Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2018, 16:36   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
25-30 inch TV / Computer Monitor

Hi all, what are some ruggedized / marinized 12 volt TV screen brands you’d recommend that are of reasonable cost? I would like to mount one on a swivel on the forward end of my nav table so it can double as a saloon entertainment unit. Inputs will be exclusively HDMI, so I really don’t care whether it is sold as a “TV” or a “Monitor”, if that makes a difference anymore these days. Maximum horizontal width is around 29 inches / 740mm, so target 27-28.

Does a “marinized” monitor really hold up that much better to cruising than standard consumer fare? How should I think about the trade off?

Thanks as always for your insightful help.

KS
weazardofinance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 16:55   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: 25-30 inch TV / Computer Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazardofinance View Post
Hi all, what are some ruggedized / marinized 12 volt TV screen brands you’d recommend that are of reasonable cost? I would like to mount one on a swivel on the forward end of my nav table so it can double as a saloon entertainment unit. Inputs will be exclusively HDMI, so I really don’t care whether it is sold as a “TV” or a “Monitor”, if that makes a difference anymore these days. Maximum horizontal width is around 29 inches / 740mm, so target 27-28.

Does a “marinized” monitor really hold up that much better to cruising than standard consumer fare? How should I think about the trade off?

KS
I bought a 23 inch Samsung 1080p tv 10 years ago, started cruising full time 7 years ago and it's still going strong, though the remote had to be replaced. I can't say anything about 12V brands.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 18:06   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Just look for regular TV's or monitors using power brick supplies. Most are 12 volts and will run fine directly off the house bank supply. As above, a standard telly will last a long time on a boat if not exposed to the elements. At the price differential, they probably are the best roi. Be aware that TV's are designed for viewing from a reasonable distance so even so called full hd TV's can have a low resolution that makes them unsuitable for use as a computer monitor when viewed within arms length.

Another consideration are usb powered monitors. They don't get above about 15" size, but think possibility of dual display / redundancy and most have higher resolution (2k or better) and, IMHO, are perfectly sized for navigation station use.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 18:55   #4

I have a Jensen 32" tv 12 volt. When I bought it it was a largest 12 volt TV I could find but now Jensen has a 40 inch 12 volt TV as well I've had it about 6 years and it's been a hundred percent Bulletproof
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 19:54   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:

KS
Xenarc makes some high res hardened monitors.
https://www.xenarc.com
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 10:49   #6

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

FYI- White a little more expensive, Jensen TVs are made for marine and RV environments... not just martenizing but also special circuits on the 12v line to better protect against voltage spikes from starter, jumper cables. Many models have built-in DVD/ CD player. This really simplifies all the wiring/ connection cables. Some make several wall brackets so the TV can be easily moved right into cockpit, birth, saloon just by plugging into those positioned 12v and push-on antenna connections. The remote also has all tv/ player (and radio) controls.
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 12:38   #7

Quote:

KS
a marinized monitor is about $6000 like a hatteland. just buy a normal TV / monitor. and try to find one that happens to run off 12v

the difference between a TV and monitor is a TV will have a coax input and a channel tuner. if you want to watch loacal over the air TV you can buy a TV and add an antenna. most places will pick up some local channels.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 14:42   #8

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

If you look hard you will be able to find one with the external power brick that drives the display with 12VDC. It is getting harder to find "smaller" TVs with a 1080p display - they are cutting costs to fight it out on the low end and many are just 720p - you really want at least 1080p. It is easier to find FHD monitors, but then you are stuck needing a separate receiver. One way to do that is to buy an HDHomeRun to receive, and use a computer (a Rapberry Pi 3 will do) to store and convert to HDMI. You can alternatively use a media center, often with Kodi, instead of the Pi for about $50. I use a ZettaGuard HDMI switch that has 4 inputs for use with my TV's single HDMI input, with remote.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 16:43   #9

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Check out majestic TVs we’ve got a 32 inch majestic 12 V television design for boats and RVs it will draw 6 A fantastic picture. Comes with a three year warranty
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 16:10   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

Originally we had an 24" Insignia brand TV/DVD combo from BestBuy. It had a power transformer (Brick) so it could plug into a wall outlet, but it ran on 12vDC. I broke it accidently and we ended up with a NAXA 12v TV/DVD Combo from Frys Electronics. Neither has given us any trouble in 3 or so years.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 16:10   #11

Boat: Tayana 37

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll check back in and show you the before and after pics!
weazardofinance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor