Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-02-2009, 01:57   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Grundig?

Grundig Australia have a range of LCD TV's that will run off a cigarette lighter socket.

Their Misuro HD looks interesting.

Old 18-02-2009, 06:54   #62

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time
I found a 19 incher HDTV for $199, at one of the chain electronics stores. It's a digital flat panel TV and computer monitor, just what I wanted and works off 12 volts. Now I need to check antennas to find one that has decent reception and also looks good on a sailboat mast. I've been looking at an amplified flatpanel array available at wally world for $33. I probably spring for it and give it a try soon.

Old 18-02-2009, 08:20   #63

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Just lurking and reading the mail...
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 07:55   #64
cruiser

If you were using a 12 volt digital tv the power consumption would be much less than a 110V TV on an inverter. With an inverter about 20% of your 12 volt power will be lost. GONE!
Old 19-02-2009, 08:10   #65

Or, better still, don't even turn the "square-eyed monster" on - 100% power saving!
Old 25-02-2009, 01:18   #66

I think its very important that any 12v domestic devices do not receive high charging voltages. The problem is that if they fail at some stage you never really know whether the higher voltages contributed. I run my 12v devices through a good quality 24v - 12v dropper. This means that they always get a stable voltage. It is posible to by 12v -12v from mastervolt as well.
Old 25-02-2009, 06:09   #67

Agreed. The boat's electrical system can swing between the lower end of 12V to the lower end of 14V (in a wet cell system) and even high when equalizing wet cells. Clamping to 12V and filtering spikes is a very good way to protect any "12V" gear that isn't built to take an electrical pounding.
Old 08-01-2013, 23:36   #68

Boat: cal cruising 46
Re: 12 volt flat panel tv?

I have had a regular HD Samsung LCD 32 inch 120 volt AC HDTV in my boat
Going on 5 years now. Still works as good as new
Old 09-01-2013, 06:16   #69

Boat: one/of in wood by André Mauric,15 meter

Personally I use a screen neovo AG 15 X rugged , made for a professional use. Taken 12 volts direct with a regulator 12v / 12v.The best.We can find it on Ebay.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:15   #70

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

I found a 24" Haier LED TV with built-in DVD player that uses an external "brick" power supply. Also bought a Carnetix 12V-12V DC-DC converter (intended for car-PCs) to give it and a few other things clean power, but have been running the TV directly on ship's power without difficulty. Then again it's seldom on while motoring and never during a charger equalize cycle.

It was larger and less than half the price of "purpose-built" 12V TVs, has both analog and digital tuners, can even time-shift record digital TV to a USB stick (not that I ever have) and display photo slideshows from USB (hangs on certain photos).

Mainly I wanted the largest 12V DVD/TV screen that would fit the available space, and built-in DVD is a convenience for the rest of the family. I can play DVDs on my laptop (which can also play Blu-Ray, in which case the PC can feed the larger screen), or for kicks run the Raymarine E120 video out to the "big screen" for guests.

Have to watch the model number carefully, the first one I bought turned out to be LCD, not LED (meaning LCD with fluorescent backlight) with only direct 120VAC input and an internal 19V power supply for the backlight (yes I took it apart to check if it was worth converting). However after that TV was stolen I was able to replace it with the LED/LCD version which uses the 12V "brick" power supply.

... and I just received another $7.52 cheque via the probation deptartment from the individuals responsible for taking the first TV (and leaving a credit card receipt, complete with cardholder name, in the cockpit). This has been going on for two years so far...
Old 12-01-2013, 19:33   #71

We run a 32inch flatscreen TV off our 3000watt inverterand would not change it. The computer plays the DVD and the flat screen Konka tv plays a great pic. By using a mass sold household TV you get the advantage of price and proven reliability. Our inverteris is electronic but not pure sinewave and it has been running freezers, lights, TV, computer blenders ... etc for several years. We charge the batteries via generator and 50amp batterycharger every couple of days in winter... by engine when we use the boat each week ...and every week or so in summer as solar keeps it topped up. I am amazed how people try to run things with nil/little battery drain, when a couple of hour charge to the batteries is so easy and cheap. We also use a small household freezer instead of the overpriced >marine"freezer (chucked out the almost new marine 12v expensive freezer that was power hungry and inefficient.) ... and it works fabulously well.... reliable and proven with millions of sales I keep a spare 1000w emergency inverter... and canalso plug everything into the 240v system in an emergency My summary advice... set it up for inverter...240 or 110v ... not 12 v .. you will never regret it.... btw... check out Trade me for good invertr prices.
Old 12-01-2013, 20:47   #72

I have a 32'' jensen 12 volt flat screen I love it

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: