Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2013, 08:43   #76

Re: Yacht Club Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
And it is so hard to take a dink to gain access to the boat and sail away...
Or climb the fence.. Or row a dinghy... Or ask another member to let me in...
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 10:20   #77

This seems pretty simple. The full member is responsible for all of the moorage fees since the associate member cannot hold a slip in the club. HIS privileges should be suspended while he is not in good standing.

The associate member paid significant funds for in essence, a key to the facilities. Denying that based on a non payment by another person for a slip that the associate member does not lease, is a breach off the associate member's contract with the club.

The fact that the associate member owns part of the full member's boat is immaterial. Money was paid for access to the facilities. Access should be granted, or the funds returned.
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 03:01   #78

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Romberg View Post
This seems pretty simple. The full member is responsible for all of the moorage fees since the associate member cannot hold a slip in the club. HIS privileges should be suspended while he is not in good standing.

The associate member paid significant funds for in essence, a key to the facilities. Denying that based on a non payment by another person for a slip that the associate member does not lease, is a breach off the associate member's contract with the club.

The fact that the associate member owns part of the full member's boat is immaterial. Money was paid for access to the facilities. Access should be granted, or the funds returned.
Are you suggesting that the associate should be able to use a boat that is moored in a slip that has not been paid for? I think the OP is interested in using the boat and it's (was) in a slip with dues in arrears.
Old 15-02-2013, 05:25   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Are you suggesting that the associate should be able to use a boat that is moored in a slip that has not been paid for? I think the OP is interested in using the boat and it's (was) in a slip with dues in arrears.
Basically, they are denying someone access to his property based on the actions of a third party. Even if the boat is moved the slip fees are still outstanding and the full member remains liable for them. If the club does not want the boat using the slip then they should ask one of the owners to move it elsewhere and not allow it back until the fee is paid.

If the mooring fee has now been paid then Mr-Canada should be permitted access to HIS boat
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 05:29   #80

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Everyone keeps forgeting that OP is the HALF owner of the boat... He has a responsiblility as a half owner to pay the dock fees reguardless of his status in the Yacht Club.

The Yacht Club obviously knows he is s half owner and accordingly suspended his privledges, by not issuing a key until the slip/mooring was paid.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 05:33   #81

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Everyone keeps forgeting that OP is the HALF owner of the boat... He has a responsiblility as a half owner to pay the dock fees reguardless of his status in the Yacht Club.

The Yacht Club obviously knows he is s half owner and accordingly suspended his privledges, by not issuing a key until the slip/mooring was paid.
That's always been my understanding of debt liability under general partnership rules, and I believe a general partnership is what we have here.
Old 15-02-2013, 06:03   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
A naive question:

It looks like you are not sailing the boat at all? Am I right? No key to access the dock, the coowner out for month (leaving the wife behind?) etc..
So I'm wondering why a Yacht Club and why a coownership if you don't sail?
Old 15-02-2013, 06:05   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post

Please, someone tell me what I am missing here? I certainly understand the OP's frustration with his partner. They are co-owners of a boat, berthed at the yacht club's dock. The dock fees are in arrears. Up and until the dock fees are brought current, the OP has no standing. The yacht club is within their rights to deny access until all fees are current. I'd like to address another curiosity. The OP is an associate member. I assume full and pledged members enjoy more privileges and status than a mere associate. From what I read, there is no mention as to whether an associate members, after a trial period, must be voted by membership into the club as an unabridged member. His dissatisfaction and run up with the commodore does not bode well for an associate. Perhaps times have changed, despite paying for what is essentially a dockage fee, which appears to be the prevailing market rate, would we be surprised to find the OP out on his ass on the curb at some point? There might be finer print in the by-laws to bring home that point, without reimbursement. Now that would be the kind of club worthy of my membership. He might look at himself and remember the quote: "I don't want to belong to any club who would accept me for a member."
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 06:46   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
That's always been my understanding of debt liability under general partnership rules, and I believe a general partnership is what we have here.
Well, in that case the club should have notified him if the other owner was not available. It is a bit rich for the club to have someone present who could settle the bill and then moan about having an unpaid bill.

Now, if they presented the bill to him as the co-owner and he refused to settle it then that is a different matter.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 07:12   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar34 View Post
... The OP is an associate member. I assume full and pledged members enjoy more privileges and status than a mere associate. From what I read, there is no mention as to whether an associate members, after a trial period, must be voted by membership into the club as an unabridged member ...
The OP stated that full membership requires residence in that town. He is not resident, so not qualified for full membership.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 07:14   #86

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

I'm wondering what you're missing out on- yacht club in winter in Canada. I'm in frozen Wisconsin and you're north of me. If I went down to the clubs on lake Michigan I would see metric tons of ice and little else!
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 10:50   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The OP stated that full membership requires residence in that town. He is not resident, so not qualified for full membership.
Exactly. Not that it's a particularly evil thing to do, but the OP has found a way to have essentially all the physical benefits of full membership with a co-owned boat, but at a lower cost and without meeting the residency requirement. Unfortunately, his co-owner's lapse (now apparently corrected), his confronting the pres, and his own approach to work-hours has created some friction.

I personally don't blame the club. Edge cases like this, and people laying their heightened expectations at your feet are probably the worst aspects of running a volunteer club. Been there, done that. My fearless wife has been on a few boards.

Still, as long as the OP is willing to mend fences, he stands to benefit.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 11:14   #88

Strange but not unexpected in member based clubs, HOAs, and such. Some people just do not have a predisposition and social aptitude to be in position of power. In addition, the club operations seem to be disorganized ... another missing quality.

Regardless of legal/bylaw situation ... given the substantial financial security held by the club, that situation could have been resolved long time ago, conditionally perhaps, if a good will would persevere.

Just me thinks ...
Richard_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 16:01   #89

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I would never stoop so low as to join a yacht club that would have me as a member.
Old 15-02-2013, 16:55   #90

Boat: PETERSON 44
For 1700 you can join my club. You can use all nearby facilities. There is a pool just up the road and no one complains when we swim there late at night. You must be very quite. I will give you a key. No idea what it opens. You can vote anytime or just express an opinion. We can provide you a picture of your boat or any boat including a nice frame with the the yacht club insignia. We can also provide fake gps google routes with panoramic photo shopped pictures of you braving the seas or just kicking back. Sort of like owning a boat except you don't have all the headaches and aggravation.any particular boat you would like to not own can be yours sort of.

Just right us at virtual boatowner/ yachtclub. Com . Costs may be higher depending on the style and outfitting of your virtual yacht.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht