Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 15:57   #1

Boat: shopping
Yacht broker in Puget Sound area?

Has anyone had a good experience with a yacht broker in the Puget Sound area, especially in the Olympia area?

I'm sadly selling our Tollycraft and am finding the reviews indicate some dicey options. Does anyone have experience with Gig Harbor Yachts (aka Emerald or Emerald Bay)?

Thanks, as always.

Doug

Portland • Oregon • Pacific Northwest • USA
douglowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 18:25   #2

Re: Yacht broker in Puget Sound area?

I've had experience with Capital City Yacht Sales in Olympia. It's been a few years but they were always very helpful. I'm looking to buy a sailboat soon and I will probably check in with them again.
KimmiRahne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 18:57   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I would recommend Patrick Harrigan at Marine Service Center.
He's a former cruiser, honest, knowledgeable and all around good egg.
Patrick Harrigan | Marine Servicenter
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kimmie.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kimmie.
Thank you! 🤗
KimmiRahne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:48   #6

Pete Mcgonagle at Swiftsure, hard working very honest. I just bots boat with him and he gave me a better evaluation of the boat than the surveyor!
gilligansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:04   #7

Pete McGonagle at Swiftsure Yachts in Seattle is a honest, accurate. I agree he gives insights that you don't get from the surveyor.
stcroixskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:45   #8

In addition to my previous post, regarding my very bad experience with Yacht broker in Langkawi Malaysia,

I'd like our members and all the cruisers who would read this post to see my correspondents with the Boss of the broker Paul Jackson who is a president of YBC.

Dear MRS. Janet Gentry,

The purpose of My correspondents with you, from my stand of point, is to inform you
about method of extortion which have been used against me by your associates.
I'm 75 years old and I've been around the boats most of my adult life. Never, but never,
I'd come across of a boat's brokers who would behave and treat their boat buyers in a such
criminal way. I've been physically attacked by the seller of the boat, right at front of the hotel'
employees because I'd not buy his boat. Mr. Jackson and his wife had bring him to my hotel on purpose
in order to reinforce their extortion demand. Mr. Jackson new that I have to fight back to US at 10AM
on August 18. Therefore he has orange all this disgusting procedure deliberately at 2PM August 17,
knowing that I'd not have enough time to legally defend myself. He knew that I would not live this island
without being sure that I'd, at list, have most of my money living this island with me. That is why
I had to give him $1000, as he eventually reduced his demand from $4000. As to police, I'm not having
from them any information regarding this case yet. That is why I'm waiting a message from the
Malaysian embassy. By all means, I'd do everything I'd possible can to, at least, expose these two
boat's cheaters and extortionists to the all who want to be a boat buyers in the world.
Please see the RIPOFF REPORTS URL below:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ABYA-PROFESSIONAL-YACHT-BROKERS//ABYA-PROFESSIONAL-YACHT-BROKERS-amp-YBC-Paul-Jackson-yachtbroker-charterscom-By-threa-1324276

Ripoff Report | 1325068 complaints, reviews, scams, lawsuits and frauds reported, 1 results

Best regards to you,
Michael Oleynikov.
txoleyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:36   #9

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmiRahne View Post
I've had experience with Capital City Yacht Sales in Olympia. It's been a few years but they were always very helpful. I'm looking to buy a sailboat soon and I will probably check in with them again.
Not a lot of experience with them as just looked at one boat as a buyer (and didn't end up buying it), but found Garrett Polehonka at Capital City Yacht Sales to be a very pleasant, knowledgeable, no sh*t kind of person to deal with so it would at least be worth a call to him I would think.

-- Bass
Old 12-06-2017, 18:55   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Not in Olympia but Wes Koenig of San Juan Sailing in Bellingham is the best I've ever seen.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 19:36   #11

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation

Boat Brokers ----

Maybe you have far more people in the US buying boats than we do here in Australia - but the general apathy I received when enquiring about a boat in Seattle - left me wondering if in fact they wanted to sell it - or - was the broker reluctant to correspond, knowing I was prepared to fly there to have the boat surveyed, as he knew something was wrong with the boat.

Here, I would expect any broker knowing that a client was flying halfway around the world, would arrange to meet, say at the airport, or later at a pub for a beer, to get negotiations going.

When I arrived, even tho I had given him my hotel details, finally got through to his office and jokingly managed to get him to buy my mate and I a coffee from the original Starbucks.

If it had not been for the guy who looked after the boat, who certainly knew his stuff, was most helpful and was also the owner of a beautiful 65' Chris Craft Constellation which he was restoring - I would have caught the first plane home.

Think the broker made a cup of sour black coffee when we signed the papers ----

Cheers

Gbmacca
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 23:41   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

I was buying not selling but Curtis Adams was very helpful in locating boats for sale that met my requirements. He is an experienced sailor as well.

Number was 1-360-941-1465 two years ago.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 11:29   #13
Marine Service Provider

I would second the suggestion of Wes Koenig (brokerage@sanjuansailing.com) out of Bellingham. He is a great guy.

Though you might also check with John Baird (jbairdv5@msn.com) from Anderson Island. He isn't a broker himself - but is a great surveyor and would be able to recommend a broker in the Southern Sound.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 13:51   #14

Boat: Island Packet 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by stcroixskipper View Post
Pete McGonagle at Swiftsure Yachts in Seattle is a honest, accurate. I agree he gives insights that you don't get from the surveyor.
I can vouch for Pete as well. We were very impressed with his knowledge, honesty and service when we purchased our boat.

Tags
puget sound, yacht