Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2014, 10:57   #31

Re: $4000 to spend and need much, help

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
add fishfinder to the list of plotter sounder and such, asit is a beneficial back up depth device and will show ground contours
Yeah, I like fishfinders, great second depth instrument for sure. Seem to be more powerful than some depth only ones too.. and cheap!

"Ooops, forgot the windvane....starting the think the ipad is a far off dream! "

You wont need a wind vane for the Bahamas or eastern Caribe. It'll probably get very little use.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 11:19   #32

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

For my 22' fishing boat I bought a used 8" color Furuno fish finder for $600, a fraction of new cost.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 11:32   #33

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
To get the most bang for your buck, buy quality used electronics. Have them checked by a pro.
What defines an electronics pro, and what can they do beyond pressing the buttons, looking at the menus and determining that all the functions work? Anyone can do the above.

It isn't like electronics are similar to mechanical things that an experienced pro might find a component out of spec or about to fail.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 12:44   #34

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
What defines an electronics pro, and what can they do beyond pressing the buttons, looking at the menus and determining that all the functions work?...
Good questions.

By "an electronics pro" I mean someone with decades of experience in selling and servicing these very marine electronics, like Maritime Communications in Marina del Rey, where I took my GPS/plotter and fish finder the instant I received them from their respective oBoy sellers. Maritime had the know-how, antenna, transducer and a necessary cable (items I had not yet received) to test these electronics in a timely manner, so I could accept or return them immediately.

I have never before owner a plotter or fish finder, and I hadn't the time to learn all the nuances of these two complex units, so I could know if they were safe to accept on such short notice.

Now I won't quote what little Ken charged me. But it was such an insignificant amount when compared to the thousand$ I saved by buying used.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 17:42   #35

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

I was wondering the same thing. I bought a boat with a Garmin GPS 2110 which seems to work fine, but it does not have the maps I need. This 2005 vintage chart plotter uses the old Garmin data cards that look like an oversized chicklet. The cards are very hard to come by.
While on my last big trip, I used both the expensive Furuno plotter and iNav on the iPad. iPad actually had better maps.
So, why buy a chart plotter? I can buy an iPad with the cell card (and GPS) for $400 and the screen is large.. Maps are the same price as for a chart plotter.. I can buy a back up and it is still less than a chart plotter with a smaller screen. Can get a mount...I can get a waterproof case and I can take it inside and plan a route while sitting somewhere comfortable.
what am I missing? I don't care about interfacing with the autopilot. Don't plan on getting radar. I like the depth sounder to be on a different screen.