Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-04-2014, 12:37   #1

Boat: Erickson 32'
3g radar dead after 2 weeks

I'm heading off shore in 2 weeks, for 2 months across the Pacific (Victoria, BC to Hawaii and back). I installed a new Lowrance 3G radar, and depth transducer with a HDS5X display 2 weeks ago. Worked fine for the past two weeks, then yesterday, suddenly, the display no longer recognizes the radar unit. The depth transducer is fine though. I've done continuity tests on all the either net leads and power test as well, including the yellow "wake-up" lead. All the wiring is unchanged and fine. I'm thinking it' a faulty dome. Anyone have any thoughts or experience to share?

Old 14-04-2014, 12:56   #2

Re: 3g radar dead after 2 weeks

I still always distrust the cables until proven otherwise. Continuity on network cables doesn't tell you much as signal level matters. A network signal could have been borderline from the start and then got a little worse.

If you have any spare cable (doubtful) swap one at a time. Next best, try treating each plug with something to improve conductivity. Sometimes, just exercising the plug will help.

I treat all network connectors with Deoxit. It can be magic around electronics.

Amazon.com: DeoxIT® Liquid, squeeze tube 100% solution 2 mL - D100L-2C: Electronics

Old 14-04-2014, 14:32   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I still always distrust the cables until proven otherwise. Continuity on network cables doesn't tell you much as signal level matters. A network signal could have been borderline from the start and then got a little worse.

If you have any spare cable (doubtful) swap one at a time. Next best, try treating each plug with something to improve conductivity. Sometimes, just exercising the plug will help.

I treat all network connectors with Deoxit. It can be magic around electronics.

Amazon.com: DeoxIT® Liquid, squeeze tube 100% solution 2 mL - D100L-2C: Electronics
Artist,
This is good stuff. It may solve your problem.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 14:42   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Two weeks?
Yes, get on the phone to Lowrance "TODAY" and ask for their support in diagnostics. Since time is short, they might simply send you a hot swap on the head unit and the cable, or run you through some diagnostics and then send out a hot swap. (And if they don't offer, ask them to do so anyhow.)

Remember, if the "fix" isn't right, you'll be down to just days before you need to go, with or without it, so time is already of the essence.
Old 15-04-2014, 00:34   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist View Post
I'm heading off shore in 2 weeks, for 2 months across the Pacific (Victoria, BC to Hawaii and back). I installed a new Lowrance 3G radar, and depth transducer with a HDS5X display 2 weeks ago. Worked fine for the past two weeks, then yesterday, suddenly, the display no longer recognizes the radar unit. The depth transducer is fine though. I've done continuity tests on all the either net leads and power test as well, including the yellow "wake-up" lead. All the wiring is unchanged and fine. I'm thinking it' a faulty dome. Anyone have any thoughts or experience to share?
This is not about the radar but heading out in the N. Pacific this time year is a bit risky weather wise. Especially on a 32' boat.
There are article low pressure system brewing out there this far north, assuming your in Victoria, BC.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: