Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2011, 11:04   #76

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Why Won't Some of You Lurkers Come into the Light ?

Australianinmex... how did you land in PV? If you sailed there, you might have a good start on the requisite experience needed for a safe and successful offshore passage. We all have to start sailing somewhere and the PV, Maxatlan, Barre Navidad area is filled with cruisers who need help getting from one point to the next.
Additionally, you will find a fairly good selection of vessels for sale at reasonable prices that are owned by disenchanted folks who made the one way trip from the US and don't have the crew, funds, or desire to keep going. San Carlos, north of Mazatlan, has a particularly good inventory of such vessels on the hard and berthed there.
A few months after the Baja-Ha-Ha arrives in Mexico in November, a few decide to keep going on the milk run across the Pacific for a year or so in the south Pacific.
You might consider dropping up to San Diego for the pre-cruise festivities in mid October to scope out the fleet and pick up a berth headed south.
Additionally, I believe Latitude 38, a west coast sailing magazine based in San Francisco, has a crew list section that you might be able to pick up a ride through to Mexico and beyond.
Welcome and good luck... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 03:19   #77

Boat: FP Bahia 46 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
BOO....!!
Thats better... a little volume needed mate.....

Sailor g.... Welcome to CF... about time you got outa that closet... we were getting worried......
Yikes ! I have been a lurker for the last couple of years, finding this forum very informative - at least I now know not to mention guns !

Must admit that I have found the mono vs multi debates useful and sometimes entertaining as I am contemplating making the jump (just completed a 2 week charter in an FP Belize in the Virgin Islands). I am not a very experienced sailor, but hope I can contribute.
Catnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 04:01   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairweatherTony View Post
Yikes ! I have been a lurker for the last couple of years, finding this forum very informative - at least I now know not to mention guns !

Must admit that I have found the mono vs multi debates useful and sometimes entertaining as I am contemplating making the jump (just completed a 2 week charter in an FP Belize in the Virgin Islands). I am not a very experienced sailor, but hope I can contribute.
Welcome to CF, Tony! You will find plenty to contribute to the discussions! A good question is sometimes more valuable than a good answer!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 04:04   #79

Boat: SAGA 27 AK

I had a friend who owned a lurcher, great dog, but it kept drinking my beer every time I turned my back.
pillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 04:15   #80
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why Won't Some of You Lurkers Come into the Light ?

Hi Fairweather.... glad you followed sailor g outa the closet... tho' the mind boggles on what you two were up to in there....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 06:14   #81

Boat: FP Bahia 46 catamaran
Lightbulb Re: Why Won't Some of You Lurkers Come into the Light ?

Thanks Boatman. It was a big closet, lots of us timid ones in there ! But totally dark in side - realised that I was just fiddling with myself. Decided to come into the light ......
Catnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 06:16   #82

Boat: CT 54

hi i've been a sort of lurker for years .... but i get great feedback from my buddy who is on here 24/7 so I can lurk all the time.
Deck Scrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 05:43   #83

Boat: nothing yet!

OK, in spite of your challenging, nearly belligerent tone, I WILL post something:
I have this dream to work on a deep-water oil-rig and live on my catamaran. So instead of flying to some country every 30 days, I would just drive my little motorboat back out to my cat.
Can I anchor my boat wherever I want in international water?
How DO you anchor a boat in 6000 feet of water? I am thinking of a 40 to 50-foot catamaran, set up as a liveaboard cruiser. I intend to spend several years following in the footsteps (?) of the great Polynesian navigators of centuries past... and this oil-rig idea goes along with that...
What is the smallest catamaran that one man could live on and sail on the open ocean? What is the largest catamaran that one man could sail by himself? What other considerations come to mind from this idea? Am I crazy? Thanks, EJ
ejdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 06:39   #84

Hi all am just starting of with sailing have worked in the fishing industry for the past 10 years mostly deepsea.I plan on sailing uk to oz in about 5 years time once I have a lot more sailing knowledge.sorry I have been hiding in the shadows.
elderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 12:32   #85

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Welcome Eldorado!
meburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 13:04   #86
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

good to see lurkers coming out of the shadows and into the sun!! meburma-- ye best be rejoining my boat soon-- we miss ye--yer good folks....this is a particularly good place to be-- cheapo foods and some security in this club nautico place--- not many yotties in htis part of the world...mebbe in marina mazatlan , but here is cheeeepo....unless ye want ice or diesel or water to drink or half and half for coffee..LOL
havent found the restaurants as yet-- will next month.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 13:29   #87

Boat: Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejdarling View Post
OK, in spite of your challenging, nearly belligerent tone, I WILL post something:
I have this dream to work on a deep-water oil-rig and live on my catamaran. So instead of flying to some country every 30 days, I would just drive my little motorboat back out to my cat.
Can I anchor my boat wherever I want in international water?
How DO you anchor a boat in 6000 feet of water? I am thinking of a 40 to 50-foot catamaran, set up as a liveaboard cruiser. I intend to spend several years following in the footsteps (?) of the great Polynesian navigators of centuries past... and this oil-rig idea goes along with that...
What is the smallest catamaran that one man could live on and sail on the open ocean? What is the largest catamaran that one man could sail by himself? What other considerations come to mind from this idea? Am I crazy? Thanks, EJ
Welcome.

I have no idea of the answer to your question but conventional wisdom would. Suggest that a 40 - 50 ft cat would be reduced to about 8 ft of living area (and about an inch of freeboard) for the passage out and back with the amount of anchor chain needed.

Maybe (and like I confessed I have no idea) you could get one of the companies that set up oil rigs to set up your mooring apparatus but then I don't know about the regs, cost, or pleasantness of being out there.

Anyway

I have no idea but welcome!

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 16:53   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejdarling View Post
... How DO you anchor a boat in 6000 feet of water?
With 15,000 to 20,000 feet of chain?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 17:08   #89
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why Won't Some of You Lurkers Come into the Light ?

ROTFLMBO.... thats not serious..... is it...??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 17:26   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post

With full credit to Politicsforum.org

Lurker does not participate in normal forum discourse, but he's out there...watching, reading every message. Generally, he is quite harmless. In fact, his silence usually reflects a natural reticence rather than any sinister motives. He is content to let the other people haul the conversational freight and, if a fight breaks out he will observe quietly. Occasionally, however, some mysterious impulse drives him to de-lurk and attack. Other Warriors regard his unexpected assault as an ambush, and invariably turn on him savagely. But Lurker seldom sticks around to fight it out, rather, after a brief exchange, he slips away, never to be heard from again.
Mike Reed Illustration