Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2015, 06:02   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Active Capt / Defender SSB special

Is this a good package? What is is missing except the antenna of course

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 09:12   #2

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39
Re: Active Capt / Defender SSB special

I think it is a good deal. Active Captain/Defender deals are consistently very good prices. I bought my Manson Supreme this way.
I have been back and forth with the idea of installing this SSB system. This price may push me over the edge.
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 10:31   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It did me. I was waiting on Ka4wja to tell me if I made a mistake

Old 25-11-2015, 10:54   #4

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Wow they make it hard to find! Here is a link for everyone:

ActiveCaptain Product of the Week

Matt
Old 25-11-2015, 11:02   #5
Eternal Member

It's a good deal, especially as the $80 transceiver-to-tuner control cable (OPC-1147N) is included.

If you want a new M802/AT140 system, I wouldn't hesitate.

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 08:15   #6
cp1

Check with Dockside Radio. They may know of used gear from folks who are getting out.
You can't beat SSB for a number important comms areas, safety, security, email, etc.
Old 26-11-2015, 10:27   #7

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

The ICOM 802 is a very good product. No doubt about that.
You can find reviews at eHam.net Reviews

However, you are paying a premium because this is a radio that is marine band certified.

This means you can use it on the Marine Radio Bands (as well as the HAM bands).

Usually, you can get a much cheaper HAM radio and get it "unlock" to be able to use all the HF/UHF bands for a much better deal.

Check for instance the YAESU 857D at half the price.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 13:02   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I want to think I remember reading that unlocking the radios was illegal, and possibly more importantly I believe there may be an issue with frequency control?

Old 26-11-2015, 14:32   #9

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

I did not said unlocking a radio was legal.

Any licensed HAM operator is supposed to be well aware of what that mean, and the potential risk associated with that.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 16:17   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

A64,
Okay, sorry I'm late to the party!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I was waiting on Ka4wja to tell me if I made a mistake
$2070, for the M-802/AT-140 combo, is a great deal!

Although, I HIGHLY recommend Dockside Radio, I suspect that that price is significantly below his cost....so, I doubt Gray would be able to price match....
But, you could send him an e-mail...

Fair winds!

John

P.S. A64, along with your tech knowledge/experience, you've got the collective experience / wisdom of many here with decades of HF comm / Marine SSB / Ham experience....so, you probably will not need the excellent support from Gary at Dockside....so, the Active Captain / Defender deal is a great idea....
But, for others doing self-installs, I still think Dockside Radio is a good choice!!
(Btw, I have NO connection at all with Gary / Dockside Radio!!)
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 16:36   #11

Emouchet,
You are comparing apples to oranges here!
The M-802 is a full MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephone!!!

There are of course NO ham rigs that have DSC capability!!!
And, since the implementation of the GMDSS in 1992, and the full requirement for all signatory nations and SOLAS vessels from Jan 1999, MF/HF-DSC is the only way to signal other vessels at sea or (with the exception of the USCG, and Aus/NZ maritime authorities) the only way to signal the > 450 MF-DSC coast stations and the > 80 HF-DSC, worldwide!!

(And, if you actually look at the radio, its design/features, the M-802 is comparable to the IC-756ProII, or Yaesu FTdx-5000, in its design/features....but even here the M-802 FAR surpasses these rigs in its transmit performance / transmit purity, etc.!!! Not to mention that it will run at its fully rated output, with a CLEAN signal on "battery voltages", from 11.5vdc thru 15.5vdc....something that ham rigs cannot do!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
The ICOM 802 is a very good product. No doubt about that.

However, you are paying a premium because this is a radio that is marine band certified.

This means you can use it on the Marine Radio Bands (as well as the HAM bands).

Usually, you can get a much cheaper HAM radio and get it "unlock" to be able to use all the HF/UHF bands for a much better deal.

Check for instance the YAESU 857D at half the price.
Please understand that the myth that you propagate here is a very common misunderstanding....so no worries!!
(if you wish to know more, there's a whole lot more out there....some of it right here on Cruiser's Forum, have a look / do a search / etc....and you'll find a great deal of information that will continue to educate you...heck, even reading the "sticky" at the top of the Marine Electronics page here, will show you dozens of links to plenty of information / educational sites/discussions.... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tc-133496.html )

Oh, btw....you may wish to have a look at some helpful videos....they're not "professionally" produced, but they're all 100% accurate (backed-up by real, "official" facts) and free!!!

HF-DSC Communications
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ga2zYuPozhUXZX

Maritime HF Comms
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZDo_Jk3NB_Bt1y

Offshore Weather
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY

Specific instructions for the M-802
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rC-8QKVyMb4tVr

Offshore Sailing
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KgTCj15iyl6qoY

Fair winds...

John
Old 26-11-2015, 18:50   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It will sit for about a year before I install based on that will be when I replace standing rigging and chain plates. I'd think a back stay would make a good antenna and I believe I need a ground plane on the hull.
I've done a couple of HF installs on aircraft and would assume this may be similar?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-11-2015, 22:24   #13

A64,
The radio won't mind sitting around for a year (as long as it's not in your bilge!!), but, you may find it helpful to set it up at home, with just a simple wire antenna or loop antenna, etc.....and even just listen around the HF bands....in order for you to become familiar with both radiowave propagation and with operating techniques, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It will sit for about a year before I install based on that will be when I replace standing rigging and chain plates. I'd think a back stay would make a good antenna and I believe I need a ground plane on the hull.
I've done a couple of HF installs on aircraft and would assume this may be similar?
As for antenna and ground system on-board....
Backstay is great...

RF Ground / Antenna Ground:
Not sure if you have bronze thru-hulls??? (mine are Marelon), but if you do and can place the tuner within 6' - 10' maximum from a good underwater bronze thru-hull, attaching copper from the tuner's ground lug to this underwater bronze thru-hull will give you an excellent ground...using the sea water as your ground!!!

Or, alternatively, you could connect your stern rail / pushpit, lifelines, alum toerail (you will need to tap into it, as the outer anodizing will not allow a good RF connection), etc...and use these as your ground...
Or, you could build your own counterpoise / radials out of scrap copper wire, etc...

Aircraft HF installs (for military?) are quite different....and for civilian aircraft, they're similar but do have different requirements though....
Best to follow the recommendations in the Sailmail Primer, and here abouts from Bill, myself, and others....
(the most common faults I see is failure to run adequate DC power cable for the radio, from the house batteries to the radio....and the failure of the sailor/operator to spend the time needed to learn about HF comms, radiowave propagation, etc....and also underestimating the effect of on-board RFI if care is not taken with other device choices and their installs...)

Fair winds...

John
Old 27-11-2015, 18:49   #14

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

A64, did you pull the trigger? Mine arrived today. I will set it up at the house for now, so I can play and reacquaint myself with HF. It's been a while. I had an m700 years ago, and clipped it for the ham bands. Very glad the 802 does not need that.

John, thank you for all your posts about SSB. I haven't commented on this subject before (that I recall, anyway), but I have read many threads here. I will go back to them for reference when I do install it on the boat. Do you have any particular advice for a catamaran owner with no back stay? Any permanent solution better than a 23 foot whip? I have had a dipole long ago that we raised with a halyard, and that was a nuisance.

Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 20:13   #15

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk View Post
A64, did you pull the trigger? Mine arrived today. I will set it up at the house for now, so I can play and reacquaint myself with HF. It's been a while. I had an m700 years ago, and clipped it for the ham bands. Very glad the 802 does not need that.

John, thank you for all your posts about SSB. I haven't commented on this subject before (that I recall, anyway), but I have read many threads here. I will go back to them for reference when I do install it on the boat. Do you have any particular advice for a catamaran owner with no back stay? Any permanent solution better than a 23 foot whip? I have had a dipole long ago that we raised with a halyard, and that was a nuisance.

===

The whip is probably your best bet for a tidy install. An additional advantage is that you can mount the whip near a good grounding point and the antenna tuner, all of which should ideally be in close proximity to each other.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender, ssb