Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2018, 21:38   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: A warning about magnetic iphone/ipad cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Same here, but I do believe the phones use a tiny flux gate sensor for compass, so the magnetic clasp doesn't make sense.

Magnetic field sensor - yes. Fluxgate - no, it wouldn't fit.

It's usually either a magnetoresistive or Hall effect magnetometer. (And they cost the phone manufacturer considerably less than a buck a piece)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 00:30   #32
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Magnetic field sensor - yes. Fluxgate - no, it wouldn't fit.

It's usually either a magnetoresistive or Hall effect magnetometer. (And they cost the phone manufacturer considerably less than a buck a piece)
Thanks Stu,
Would those be affected by a magnet?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 00:51   #33

Put your wife's phone in the case and see if you get the same outcome, probably time for a couple of new phones anyway
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:04   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Thanks Stu,
Would those be affected by a magnet?

Yes, they all work by detecting the surrounding magnetic field. A magnet will affect that.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:20   #35

Boat: Bavaria, Cruiser 33'
Send a message via Skype™ to dgmultimedia
A warning about magnetic iphone/ipad cases

The DualGps app only looks at the status of a Bluetooth external GPS device - you need an app that will check the internal gps status - that are a few ( although the free ones are swamped with adverts ).

Not needed post as already pointed out by others - duh.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:13   #36
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Yes, they all work by detecting the surrounding magnetic field. A magnet will affect that.
Then that certainly justifies the OP's warning. Thanks again!

[
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:51   #37

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Thank you. It’s strange, but I do have location services enabled for Navionics and my other gps-driven apps, but they are still showing my location as far off from my actual.

I’m still not entirely convinced the magnets in the phone case haven’t caused my issue, but at this point I just want to say thanks for everyone’s help. I don’t expect a bunch of sailors to try to troubleshoot what now appears to be a software issue on my iPhone!

All of Apples iPad covers and cases use a strong magnet to hold them on and another to hold the cover closed on the screen and detect opening. They are in use on probably millions of devices without any noticeable effect on navigation. I use mine in the cover all the time and the magnet is much longer then the one shown (all the way down the left side of the device). I would be less concerned about the magnet and more concerned that you have a faulty part.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:45   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
All of Apples iPad covers and cases use a strong magnet to hold them on and another to hold the cover closed on the screen and detect opening. They are in use on probably millions of devices without any noticeable effect on navigation. I use mine in the cover all the time and the magnet is much longer then the one shown (all the way down the left side of the device). I would be less concerned about the magnet and more concerned that you have a faulty part.

Jim
iPads yes. iPhones no. The tech was specific about Apple not selling magnetic cases for iPhones. A quick search on the Apple Store and I only see “elastic” wallet cases for iPhones. Not magnetic ones.

On the contrary, I imagine a cellular data iPad and an iphones’s internal components aren’t that different.

Also, the location and type of magnet in the case could be a factor.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:22   #39

Boat: Tartan30

Ok so I am asking the question because I don't really know the answer but here goes....
I know with iPADS some have cellular GPS which is basically electronic triangulation based on cell tower reception, and other models have ACTUAL GPS reception from the NAV SATS.
So.....( and I own one) does the iPhone have cellular GPS or real genuine Sat GPS?
I did not think that either the phone OR the iPad worked on magnetic sensors. I thought they were all based on signals, from towers or SATS then computer by a processor.
Not trying to be a smartass, but I think that makes a difference in the whole question.
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:34   #40

Boat: Cal-40

I think the important part here is to remember it was this technicians best guess. Now unlike this Apple genius I happen to not be anything close to a genius but I too shall make my best guess.
I feel with very high confidence that it’s something other the the magnets for no other reason except this.
I have one of these phone too and I have taken a polished peace of flat steel and superglued it to the back of the phone. I then took several powerful magnets and glued them at various places not only my truck but boat as well. This is my cheap but effective phone holder. I’ve noticed the steel on the phone is now magnetized. So my phone is always exposed to a strong magnetic field. The result? After several years nothing has happened.
But like I said before I’m no genius
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:36   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydaum View Post
Ok so I am asking the question because I don't really know the answer but here goes....
I know with iPADS some have cellular GPS which is basically electronic triangulation based on cell tower reception, and other models have ACTUAL GPS reception from the NAV SATS.
So.....( and I own one) does the iPhone have cellular GPS or real genuine Sat GPS?
I did not think that either the phone OR the iPad worked on magnetic sensors. I thought they were all based on signals, from towers or SATS then computer by a processor.
Not trying to be a smartass, but I think that makes a difference in the whole question.
All iPhones from the “iPhone 3G” onwards have all had an actual GPS receiver.
All cellular iPads from “the new iPad” (ie, ipad3) have had actual GPS receivers.
All non-cellular iPads do not have a GPS receiver - it’s contained within the cellular chips...
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:38   #42

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
You’re forgiven. Yes. Several times it’s been toggled. Location services, carrier settings, app cellular data settings, airplane mode etc etc, were all reset and/or toggled before the full wipe and iOS reinstall. The phone has the same abnormal GPS issues with the apps freshly installed on the new iOS.

Edit: All this was done before the Apple tech concluded that my GPS receiver hardware is fubar. He attributed it to the magnets in the case. I should note that the case has three strong magnets - one to hold the phone to the case and two to close the clasp that holds it shut.

It would seem obvious that to have the magnets in your case be able to attract and retain your IPhone, the IPhone MUST have a magnetic capable section. While for most purposes that is a magnetic material, Iron etc. it also can be the magnetic field generated by an electrical current, in a wire, coil or printed circuit board.

If there were no magnetic sections, your case could not hold the IPhone.

Just some obvious thoughts.
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:45   #43

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro

I don't know if this could help... BUT
I made my own case in nylon with my 3D printer. It is to hold the BOSE noise reduction case on the back on my iPhone 6s. There are 2 pieces that hold together with 4 neodymium magnets about 5mm dia x 3mm (they are very strong). THey are 2mm from the iPhone casing and I NEVER had any problem even in navigation with Google Map... which I think should use the same "circuits)...
So magnet problem is quite excluded for me. There are millions of iPad casing with magnets... no problem reported from what I know.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:21   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark43 View Post
It would seem obvious that to have the magnets in your case be able to attract and retain your IPhone, the IPhone MUST have a magnetic capable section. While for most purposes that is a magnetic material, Iron etc. it also can be the magnetic field generated by an electrical current, in a wire, coil or printed circuit board.

If there were no magnetic sections, your case could not hold the IPhone.

Just some obvious thoughts.
No. The phone is held in place on its sides by a thin, plastic case which has a magnet on its back. That case is then held inside the larger wallet case by magnet.

This is a photo of the parts of the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	174719  
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:42   #45

Sounds like you've investigated thoroughly - and hardware is indeed fubar. I've been having GPS problems on my android Samsung (Note 3), but usually get error messages indicating "GPS signal lost", or "searching for gps"....and don't have a magnetic case. More likely, it's due to age and a lot of miles riding on deck and on the handlebars of my mountain bike.

But - a few suggestions that may be useful :
- try an app like "GPS Data", that gives details on # of satellites, lat/lon coordinates etc....which may help confirm inaccuracies from hardware vs. apps
- Go online to Amazon or iPhone geek sites, to the reviews / q&a sections for your magnetic case - and search or ask about others having similar issues.
....if so, and they're common, maybe there's a fix out there - or maybe you could try making a claim against the case vendor or manufacturer....
- I presume you're out of warranty - but if you can't find any warnings from Apple that such cases can cause damage, you might try making the case that it's a defect they should still be liable for repairing.

....these last two are probably long shots for success - but you never know! I suppose you could suggest a class-action attorney will be your next call! Good luck...
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad, iphone, phone