Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2018, 13:12   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26S
your opinion please..

Hello there,
Need your opinion on an email I sent to a skipper whom I'm considering to do a passage from Mexico to Hawaii. He was recommended by someone running a similar operation that I met on Boat Show in Toronto a few days ago during a seminar.
I exchanged a couple of introductory emails with the guy and he was very quick to communicate with me, but once I sent him the last one he went silent.
I'm wondering why, was it inappropriate in any way?, was there something that might have offended him?, or reasons he might have deemed me a bad fit?

here you go:

Quote:
I'm like you (although much later in life) facing some substantial changes and would like to make sailing bigger chunk of my life.

The passage to Hawaii (including a detailed and comprehensive curriculum) would be close to perfect given my interests and ambitions - buying a blue-water boat and sailing off shore, saying that, the schedule may not fit me, ....

Regardless I'd like to ask you a couple of questions that I'd ask any skipper I'm to sail 20+ days on the ocean with:
- I read about the boat on your website and she looks well equipped, and sound..., so just a question about safety gear, and do I bring my PDF, harness, tether, PLB?;
-have you done long passages before?, your website mentions of 1-3-day as a model (philosophy) for gaining experience, doesn't mention you crossing the oceans;
-my understanding is, that there are three paying sailing-apprentices on board, with what could be a rudimentary (or none) sailing experience, how do you handle that?, do you screen potential candidates (to have one able seaman) so you don't have to single-hand the boat till the rest get their sealegs and can hold a watch independently?

Don't want only ask questions, so I'm to volunteer some answers to questions you may have:
Sailing BIO:
-sailing for >35 years, fresh water and recently a passage Bermuda - Halifax;
-did a course ending with Yacht Coastal Skipper certificate (Poland);
-sailed my own 20' Omega (open cockpit) for 8 years;
-sailed on different cabin boats (20-25'), including running for a three years sailing camps on Balaton Lake (Hungary);
-taught kids at sailing camps for a few years;
-then sabbatical for about 17 years;
-sailing my 1991 MacGregor 26S on Georgian Bay (Lake Huron) for last 9 years in almost all condition that that lake can throw at you (including snow squalls in October).

A little about myself, interests, likes and what not:
Confident swimmer, never sea sick (so far), I'm tenacious and efficacious, adventurous and curious, good with maintenance and repairs.
I'm in v.good shape in all aspects of body and mind & possessing sense of humor, self-deprecating too
I'm self-employed (Industrial Electronics), avid tennis player, skiing instructor, ski patroller, equestrian instructor;
I hunt, I cook, I sing and can repair almost anything

Motivation and resons:
I want to sail the Oceans, I've always wanted; my situation allows me that it may become a reality.
I'm giving myself about 2 years to cast off.
Trying to arrange for more bluewater experience before I buy and rig out a boat and then train for a season or two on Huron Lake so we are both ready for a new experience plus more offshore trips on somebody else's boat(s).

BTW my younger daughter (18) is very interested in Hawaii, passionate I would say, so she may like sailing around there and so would I.
BTW the boat is Cape George 31 '91 and I'm paying for the passage.
Tnx
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 13:32   #2

Re: your opinion please..

Well, if this exchange began "a few days ago," I think you're jumping the gun on being concerned about non-response. Also, someone like this may well be reading this forum, so there's that. I'd just be patient...
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 13:32   #3

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I find nothing in your email that's over the top, inspires nervousness or is pushy.

Maybe his life is getting in the way of his answering in a timely way.

Good luck to you - it sound like you've thought this thing through.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 13:43   #4

Boat: Najad 373

Indeed, nothing wrong, it speaks about your careful thinking through all what can matter.
Skipper might be at sea for a couple of days, so be patient.
Questionable is indeed the novice crew...
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 13:43   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: your opinion please..

Or maybe he's having second thoughts about 4 adults on a 31ftr non stop for a few thousand miles.. water and stores being a major consideration.
Tempting as 3 paying crew might be.. time to juggle and see which ball drops.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 14:04   #6

Boat: MacGregor 26S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
Well, if this exchange began "a few days ago," I think you're jumping the gun on being concerned about non-response. Also, someone like this may well be reading this forum, so there's that. I'd just be patient...
he must be reading this forum
I have jumped the gun,
Just got an answer:
Quote:
Hello, Kaz!

Thank you for your email and excellent questions.
I am writing a follow-up email and will send it to you soon.

Kind regards,
sensibilities too finely tuned, or craving for instant gratification, I guess , I may not be a good candidate for long passages ..
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 14:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo View Post
he must be reading this forum
I have jumped the gun,
Just got an answer:

sensibilities too finely tuned, or craving for instant gratification, I guess , I may not be a good candidate for long passages ..
That's hilarious. Thanks for letting us know. Hope it all works out.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease