Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2015, 11:47   #16

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39
Re: 8 yr old SSB - keep or sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Sidebar: And sorry if this is obvious, but the OP will need a license to transmit on SSB. .
I must not be remembering correctly since I got back from Mexico in 2009 - but, as I remember, I started both receiving and transmitting in both California and Mexico on my SSB between 2005 and 2009. I remember needing a license, but it was a nominal fee and no testing, one got it for just applying. It was, more or less, just registration of the radio. And as I remember, it was the same as for RADAR, and, I think, VHF. The licence that one must be concerned about for transmitting, and is not required for transmitting a distress call, is a HAM license. A different ball of wax - sort of.
What I purchased was an Icom ham radio and had a tech remove the chip to allow me to use it in the SSB frequencies. MUCH less expensive than a dedicated marine SSB. But I needed a ham license to transmit (legally) on the ham frequencies. I could listen (legally) to the ham frequencies, including to the various ham nets. As I recall from my pre-purchase research in 2005, I wouldn't have been able to even listen to the ham nets if I had a dedicated marine SSB.

This is from an 80 year old's memory, so temper my advice.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 11:55   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dan, if he's AT THE DOCK and INSHORE and has a VHF and cell phone already, wtf does he need to get involved with the SSB and manually setting frequencies to send out a manual distress call? Context. Can't play with it, can't learn with it, can't experiment with it, unless he has a license, or sets his boat on fire *and* traps himself belowdeck, so there's real distress.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 12:31   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

J.M.,
The SEA 222 is not a bad radio...not too popular with cruisers, but in its day (1980's - 1990's) was a decent rig...BUT..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
I checked the SSB model - it is something called a SEA 222. Certainly not a brand I'm familiar with.
But, be aware the early models/versions had the OLD frequencies / OLD 3.1khz spacing programmed in!!!
And, if yours has not been updated, you will not really be able to use it, except for receiving and/or manually entering the frequencies needed (a pain)....or you'll need to reprogram it...

And, also be aware that they are USB (upper-side-band) only, which is all that the maritime users use, but if desiring to use on the lower ham bands where LSB (lower-side-band) is used, you're out-of-luck...

BUT...
But, the good news is that if your SEA 222 turns on, you should be able to at least use it to listen to some marine HF nets, etc. (on the marine bands, and on the 20m and 15m ham bands)....

My only concern is that if you are new to HF radio, the complications involved in using/programming this old radio will simply turn you off from HF radio (Marine SSB or ham)....and that would be a shame...
(think of it as trying to learn about how-to use/program a new smart phone, but what you're "learning" with is an old land-line dial phone!!!)

If you wish to experiment, and listen, have fun, etc., that would be my recommendation....as long as you realize that new radios are a WHOLE LOT easier to use!! (and come all pre-programmed!)

Although, should you have the need for the cash, you won't be giving up on anything that you'll need....and FYI, they typically sell for about $250 - $300....

If you desire to read the manual, here is a PDF copy on-line, for free...
http://www.usna.edu/Sailing/document...als/sea222.pdf

And, here's a youtube video, showing a guy using/testing/programming a SEA 222, as well as showing the inside of it, etc.

And, here's a older discussion on a SEA 222...
SSCA Forum • View topic - Help getting SEA 222 SSB radio into Transmit mode

And, if you're bored and want to learn about HF Marine radio, etc. have a look at these Youtube playlists....
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZDo_Jk3NB_Bt1y

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rC-8QKVyMb4tVr

I hope this helps...

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 13:26   #19

My feeling is that the O/P should sell the unit. At present he states he has no use for it as he will be boating in areas where there is no need for an SSB. He will have internet, cell phone and VHF.

If some time in the future he will be cruising in areas where an SSB might be useful he can visit the various options at that time. My own feeling is that SSB will soon be ancient technology replaced almost entirely by satellite communication. I for one would not buy an SSB.
ebs001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 14:27   #20

Boat: Mason 44

ka4wja,

Good work. Lots of good info.

de 9M2EO, Eric
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 15:05   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The odds are that there is an antenna tuner, another mysterious box that is located someplace like an odd lazarette corner and connected to a backstay antenna.

In which case the OP doesn't just "have an SSB" but rather he's got a matched SSB system, already set up and configured with matched parts. Setting up a system ain't rocket science but then again, having one professionally set up and installed for you, can make rocket scientists seem underpaid.(G)

Just saying, there may be more to consider than "a radio" when or if it has to be replaced.

Market value for the SEA222 alone seems to go between $250 and $400, that's probably not going to change much if the OP waits a long couple of months to see what it is all about.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb