Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2019, 03:40   #106

Re: YouTube Sailors - Overly Romanticized Or Just Lacking Details?

Watching YouTube sailing channels is like eating a chocolate bar for supper. Not realistic but a guilty pleasure.

I chose to enjoy those channels that are a bit more down to earth, show the warts or the challenges.

So I follow, in no particular order;

Sailing Ran. A nice young Swedish couple on a 30 yea old boat. Johan is right now rebuilding his engine while in a borrowed slip in Seattle. He sailed deep into the South Atlantic on a previous boat, came home saved up met a nice Swedish girl and rebuilt their current boat before leaving Sweden in the winter to start the journey. The do ask for support through Patreon but I doubt the make a lot from it.

WindedVoyage. Alex is a cool guy that spent his life as a media artist. Good music, older boat, worked hard to learn and is sailing slowly through the Med and coast of Africa

HappyTogether. Very well to do couple, just bought a new Leopard 50. Good music, okay production values and donít really care. Are retiring a week at a time as both still work. Randy does his own basic maintenance but not afraid to spend money if required. Nice folks.

SailingZatara. A family of 6 on a 15ish year old cat. Live a pretty good life, share their expenses. Can be opinionated, donít care if you donít like what they say. Anyone sailing with four kids is braver than I.

There are more but each of these appeals for different reasons.

rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 10:56   #107

Hahaha.

If you don't like the content on Youtube, upload your own. That's the point of the platform.

And if you want a video of someone's entire, unedited, boring day, you would be the only one watching.
They don't 'leave things out' so much as they cut out the boring things, the downtime, the bad days and moods because why would anyone want to *watch those videos*? And video editing is difficult and time consuming. I've tried it before and hours of work yields only a few minutes of finished product. Not the easiest way to make a living, especially with the way Youtube shares ad revenue with the creators of the content. I don't see any of the channels you guys rip on hawking much merchandise, and some talk about continuing freelance work abroad.

Jesiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 08:43   #108

Boat: Catalina 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Iíve only seen a few of hers, but I was amazed at how lucky she was to have multiple cameras all set up and rolling just at these ďrealĒ crisis moments in her ďrealĒ life.

These videos feel as real to me as most reality TV shows. Videos like these are clearly meant to manipulate the viewer so as to generate clicks and donations.

Nothing wrong with that. Media has always done this. But donít be fooled into thinking what youíre seeing in these videos is reality. Every second is crafted for a purpose.
Very true. It's sort of like quantum mechanics; the very act of observing changes the outcome! When my son was younger, he started watching a "reality" show about wilderness survival, and was mightily impressed by the host's bravery. When I pointed out to him that there was a film crew there with him to record the host's actions, that sort of rocked him as he hadn't thought of that. I then pointed out that even if the host slept in a tree and ate bark and roots, the film crew was probably in a tent with real food nearby. My son had to concede that just knowing there were other people and help right nearby made the "survival" story less compelling.
hukilaumike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 09:13   #109

Boat: BAYLINER 4788

OK, I fall into the dreamer category I suppose.

I have the boat (a 47’ power boat), and am just waiting to retire (24 months and counting)

I like to watch several youtube channels but generally choose the less overtly sexual ones.

What I get from them is a glimpse of places I am planning on going, so I tend to like the pacific mexico ones, being West Coast based.

What I find wonderful about the ones I follow is the ingenuity and creativeness of these couples to make a living outside the regular 9-5 job scene. Being a guy that is nearing the end of a 40 year working life I can see the appeal.

I am also amazed at the obviously small cruising budgets some of these folks have, but they seem to make it work.

The ones I really like are...

SV adventurer https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpnuWBGpQp-SWgtGsKGBoFA

Project Atticus https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCF45qzioJ_0FVdZVG2NJTWg

SV Prisim https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCr9pCaMpbVNa6OHC4We2nTA
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 18:35   #110

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

I have to admit that I have found some good info on a number of these video channels. But I usually search the content with a place or an anchorage in mind. Its a good way to gather up the lay of the land. A real time window into a tricky reef entrance or a good anchorage to wait out a norther in the Bahamas. Or maybe info on transiting the Panama Canal.... that sort of thing.

I have to admit I usually don't pay too much attention to the day to day fodder that seems to constantly ooze out of the personalities. Lots of it is click bait or alcohol fueled madness. I find it strange why anyone would spend a day or two with a camera shoved in their face and then put it out on the internet. You can see the strange curiosity of it all as they walk around a small village in a foreign land completely oblivious to the locals around them. Watch for the glancing stares from the casual passer by wondering what in the world these knuckleheads from a foreign land are doing gawking at a go pro and talking to themselves.

I know there are a few you tubers that garner a cash flow from their efforts.....I get that. But man, at what price. Just look at the Delos crowd. I really like those guys but they sure seem burned out on having a camera stuffed in their face while they try and put out only the good vibe. "Chill" I think is the word.

And sorry but I have to ask.... What is it with the you tubers and brushing their teeth? Never fails there is likely to be some you tuber filming themselves brushing their teeth. Do we care about seeing someone snoozing in their rack or brushing their teeth. What is next?

Just sayin.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 07:25   #111

Long time / first time.

check out Free Range Sailing on youtube. Very real.

also saw a channel today with very few views. Nick O'Kelly. (We are limited by what youtube is prepared to show us) Vlogger is a meteorologist and has interviewed a few cruisers about their experiences....very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbU...rJ4OZCNH7-gjjQ
https://www.youtube.com/user/nickokelly/featured
GrabtharsHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 06:39   #112

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabtharsHammer View Post
Long time / first time.

check out Free Range Sailing on youtube. Very real.

also saw a channel today with very few views. Nick O'Kelly. (We are limited by what youtube is prepared to show us) Vlogger is a meteorologist and has interviewed a few cruisers about their experiences....very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbU...rJ4OZCNH7-gjjQ
https://www.youtube.com/user/nickokelly/featured

Thanks for that link. I have watched heaps of Free Range Sailing. Really enjoy their efforts.

The Nick O'Kelly channel is fantastic!! Have not run across that one.

Tx.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 18:06   #113

Boat: Shopping for a cruiser

I think Drakeparagon is pretty good. But I'm only a couple of episodes in. Seems like pretty realistic series anout sailing from Oriental, NC to Greenland.
gallatin1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 03:53   #114

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
... I watched the rigging doctor a couple of times, and finaly unsubscribed. The channel does not inspire me nor the technical content they provide.

I expect from a "doctor" a more professional background. They are trying hard to make a living online, but they overestimate their skills somehow, they are newbees still learning the lines. There are better channels out there.

Agreed. Opinion and even legend presented as fact and an agenda. Not good for those following in our wake to have such bad information relied upon.

I do enjoy Distant Shores.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 04:09   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I donít follow any YouTube Sailors but I appreciate the work required to create good content on YouTube. My son creates content that takes hours to shoot and edit plus adding music. It took him six months to create the Red Sea Chronicles just in the editing process.

Now with the go pro, shooting the content is easier, but editing is everything if you want a professional result.

He has a YouTube channel called Maxingout, and you will find the content is solid and real.

https://m.youtube.com/user/maxingout

I broke my hip before setting sail, and he created a rap music video called the Acetabulum Rap. Have a listen and you can see the amount of work that goes into a good video.

maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 04:19   #116

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
... editing is everything if you want a professional result.

No amount of editing can make up for bad content. This is a general statement and does not refer to your references which I have not watched. People send me links to ask what I think. More often than not there are errors of fact that can be substantiated with good engineering calculations and footnotes.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 07:01   #117

Yes, no one cares how much work is needed.

I would much prefer amateur quality production values and better quality information with a focus on valuing the viewers time.

People **not** trying to monetize are better by far.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 07:26   #118

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukilaumike View Post
Very true. It's sort of like quantum mechanics; the very act of observing changes the outcome! When my son was younger, he started watching a "reality" show about wilderness survival, and was mightily impressed by the host's bravery. When I pointed out to him that there was a film crew there with him to record the host's actions, that sort of rocked him as he hadn't thought of that. ...
Nice way of putting it. Exactly. None of these productions are actual reality. They are filmed, and more importantly edited, with an intent in mind. If itís on Youtube, mostly this intent is to drive clicks, sponsorships and donations. Secondarily itís to generate credentials, profile and celebrity (which can lead to more sponsorships, other gigs, and more donations).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Media of all sorts has always done this. Just donít be fooled into thinking what youíre seeing on the tubes is ďreal.Ē

As the disclaimer often says: ďThis is a story based on actual events

Tags
sail