Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2017, 13:52   #31

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Zip ties vs wire for locking shackles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
Hopefully, people reading/contributing to this post can see that there is not a unanimous answer. The OP specifically said he was only going to be on the boat for 2 weeks and pulling up the anchor very frequently (so he can/should inspect it while up). The largest sized zip tie will suffice for him. For the longer term wire is probably an appropriate investment. But so far on this thread I've read about 302, 304, and 316SS, Dyneema, and Spectra (interesting that no one mentioned welding....just kidding) with no consensus (not very helpful).
Well, there's always Black Loctite. Call it welding for fasteners in a tube

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 14:20   #32

Boat: Lagoon 500

I use Black (UV Protected) Zip Ties wherever I can, but not in critical applications. For Anchor Shackles, I use monel because it is easier to work-with, resists breakage, and has high fatigue strength.

I often see people feeding too many loops of Safety Wire thru the Clevis Pin and around the Shackle. This is somewhat futile. More is not always better. Twice around should be enough. Keep in mind that the only purpose of the Safety Wire is to keep the Clevis Pin from unscrewing. The Safety Lock is not load bearing.

After twice around, I butt the Safety Twist against the Shackle. I then zip a large Black Wire Tie over the end of the Safety Twist to protect me from wire cuts.

Old 09-05-2017, 17:10   #33

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

Why not stainless steel zip ties. I mentioned earlier. Easy and secure.
Old 09-05-2017, 17:12   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

An aircraft mecho friend gave us a one pound tin of .032" 304 s/s safety wire in 1986 when we first departed SF bound for Mexico. I've used it ever since with fine results. There has never been an issue with corrosion... after all, it is either submerged in the water or dry on deck, neither situation being the oxygen-starved type that s/s hates. Occasionally I find a broken strand, usually when we've been anchoring in areas with rock or coral on the bottom. I guess it snags when weighing and just breaks the wire. Imagine what happens to a plastic wire tie under similar conditions...

Comment: if one uses all of unciv's combined methods, ie wire plus dyneema plus locktite, one will then need to disconnect one's anchor within 24 hours... almost guaranteed!

Final comment: another method that works well is to peen over the end of the pin where it protrudes from the shackle, or even just use a center punch to stake the pin. Pretty foolproof, no cost or materials needed. Consider it "mechanical locktite"!

Jim
Old 09-05-2017, 17:43   #35

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
An aircraft mecho friend gave us a one pound tin of .032" 304 s/s safety wire in 1986 when we first departed SF bound for Mexico. I've used it ever since with fine results. There has never been an issue with corrosion... after all, it is either submerged in the water or dry on deck, neither situation being the oxygen-starved type that s/s hates. Occasionally I find a broken strand, usually when we've been anchoring in areas with rock or coral on the bottom. I guess it snags when weighing and just breaks the wire. Imagine what happens to a plastic wire tie under similar conditions...

Comment: if one uses all of unciv's combined methods, ie wire plus dyneema plus locktite, one will then need to disconnect one's anchor within 24 hours... almost guaranteed!

Final comment: another method that works well is to peen over the end of the pin where it protrudes from the shackle, or even just use a center punch to stake the pin. Pretty foolproof, no cost or materials needed. Consider it "mechanical locktite"!

Jim
Jim, Ain't that what thermite's for?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 18:00   #36
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
SNIP

Jim
I've used monel, ss wire, zip ties, and whipping cord....... and the above (after a good wrench tightening) works just as well as any AND with enough wrench torque applied, comes undone relatively well
Old 09-05-2017, 18:11   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdre View Post
Why not stainless steel zip ties. I mentioned earlier. Easy and secure.
They would be just as suitable as monel or ss wire.
Old 09-05-2017, 19:13   #38

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Zip ties are for holding cable bundles together, not for safety. Safety wire for long term use or SS split rings for short term applications (inspect after each use). Anchor shackles with tapered threads will seldom come apart if tightened properly but because no-one wants to loose an anchor, use wire or ring.
Old 09-05-2017, 19:59   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

If I had more German heritage in me, I'd not use anything.
I would just tighten the shackle, point at it and firmly say,

"Du wirst nicht abschrauben!"

Old 10-05-2017, 01:09   #40

Boat: Montevideo 43

Here is the thing. Buy a USD 100 000 boat. ensure it does not go walkies with a one cent zip tie.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:43   #41

Boat: falmouth oyster dredger, 22 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Days_at_a_time View Post
I'm putting on a new chain for the anchor, and am wondering if I should get Monel or stainless safety wire, or if zip ties are sufficient for locking my shackles. I don't leave my boat on the hook perminantly, but we will be staying on the boat for 2 weeks and will probably be picking the anchor up every day or two. So we would be able to keep an eye on them.
proper chain shackles dont screw in,, you push the pin through then fix with a split pin, but there hard to find nowdays. i would never trust a cable tie, locktite would be better, the anchor is your best insurance
Old 10-05-2017, 03:47   #42

Boat: falmouth oyster dredger, 22 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Well, there's always Black Loctite. Call it welding for fasteners in a tube
hi not a silly comment, ive done that, even hammered the end of the pin to widen it
Old 10-05-2017, 06:25   #43

Boat: Pearson

use wire ,s/s monel, in the old daye we used copper from house wire, it worked wear and tear on the bottom is a fact, its only your anchor...and crank down tight on your shackel and not a Chinese shackle. zip ties are for engine rooms.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:45   #44

Boat: Island Packet 32

Lots of diverse opinions as usual. I use the big black zip ties without worry. In the first place, they are not under much stress, all they do is keep the pick from backing out of the threads which is not all that much of a risk to start with. Having said that, I'm a seasonal coastal cruiser and when my anchor is in use, I look at it several times a week. At the beginning of each season, I cut off the old one (yes, they last a solid year for me and may last longer) disconnect it, clean it up and reinstall it, wrench tight with a new zip tie. At the same time I pull out all the chain and rode for inspection and repacking....all ready for the new season. As one commenter alluded to, make sure you get good shackles...there are a lot of really crumby ones out there and they are really a bigger risk. And if you are using swivels...that's a real weak link too.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:51   #45

Boat: Island Packet 32

You know....while we're taking about it...I would be really interested to hear from someone that has actually had one back out. My own experience is it takes PB blaster to get it off.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: