Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2017, 10:07   #16

Boat: Bayliner Discovery 246
Re: Zip ties vs wire for locking shackles

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll zip tie it for now and order some wire and change it out when I have nothing better to do.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:15   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Monel is better and very ductile but either works. The SS I had was much harder to bend, but you end up doing the final bend with pliars anyway. No, no zip ties.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:15   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAway View Post
I am curious why boaters use the type of shackle most commonly seen attached to boat anchors. In any test I have seen on anchor shackles, it always seems the failure (weak) point is the end of the shackle the pin is screwed into.

Why don't boaters use bolt-type shackles where the pin (bolt) passes through both ends of the shackle and is secured with a nut and cotter?
Because the bolt ends can jam on the bow roller side plates when the anchor comes up.

The difference is strength is less than you think, often zero. Either way, it is the threads or boss that fails, and there are the same number of threads and the same size boss either way.

The reason the separate nut or clevis is used on larger sizes is because the threaded boss is more prone to jamming if there is even slight slight distortion, making hand-tightening difficult. They are also less prone to loosening due to applied load torque. Remember that in industrial lifting, even 1- to 2-inch sizes are often only finger tight and they are not moused every time.

So it is different.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:27   #19

Boat: Nestor Volker 38' One Off Pilot House wood/glass fiber veneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
Has anyone ever used stainless split rings? two of these, one on shackle, one on pin connected to each other and double it up maybe?
Haven't thought that, it seems easy...!
I use Orthodontic wire (the type is used in braces) works great and its cheap! You find lots of diameters.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:36   #20

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

I use Loctite on the screw shackle along with stainless steel zip ties. Got them at West Marine. But my anchor shackle is a bolt type with nut and cotter pin and Loctite.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:40   #21

This is the stuff:
Ormiston Monel Seizing Wire Force 4 Chandlery
Zip ties likely to get worn away unless protected in some way
Old 09-05-2017, 10:56   #22

SS locking wire is usually 304 since 316 is too brittle to twist. And we all know how 304 behaves in seawater.... Monel is the better option IMHO.

Key rings are great for ripping the skin of your hands and I would never use them on my anchor gear. The best I have come across are shackles or swivels with counter sunk Allan bolts, secured by red LockTite (needs heat to loosen).
Old 09-05-2017, 11:48   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

I must agree with the aircraft Safety Wire.....Uncle Sam wouldn't let A64 fly without it.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:50   #24

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I too had SS split ring at the end of shackle pins. They were already installed when I acquired the boat I had then, and I let them be. For a reason I no longer recall I went to remove one at some point, and it simply broke open. No harm, but they were all immediately replaced with SS wire, which I then replaced on a yearly basis whether it was necessary or not. It was never reused. One thing I did learn, and I think most of us already know: not all SS is of the same quality. For example I have a roll of SS wire in my home garage. It was purchased at Harbor Freight, but since I do not know the quality I would not take it on the boat. It might be fine but .... There are a lot of SS products that are fine on land, but not so much in a marine environment. If you find a good marine quality SS wire (316 or 304?) buy it and use it. You are unlikely to run out any time soon even if you replace it often in every application on your vessel. I have never found or used Monel. BTW, while aircraft quality stuff is great, it stresses are different on boat and planes so the cross-over is not automatic. Probably grater loads and stresses on aircraft, but they may spend less time wet with saltwater.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:50   #25

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I prefer wire. Generally use stainless fishing leader 100 lb test. Have seen zero corrosion on dinghy applications above the w/l. I don't know about zip tie resistance to UV or salt water. If good I would use where a twisted tie is not needed.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:52   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

no zip ties.
cotter rings or safety wire. i use stainless or galvo depending on my findings locally.
use zip ties expect to inspect daily.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:59   #27

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Hopefully, people reading/contributing to this post can see that there is not a unanimous answer. The OP specifically said he was only going to be on the boat for 2 weeks and pulling up the anchor very frequently (so he can/should inspect it while up). The largest sized zip tie will suffice for him. For the longer term wire is probably an appropriate investment. But so far on this thread I've read about 302, 304, and 316SS, Dyneema, and Spectra (interesting that no one mentioned welding....just kidding) with no consensus (not very helpful).
Old 09-05-2017, 12:32   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
Hopefully, people reading/contributing to this post can see that there is not a unanimous answer. The OP specifically said he was only going to be on the boat for 2 weeks and pulling up the anchor very frequently (so he can/should inspect it while up). The largest sized zip tie will suffice for him. For the longer term wire is probably an appropriate investment. But so far on this thread I've read about 302, 304, and 316SS, Dyneema, and Spectra (interesting that no one mentioned welding....just kidding) with no consensus (not very helpful).

Kinda like voting, decision based on personal choices...

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 13:01   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
Has anyone ever used stainless split rings? two of these, one on shackle, one on pin connected to each other and double it up maybe?
I do not recommend split rings because the end of the split easily catches rope fibers; and then when the rope is pulled the ring can be deformed in a manner that unwinds (straightens) it. Next thing you know the ring rotates out.... not good.

Been there, done that, don't use them anymore.
Old 09-05-2017, 13:42   #30

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds
Send a message via Skype™ to SaltyMetals

I use a SS shackle with counter sunk pin that needs an Allen key. Also blue locktite. No wire, no zip-ties. But only ever anchor for max 10 days in one place. All you guys seem to think that it needs to be a classic shackle which you can the lock with wire. My solution allows a trouble-free entry of the anchor through the shoe. If I used a classic shackle it would probably jam, or most certainly scratch the SS shoe. Absolutely no sign of the shackle coming loose.

Maybe if you use a classic shackle it is the head of the pin rubbing against rocks or hitting the edge of the shoe, that loosens the pin. Since my arrangement has no protruding head I do not have that problem.

Right? Or should I re-think my setup?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: