Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2011, 07:35   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Why Do Marinas Do this ?

Log the electrician on as crew. Have him sign the log.

(Another good reason to keep a regular log.)
Old 20-07-2011, 07:45   #17

Boat: private yacht always moving

There is a certain CSY44 cruising in the islands, that I will own, if he stops thru here again. You can have him arrested anywhere just need to know were he is,,,,,,islands in caribbean or 3d world country is OK,,on florida wine broker had a cruise ship arrested in canada when it was full of passengers,,,he had tried to resolve the dispute for over 1 year,,,,,he waited till they were in canada had the US marshals seize the ship,,,cruise company had to fly everyone home and still pay the bill to the guy,,,,got costly for them,,still laughing at the arrogance of the company,,,cost them plenty,,,the bill was for about 35k worth of wine,,,,
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 07:50   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It's all about liability and our litigious society. These are the seeds we have sewn and this is one of the consequences. If the contractor stubbs his toes on a cleat or falls into the water then he might sue the marina and just might win the court case.

I don't fault marina owners for wanting to minimize their insurance premiums by requiring commercial operators to provide their own insurance for a few million dollars that lists the marina owner as additionally insured. Either that or people need to stop with all the frivolous lawsuits and that is not going to happen.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 07:55   #19

one yard for a mega yacht charges 20 percent of the contractors bill if you use outside contractors,,,the way around that was to say that the project had been started at another time and they are just finishing it due to parts could not come in sooner
Old 20-07-2011, 08:12   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
the way around that was to say that the project had been started at another time and they are just finishing it due to parts could not come in sooner
So, dishonesty trumps greed?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 08:20   #21

of course you are right,,,just because my boss has money we should bend over for the marina,,,,when your yard bill is over 1 million dollars and the marina wants more just because they could not do the job or were WAY over the top on the price we should just say OF COURSE we will pay your price,,,,that aint gonna happen,,maybe with your money and if that is the case i can send you the next yard bill,,,, so explain how that is dishonest saying we started a job in another place because it is 15 thousands dollars cheaper to do so for the same work because the marina thinks they have a captive job,,,,,,15 grand is still 15 grand,,,please explain why we should have to pay that much more just because the marina says so,,then again the marina never lied on the bill that they gave us,,,it was cheaper to hire someone just to watch when the marina guys came and went,,,it was funny seeing the face of the manager when i could show him documented proof of when they were there and not there
Old 20-07-2011, 08:32   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
please explain why we should have to pay that much more just because the marina says so
Maybe because the owner had the choice to dock his boat at that marina or not.

Did the owner sign a contract?

He could have moved the boat to a contractor's yard to have the work done.

We all make choices. Whether we care to make dishonest choices and then justify them in some manner is up to each of us.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 08:46   #23

of course you are correct we could have moved 600 miles away to another that could do the work,,,every hear of OVER pricing just because you can is that not dishonest,,,I used to work on a private yacht for the owner of a pharmaceutical company that had a 106 foot yacht and a 164 foot yacht along with the 2 private jets,,,he was looking at a 200 foot yacht to purchase,,,was having lunch with a couple of lobbyist and congressman trying to get the price of certain medicines higher and trying to get the laws changed so that americans could not order from pharmacies overseas and canada,,,,he joked that he needed more money to buy a bigger yacht,,,I guess with your thinking the americans that needed the medicine could always move to a different country just because the owner of the pharmaceutical company was trying to create and did create a captive audience,,,guess we can tell all those that can not afford the drugs to go to another country and the ones that can afford them can stay,,,is that not called a dictatorship or price gouging ,,,but then again maybe we should pay what someone else always says is the price no matter what,,no offense meant but when you get older and are on several drugs to save your life just think of my ex boss on his 200 foot yacht that you helped buy and support,,,but then again if you cannot afford it you can always move, by then he will probably have a 300 foot yacht or maybe 400 foot yacht
Old 20-07-2011, 08:56   #24

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus

Now I'm very cruious about the nature of this problem. I've worked as a marine electronics tech for 10 years and never come across a problem that couldn't be solved either by repairing, rebuilding or replacing faulty systems. Even if the equipment is beyond repair and needs replacing, the tech should have come to that conclusion about $700 ago. So, what problem does she have?

/Hampus
Old 20-07-2011, 09:10   #25

incompetent people to start with,,if you have a good tech you can diagnose the problem,,,,if not they keep trying things and running up the bill,,,as a tech you probably take pride in doing the job right the first time and for a fair price not everyone is like that and never will be,,,look at how many car repair places there are and how much they differ in price and how many know what they are doing,never time do do it right but always time to do it over
Old 20-07-2011, 09:15   #26

Boat: Grampian 26

I think she needs to collect her paid receipts and head off to small claims court and sue the yard as they have not done what she paid for nor what was contracted to be done.
then hire an outside tech to do the job and claim the difference back from the marina.
knottygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 09:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
This is also the practice of my marina in Vallejo although they permitted an un-insured person to clean/wax my boat but under my personal liability.
Wow. When did you find out???
GreenOnions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 09:21   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
so explain how that is dishonest...
When you tell people something that you know is not true, that is the very definition of "dishonest." Justify it anyway you want, tell yourself that because they were dishonest it's okay for you to be dishonest (just don't expect everyone else to agree), but don't kid yourself. Lying is dishonest. Period.

Sorry to put it so bluntly, and not trying to tell you what you should do, but that's how it is.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 09:22   #29

might move the boat for a day and have a tech come and look at system, get estimate then go to marine office with everything in hand,,,,most likely they will work something out if everything is in hand and fair,,,might not get any money back but most likely get free dockage for the amount owed,,
Old 20-07-2011, 09:47   #30

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Actually most marinas do this because they are bound by contract. Any onsite repair shop or vender generally has it in his lease agreement that he has sole right to do repairs or sell merchandise on site. Given the high rent that is paid by them they demand it as part of the lease. I used to work for Port Credit Marina. They also have prohibitions against outside workers, unless they pay the Marina an hourly fee. (at least they used to when I was there, it may have changed by now) and the fee went to the onsite shop.

We used to get around it by having the outside worker come aboard with nothing in his hands but a case of beer. (tools inside). All the stuff he needed was carried aboard by the owner the night before by arrangement. After the job was done we'd feed the guy some beer and lunch in the cockpit.

EDIT I should add that my boat was based there at the time. Ergo me trying to get around it. Charging $15 an hour for an outside worker while paying me $8.50 an hour sucked.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas