Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2018, 04:15   #1

2 Batteries, 1 VSR, Battery Charger and Alternator.. Can this be done??

SO my situation is I have installed a bow thruster with a dedicated AGM battery, this needs to charge. I already have a battery charger connected to my House batteries, Port Engine and Starboard Engine. I have installed a new second battery charger to handle the thruster and port start (I have taken this off the current charger to spread the load).

So I want to connect the battery charger ch1 to the thruster (AGM), ch2 to the port start and then I want the port alt to charge the thruster via VSR when running. I have connected this but when the battery charger is on the VSR is seeing voltage on both channels of the battery charger and it drops to 0.0 A.

How can I get this to work ?? - For reference the Battery charger is an Enerdrive 40A, and the VSR is a dual sensing Enerdrive model.

I've attached a pic of my setup - there is also a genset in the mix but I'm just having issues with the thruster setup..

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery set up.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	171118  
ozhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:56   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 402
Re: 2 Batteries, 1 VSR, Battery Charger and Alternator.. Can this be done??

You might get more responses if you post this on the Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar forum. Good luck!
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 23:52   #3

Re: 2 Batteries, 1 VSR, Battery Charger and Alternator.. Can this be done??

The vsr should work fine for charging like that.

The issue will be when you use the bow thruster. Half the Amps will try to come from the engine battery. Through the vsr wires So wires and fuses need to be huge. A prefer using an echo charger here instead. As it's limited to 15a on the charge cable then. This would have saved you buying the 2nd charger. (So does the acr)
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger, alternator