Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 20:49   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Your Ignore List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Make that cicadas and the crackling of eucalyptus burning and the smell of freshly caught hot smoked trout .
Forget the loons, it's magpies chortling at dawn that is the most beautiful birdcall .
Magpies have a beautiful sound????

Not where I am from. They are pretty well universally hated did as loud and obnoxious birds. To boot they play havoc on the eggs of neo- tropical songbirds often decimating whole clutches.
Old 09-08-2013, 21:17   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Magpies have a beautiful sound????

Not where I am from. They are pretty well universally hated did as loud and obnoxious birds. To boot they play havoc on the eggs of neo- tropical songbirds often decimating whole clutches.
Maybe the Aussie magpie has evolved to something different then . Aussies do tend to be a little unique .

To quote Wikipedia:
"One of Australia's most highly regarded songbirds, the Australian Magpie has a wide variety of calls, many of which are complex."

Although aggressive with its swooping during nesting season and omnivorous (mice etc), in Australia the magpie is basically a ground feeder and not a predator of songbirds .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 09-08-2013, 21:39   #123

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Don't quite understand the need for ignore lists and I might be on many but that is life. If you don't want to read a post or for that matter an entire thread, don't read it.
I still have a lot to learn about many of the facets of cruising. And there are a couple of areas where I have learned or experienced something that others have asked about. I find it to be distracting and sometimes annoying when the topics drift because of posts that either are off topic, either because someone is just trying to get their post count up, or they are just looking for any opening to push their off-topic views. For instance; in a thread about repairing fiberglass someone interjects something like "you wouldn't have to patch your fiberglass if you would have spent five years building a ferro cement boat in your backyard." Or "only right-wing extremists repair their own fiberglass rather than paying the guy who lives on the derelict boat to do it so he can afford to buy some fortified wine."

I'm pretty sure that several of my ignore list entries are just trolls who pop up stir things up and then go away.

I don't like getting sucked into the side chatter so I set the filer to eliminate it. Kind of like narrowing your search when you get 10,000 links and you just want to get to the useful ones.
Old 09-08-2013, 22:14   #124

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Larry View Post
Well, thanks to the Guns and Hunters, Security, and Climate Change threads my ignore list is now at 99.
Pretty soon, you'll just be talking to yourself...uh...maybe you already are and just don't know it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 10-08-2013, 08:56   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Pretty soon, you'll just be talking to yourself...uh...maybe you already are and just don't know it.
Some use the the ignore list the same way that some stick the fingers in their ears and go "La la la la".

The only one on ignore on any of my forums, let loose at me with a highly personal attack.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:33   #126

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Some use the the ignore list the same way that some stick the fingers in their ears and go "La la la la".

The only one on ignore on any of my forums, let loose at me with a highly personal attack.

Sad that happened. But putting your head into the sand does not hide his posts from all others.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:39   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Sad that happened. But putting your head into the sand does not hide his posts from all others.
I do see his messages when someone quotes him. But I also do not get an email when he posts to a subscribed thread.

My CF ignore list is blank.
Old 18-11-2013, 04:30   #128
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I have determined that adding people to the ignore list is just like reefing. When the thought occurs to you it is probably already too late. And in the end it is easier to take them back off if things change.
Old 18-11-2013, 04:47   #129
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I'm making a list,
and checking it twice,
gonna find out
who can and can't splice...

actually the only list I have at the moment is a slight one to starboard but that's because all the port hull water tanks are empty.
Old 18-11-2013, 05:07   #130

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

I haven't been here long but certain members either don't know what they're talking about or are poor trolls. I enjoy my visits much more when I don't see them.
Old 18-11-2013, 06:10   #131

Boat: Skookum 53'

I sometimes should use the ignore feature, however have not yet. I came close once.
Old 18-11-2013, 06:25   #132

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

I think the ignore list make perfect sense and it's very much in order with how the world of communication works. I go to numerous places where groups come together. I tend to pay attention to all who share. After some time and familiarity I start paying more attention to those who make more, more or less, sense. I don't mean that I only listen to those who share my particular prejudices and bias. I'm more interested in folks who show some skill in logic and reason. I'm very interested in opposing views. I'm looking to contribute and I'm looking to learn. Those who 'know' the truth bore me and offer little more than theator and distraction. I don't do meanness. I fall into it myself sometime when I get sucked into it, but am willing to back out asap. Make my amends and move on. "mean people suck". So Those that are repeat offenders get shuffled off to the Ignore list.
Old 18-11-2013, 09:45   #133

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I have one person on my ignore list but have not seen them post in a long time, so I guess they went away. I have quite a few threads on my ignore list. They are mostly the contentious threads that stick around forever and have little meaningful (to me) content.
Old 18-11-2013, 09:52   #134

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I have one person on my ignore list but have not seen them post in a long time, so I guess they went away. I have quite a few threads on my ignore list. They are mostly the contentious threads that stick around forever and have little meaningful (to me) content.
Say, if that person is on your ignore list, would they then ever appear to you?

I thought the list's function was to keep the "ignoree" from bothering you by showing up in threads. I've never used it, so don't really know how it works!

JIm
Old 18-11-2013, 10:00   #135

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Its been quite a while but yes, they do show up as having posted in a thread but no content of their post.
Closed Thread