Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2016, 08:28   #31
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: yacht wrecked, 2 dead, capetown

I've sailed that coast twice. On my first passage, I hove to for a quick nap. "Quick" can always be a very relative term when lying down for some rest. Anyway, I awoke uncomfortably close to a benign "beach" setting, having been carried by the current. One of those luck second chance situations. Still, I attribute the close call to diverging from my normal routine of standing well off from 'the hard', so far I can rarely see it.

Just a 'solo-sailor' thing that's kept me safe.

There's probably some great views of coasline I've missed, but...

My condolenes to the victims and family.
__________________

__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:43   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cruising Indian Ocean / Red Sea - home is Zimbabwe
Boat: V45
Posts: 1,282
Re: yacht wrecked, 2 dead, capetown

Its a beautiful but unforgiving coast - with refuges spaced rather inconveniently far apart. SA does have a wonderful rescue service, though.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I've sailed that coast twice. On my first passage, I hove to for a quick nap. "Quick" can always be a very relative term when lying down for some rest. Anyway, I awoke uncomfortably close to a benign "beach" setting, having been carried by the current. One of those luck second chance situations. Still, I attribute the close call to diverging from my normal routine of standing well off from 'the hard', so far I can rarely see it.

Just a 'solo-sailor' thing that's kept me safe.

There's probably some great views of coasline I've missed, but...

My condolenes to the victims and family.
__________________

__________________
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 14:47   #33
Registered User
 
first wind's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chesapeake bay area
Boat: 1971 cal 27
Posts: 419
Re: yacht wrecked, 2 dead, capetown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
What makes you think just wearing a life vest is gonna save your monkey end point? Rocks are rocks.
i never said it was guaranteed to save your life. however, if you are wearing a PFD when you hit the water, your survival chances are better than if you aren't.
__________________
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:30   #34
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: yacht wrecked, 2 dead, capetown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Its a beautiful but unforgiving coast - with refuges spaced rather inconveniently far apart. SA does have a wonderful rescue service, though.
Indeed, they do. An otherwise uneventful approach to Hout Bay in January 2012 turned ugly for me when the 'Doctor' dropped in unnanounced. Short story is a torn main, uncertainty about 'which way things could go' in an already bad situation, and the realization conditions may only get worse if I headed away into the shipping lanes - beyond radio contact - I issued a pan-pan. Cape Town relayed my call to Hout Bay Rescue who hadn't heard it. After a fashion my boat and I were successfully towed into Hout Bay against 65 knot wind and steep seas. Great team and they deserve our deepest gratitude for the service they provide.

Please. Save the comments about my boat's appearance....
Solo yachtsman rescued off Hout Bay: | nsri.org.za
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:26   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cruising Indian Ocean / Red Sea - home is Zimbabwe
Boat: V45
Posts: 1,282
Re: yacht wrecked, 2 dead, capetown

Wow, Bob, that is some experience....... I feel that all rescue guys, from sea rescue through fire fighters etc are all real hero's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Indeed, they do. An otherwise uneventful approach to Hout Bay in January 2012 turned ugly for me when the 'Doctor' dropped in unnanounced. Short story is a torn main, uncertainty about 'which way things could go' in an already bad situation, and the realization conditions may only get worse if I headed away into the shipping lanes - beyond radio contact - I issued a pan-pan. Cape Town relayed my call to Hout Bay Rescue who hadn't heard it. After a fashion my boat and I were successfully towed into Hout Bay against 65 knot wind and steep seas. Great team and they deserve our deepest gratitude for the service they provide.

Please. Save the comments about my boat's appearance....
Solo yachtsman rescued off Hout Bay: | nsri.org.za
__________________
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 18:26   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 751
Re: yacht wrecked, 2 dead, capetown

For those people who don't understand the power of waves on rocks it is simple. Imagine yourself being rolled in the surf caught by a huge wave. Now place rocks along the path that you're going to be rolled in. Can u imagine your fate. One look at the boat should tell you what your chances of survival would be if that's what happened to a hard skinned boat versus your fragile body. When rolled in heavy surf u are absolutely powerless to control your direction. What would your answer be if I asked you to jump of a ladder 10 feet high onto the rocks below and do a flip with a half gainer ... What r your chances now?

What I don't like about this story is that someone royally messed up. Until more is known it could be a mechanical problem that they weren't able to escape current or wind and were to close-in when things went to hell. It could have been dereliction of duty while on watch. People lost their lives and that is never a good way to go no matter what your age. I feel so sad for thes people. I hope we hear more about the facts soon.
__________________

__________________
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
yacht

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
blue marble wrecked in niue! atoll Cruising News & Events 40 12-09-2013 21:07
Pure magic cat wrecked off NSW south coast. Mick C Multihull Sailboats 35 17-05-2012 02:48
Multihull Wrecked on Ulithi Atoll svstrider Cruising News & Events 29 13-04-2010 14:34



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.