Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 23:53   #46

Re: Will electric outboards start replacing diesel inboards?

Electric motors are great. Simple, cheap, reliable, efficient.

Feeding power to electric motors on a small boat. Complex, expensive, not reliable or efficient.

Again, if you have negligible motoring needs, they are very much viable now but if your needs are that low, you aren't going to save the planet because you burn negligible amounts of fuel.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:35   #47
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The Aussie power savings is bait and switch. They eliminated the cheaper options and then said gosh...look how cheap tesla batteries are when compared to far more expensive options that are left.
Any evidence to support this claim? It doesn't pass the sniff test.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:36   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Electric motors are great. Simple, cheap, reliable, efficient.

Feeding power to electric motors on a small boat. Complex, expensive, not reliable or efficient.

Again, if you have negligible motoring needs, they are very much viable now but if your needs are that low, you aren't going to save the planet because you burn negligible amounts of fuel.
And again, your opinion is just that, with nothing to support it.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:58   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
And again, your opinion is just that, with nothing to support it.
Are you arguing that electric motors aren't simple and reliable?

If you are arguing it's easy to supply power on a small boat it's very easy to document: Google the energy density of battery vs diesel fuel.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:03   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Any evidence to support this claim? It doesn't pass the sniff test.
I agree it smells pretty bad how the cost increases are being spun as cost reductions, ignoring the fact that they have been artificially induced.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-...o-says/8875874

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...r-hearing-told

https://www.theclimategroup.org/news...newable-energy
Old 10-01-2019, 11:24   #51

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

The use of the word will in the post title doesn’t have to mean now or even tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2019, 15:06   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Are you arguing that electric motors aren't simple and reliable?

If you are arguing it's easy to supply power on a small boat it's very easy to document: Google the energy density of battery vs diesel fuel.
We've already got a thread on this that is challenging your, and others, opinions on EP and propulsion requirements. We get it, you don't like EP/renewables.

Quote:
I agree it smells pretty bad how the cost increases are being spun as cost reductions, ignoring the fact that they have been artificially induced.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-...o-says/8875874

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...r-hearing-told

https://www.theclimategroup.org/news...newable-energy
None of those articles have a single thing to do with the Tesla battery being installed nor describes their benefits or impact on the network. Like the articles I linked, do. You're attempting to link two unrelated things to bolster your opinion on renewables.

There's no bait and switch here; that's an egregious comment that has no basis in understanding of how our electricity market works or how our conservative government has had a vacuum of policy on this issue over the last 8 years and the results of that. At worst, it's an attempt to smear Tesla and the battery based on the decisions taken by other, autonomous, companies. Companies are obliged by the Corporations Act to make profit for their shareholders. It's Government's role to regulate the market for the benefit of citizens and this is what has failed.

Companies are shutting down coal stations because renewables are now cheaper and the technologies exist to couple with renewables to meet market requirements. Unfortunately, and thanks to the Government, it's being done in a piecemeal approach without the national market in mind. This is one of many reasons why we will have a change of Government at the next Federal election in a few months.
Old 10-01-2019, 16:53   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
The use of the word will in the post title doesn’t have to mean now or even tomorrow.
Hehe, its amazing how you have to point out the obvious to some right?

I found this very interesting. Very next gen, now.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/yachts...ruising-107975
LuvSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 18:10   #54

Sorry couldnt edit my post above to insert a pic of the said vessel. Here it is

"The new D80 is as modern as a yacht gets in every aspect, from its cutting-edge styling, performance lines and build to its fully automated sailing ability – but particularly with regards to its full hybrid technology and potential to roam the globe emission-free."

Its very much like modern cars that can drive themselves. Press a button, it will trim, tack, watch out for other vessels etc. IF you want, taking auto pilot to a whole new level.

What I like is the outrageous speed, which has been toned down even;

“1.5-1.7 times the wind speed – all the time,” says Reardon

ie 36 knots speed in 24 knots true wind.
Old 10-01-2019, 18:16   #55

Boat: Colegate 26

I've said before, if I was doing a marina lake boat it would absolutely have an electric inboard. Maybe even a marina coastal boat.

But I think we're still quite a ways off from having cost effective power storage for boats that spend more than a couple nights away from a shore charger.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 18:27   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I've said before, if I was doing a marina lake boat it would absolutely have an electric inboard. Maybe even a marina coastal boat.

But I think we're still quite a ways off from having cost effective power storage for boats that spend more than a couple nights away from a shore charger.
Have a read of the above, it doesnt require charging, similar concept (completely different tech) to say a Toyota Prius.

The battery technology is the key. If thats where we are at now, 10 years from now I cant see why this wont be mainstream. As with cars it will be the petrol addicted that will hang on to fossil fuels. I love my motobike, it uses much less fuel than a car and does 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. But thats my one thrill. Electric racing cars are catching up and speed wise they are flappen fast. The E1 circuit is gaining momentum.
Old 10-01-2019, 18:27   #57

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Will we colonize Mars? Will we find cures for baldness, impotence and liberalism?
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 18:59   #58

Very interesting indeed!!

Quote: A neat part is that once the batteries are topped up, excess electrical energy will be stored as hydrogen."

It would be wonderful if you could explain to us - even in the broadest terms - just exactly what the electricity-to-hydrogen conversion process works, and just how the resultant hydrogen is to be stored.

Could you please?

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 19:08   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Very interesting indeed!!

It would be wonderful if you could explain to us - even in the broadest terms - just exactly what the electricity-to-hydrogen conversion process works, and just how the resultant hydrogen is to be stored.

TrentePieds

Do you already know and just testing me? hehe.

Thats the bit that got my attention too. I know its a 3 chambered system. Im googling when I can to understand this overflow.

Its one of the issues with power, everything is find when its topped up but on long voyage that excess from the prop gen, wind, solar etc can just got to waste, and then when you have used it all up at rest its annoying. Clearly people use more batteries, but there does seem to be other solutions on the horizon. This one Im not familiar with but sounds very interesting. I think the tech was taken from Subs.....
Old 10-01-2019, 19:13   #60

I know it uses the Deep Blue hybrid system. This is how these ferries use it

https://www.passengership.info/news/...ries_53582.htm

"A fuel cell comprises an anode, a cathode and an electrolyte membrane and functions by hydrogen being passed through the anode and oxygen through the cathode. Hydrogen molecules are split at the anode into electrons and protons, with the protons passing through the electrolyte membrane and electrons being forced through a circuit, generating a current and excess heat. Protons, electrons and oxygen combine at the cathode to produce water molecules. The technology allows hydrogen to be directly converted to power with zero emissions."

Tags
diesel, electric, outboard