Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2011, 06:45   #1
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Why Do Marinas Do this ?

I've placed this thread here for a more generalized response that I would receive in the tech forums.
A friend is frustrated about a boat repair (electrical of course) to the point she is going to sell her sailboat. Right now, the boat is in a marina that does not permit outside techs to work on a boat - although their own people cannot resolve the problem and have spent over $1000 trying, to no avail.
By what right do marinas exclude outside contractors? I'd really like to know, for my friend's sake, what is the rationale here.
Thanks all....

Wally
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 06:52   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Why do marinas do this?

She can always move to a contractors dock while they work on the boat. Rational? Money of course...greed.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 06:56   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Wally, I am sure every marina has their own reasons. It is mostly a money issue, they have a captive audience, but may also be a security and insurance issue. An uneducated installer doing electric work on a boat can spell disaster for the entire marina if a fire results. The marina can control the quality of the work if they control the experience of the tech. I don't always agree with this and being a service tech for over 35 years I have worked in a lot of marinas. I am always required to carry insurance and prove it and usually have no issues wherever I work on a regular basis. The Marinas that will not allow outside contractors are becoming fewer, but are still around. We usually will not stay at the marinas with this policy since I can't do everything on our boat. We always ask their policy up front before moving into a new marina. Some states even have regulations against this policy, but the marina can still make it difficult for someone else to work there. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 07:03   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

They do it because they can. I would never berth a boat in a marina with such restrictive policies. Also, some marinas require contractors to kick back a percentage of billings for working on boats in their marinas, an unethical practice, imo. Also ask before making a commitment on a slip.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 07:28   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Why Do Marinas Do this ?

They can do it because it's their property.
Just like you can keep people of your land..

Plus they may have certain insurance requirments, plus they are in business to make money. Doesn't make sense they wouldn;t allow outside techs when their techs can;t fix the problem..

Anybody at the marina on weekends???
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 07:48   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

money.
more money.
greed.
contracts with workers.
money
greed
in many cases one is able to make a special exception with marine on use of special --LICENSED workers to do the work.
these workers need BUSINESS LICENSE, INSURANCE, AND CERTIFICATIONS TO PRESENT TO THE MARINA.
goood luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 09:02   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
I've placed this thread here for a more generalized response that I would receive in the tech forums.
A friend is frustrated about a boat repair (electrical of course) to the point she is going to sell her sailboat. Right now, the boat is in a marina that does not permit outside techs to work on a boat - although their own people cannot resolve the problem and have spent over $1000 trying, to no avail.
By what right do marinas exclude outside contractors? I'd really like to know, for my friend's sake, what is the rationale here.
Thanks all....

Wally
Weird. I have heard of boatyards doing so, but never of marinas!

Just get the right guy, sign them up as a CREW and off they go sorting off the problem. That's the deal I have with some owners for whom I work.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 10:06   #8

They want their cut.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 10:10   #9

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Marinas can't stop my friends from visiting. I just have to pay certain friends to visit.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 10:28   #10

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I lived aboard in a San Diego marina for a number of years that had restrictions on who worked aboard the boat moored there. The workers were required to check in each day before heading to the dock. All workers either had the show they had liability insurance or worked for a contractor who carried insurance.
This practice was enacted after a gypsy carpet installer laid carpeting aboard a large sportfisher, neglected to vent properly resulting in an explosion and fire that destroyed 4 good sized boats (40-50 ft), two of which were used as liveaboards.
Virtually all of us who lived aboard were in favor of this check-in procedure because it protected our homes.
Additionally, there is a record of who is in the marina in the event there is theft or vandalism.
Personally, I'm in favor of controls that improve the security and safety of my home and investment provided it is applied evenhandedly and not abused or used as a form of extortion. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 10:36   #11

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I lived aboard in a San Diego marina for a number of years that had restrictions on who worked aboard the boat moored there. The workers were required to check in each day before heading to the dock. All workers either had the show they had liability insurance or worked for a contractor who carried insurance. ...
This is also the practice of my marina in Vallejo although they permitted an un-insured person to clean/wax my boat but under my personal liability.
Old 18-07-2011, 10:42   #12

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
I just have to pay certain friends to visit.
You too? I guess a few of my past shanghaiing routines have gotten around my limited circle of otherwise visiting friends.
Old 18-07-2011, 10:44   #13

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Marinas can't stop my friends from visiting. I just have to pay certain friends to visit.
Yup... there IS more then one way to skin that cat.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2011, 12:32   #14

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I am sure that this does not apply to present company, but I have had boats skedaddle while I was back at the office making up the bill.
My arrangement with the yard owner was that if I brought the work to the marina, I billed directly, and he got only the slip fee.
If he called me in, I billed him and he paid me before the boat left, presumably after paying him in full.
There is a certain CSY44 cruising in the islands, that I will own, if he stops thru here again.
Old 20-07-2011, 07:21   #15
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
pirate Re: Why Do Marinas Do this ?

So - it would seem to be greed, with some rationale applied to justify it. My point is, this woman has spent over $1000 to have the marina fix an electrical problem - and it ain't fixed because their people seem not to have the know how.
So - how does she get this done? She's not (no disrespect intended) the type to invite certain 'friends' aboard. Besides, few of her friends carry toolboxes...
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas