Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 10:33   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Acer uses the Aspire name for many of its models. The OP was relating experiences with a netbook model.

Gord, I believe yours is a full notebook computer model. You shouldn't have any surprises getting that to run software fast and well. But you probably would be surprised to see it listed for $200 or less.

Mark J, I didn't know the netbooks could take 4Mb of RAM. Is yours a netbook?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:52   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Mark J, I didn't know the netbooks could take 4Mb of RAM. Is yours a netbook?

Mark
No, its a laptop Aspire 4810T
2 Duo CPU U9400 @ 1.40GHz
4GB RAM
64 bit...

Netbooks are the teeney weeny little ones, arn't they?

Mines got a nice 15 inch screen.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:54   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

I've got an Aspire One Bought 18 months ago as a temporary replacement for an elderly laptop that died suddenly - the idea was to decide whether to stick with laptop or go back to desktop(s).

Haven't yet got around to an "upgrade" Albeit am never running anything complicated.

Sometimes I plug into a large screen (and keyboard / mouse) - usually not. this is typed one handed (fingers and thumb ), including using the mouse pad - still not a fan of, but gets easier with practice and adjusting the speed settings.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

oh, and mine is bright pink because it was £10 cheaper
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:56   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
dang i shoulda gone to target instead of wallys- -i paid almost 300 dollars for mine at wallys in louseyanny....yipes.. nexrt time i go to target....LOL
mine has windows 7 in it---does ok!
uses hardly any electricity so i can play online for hours and not have to recharge boat batts---i live on boat and have had this netbook since march 2010. i also have a compaq and a dell from hell.. laptops.
Also check Amazon and Pricegrabber.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:01   #21

Boat: CT 54 loa 60' Windwalker
hi daryl,

I'm getting close to requesting a survey on a 1991 prout snowgoose in preveza greece. I'm interested in & flying over to inspect...before xmas.

intend to bring her back (solo)here to perth via suez..india & probably cruise around in s.e. asia likeyou suggest ...phillipines seems great...I had Thai wife for 6 years recently so love the asian culture.

I've never been on snowgoose or know any owners yet so would really appreciate a PM with your opinion on any problem areas(if any) to look out for .
I was charter skipper /owner in Tortola V.I.'s of CT 54 for 15 years so had my share of repairs & maintainance.

BTW I have Acer 'travelmate5610' 17" screen & trying to find out on CF how to get internet aboard when i buy my next yacht,probably in greece shortly

Mark J for example seems to be 'online' everywhere he sails to (Canaries now I think)
cheers john n
captjohn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
lol... cars now aint the same, mon-- puters are easier to discuss...LOL..... i need more memory--- my acer is slowing down--i only expect from it what my 2 gig lappies do--lol-- ye think i m asking too much???
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 10:06   #23

Boat: Slipper 42
I've always used exclusively paper charts, but I'm considering buying a laptop/notebook for navigation. What are the issues I should look out for; cables, dc adapters, chart systems, etc?

Also, is there any way to get internet forecasts and messaging while sailing?
Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 10:46   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley View Post
. What are the issues I should look out for; cables, dc adapters, chart systems, etc?
the thing with laptops/notebooks is they use mains power... or DC power, but the DC power is not 12 volts! They use 19 volts. So you need a special box (for about $50) to plug your computer into the boats cigarette socket so it will convert 12 volts to 19 volts.

The only other thingt o look out for is that some laptops chew a lot of electricity and the battery only lasts for an hour or so. Its importnat to buy one that holds a battery for as long as possable. Mine says it will do 8 hours - it does about 5 hours....

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 12:32   #25

my acer aspire netbook would be perfect with another gig of memory-- can buy chips in stores and boost that, i understand-- this uses hardlyany power and my 150 wtt invertor is able to power it.
my hp pavilion used 10 amps/ hr to boot, and 6 amps per hour to run,
my dell from hell uses 6 amps/hr to boot and 4 amps /hr to run
my compaq uses between dell and hp-- has a 16 in screen hp had a 17 in screen--was great for movies on board!!!
but the most electrically efficient puter i have at present is this acer aspire netbook. i plan on getting more memory soon. the paperworx said 8 hrs batt time--lol--- mor elike 6. dell=1 1/2, compaq- 1 1/2--both those said 2 hours.
Old 18-10-2010, 14:18   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Motley,

Just to add to MarkJ's comments, for navigation programs I use either SeaClear or OpenCPN both free , sometimes both concurrently. SeaClear does the job but I think OpenCPN is the way to go once it becomes stable. The author and his helper's are doing a fantastic job writing OpenCPN.

For email I use a Globalstar satellite phone and XGate. For the past year or so Globalstar has been really cheap ~ 35/month for Canadian and USA waters and a lot of the Caribbean. Once you get over to Mexico and south it gets expensive because of roaming charges. I've heard that Irdium is better, don't know.

For computer(s) buy a couple netbooks like the Acer Aspire . Total $500 USD. Low power consumption and very reliable.
Old 19-10-2010, 09:21   #27

Boat: Slipper 42
Talking

Thanks everyone.

Now, if I have this right, I need an Acer Aspire (for the battery more than anything), Opencpn charts and a satellite phone with an X-gate and that will give me charts and internet. But how do I connect the Acer to the Garmin? And how do I connect the Phone - Xgate - Acer?

I have a little Honda genny (one of those 1 kilowatt jobs that look like a suitcase) that will charge my battery.

I now feel like I'm on my way to installing the capability I want, but I still feel there are possible glitches in my path. Sorry; I'm new to this technological navigation game (I've always done it the old fashioned way), and I'm feeling a little "unsure of my position".

Thanks again,

Motley.
Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 09:36   #28

fo9r the netbook to be efficient, the 1 gig needs to be augmented with chips-- then will be faster and more efficient....
Old 19-10-2010, 12:12   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Motley,

If, God forbid, I were to lose all my electronic stuff due to theft, lightning strike or some other act of God, I would replace it with:

1. Two Acer Aspire computers - $250 each

2. Two BU-353 GPS's - $50 each

3. Globaltstar phone - $250 on ebay (BTW I have a spare one for sale).

4. Xgate software - $250/year .

I would put one computer and one GPS in the stove's oven incase of another act of God.

Then I would download SeaClear and OpenCPN and all the NOAA charts I need - free

The BU-353 GPS just plugs into a a USB port on the computer. So then you have your navigation program and hopefully all the charts you need.

The Globalstar phone should also have a external carkit antenna so you don't have to take the computer outside with the phone. The carkit is I think ~$300. This setup would only give you email NOT internet. You can get another program, XWeb, to get internet but at the speed of the Globalstar phone its nearly useless. Better to just use Wifi when you are close to some marina that has wireless.

I still wouldn't have all I have now like AIS and radar but it would be a start.
Old 25-10-2010, 13:14   #30

Boat: One-Off 38" steel sailboat
Send a message via Skype™ to nemoofsweden
I run 2 different Aspire One onboard. The oldest one is now 3 years and only have 1,5 GB RAM. And the screen is broken. Nevertheless it works like a charm hooked up to a really cheep 14" touchscreen (800x600) on the navstation and a larger and brighter waterproof screen outside in the cockpit.

I bought a 9 cell battery (ebay from china) and with AAFan (similar fan-program are out there on the web) to keep the fan (and the power... and the salty air spray on the motherbaord) to a minimum I get about 13 hour running OpenCPN and my little favourite program NavMonPC on one charging. Using dc/dc plug or just normal 230V from a puresinusinverter.

The other one is newer and a little bit better (Aspire ONE 250 with just one GB memory) but running awful win7 and some crap from Android...)

Will soon enough make the latter an XP again...

The 2 old IBM thinkpads is still running XP and got the handy serial-port and the screen is large enough to run 1200x720 so that is good for MaxSea there.

For controlling i use a trackball glued to the chart table or just for showing off: AirMouse on a Ipod via the WiFi onboard. Wonder why we always do repairs instead of lying on the beaches...

2012/13: Cruising Patagonia
nemoofsweden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computers