possible with the Standard Horizon.]

I may sell the Standard Horizon or install both radios [replacing both older ICOMs...] but don't have to decide until I'm back on the boat in March.

Tags
fender