Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 15:42   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Why aren't there cruising report threads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
I've been married also...too many times. Now I am ashamed! Make that two curries!
Now you are getting it. We all have pet subjects, have bad days and somedays for reasons other than what happens on the CF we let loose....... Ive done it. That makes me ashamed. Seriously though....... hang around a bit if you want to see something that should make us ashamed.......

Stu is a good guy. Most people on here are ok except for the arses, and we all take turns at that.

Welcome aboard. Lighten up and Im getting a Beef Madras.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 15:49   #47

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
You didn't upset the status quo. You got upset because people told you what the status quo is and what it takes to change it.
I'm not upset, just trying to get it all sorted. And I don't want to change anything, just see if I fit in.

Seem to be a lot of really sensitive types here...or maybe it's me??

Just not used to "snarky" answers to simple questions...if I get tired of dealing with certain things, I just stop before I get nasty. Is that so bad?
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 15:53   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Now you are getting it. We all have pet subjects, have bad days and somedays for reasons other than what happens on the CF we let loose....... Ive done it. That makes me ashamed. Seriously though....... hang around a bit if you want to see something that should make us ashamed.......

Stu is a good guy. Most people on here are ok except for the arses, and we all take turns at that.

Welcome aboard. Lighten up and Im getting a Beef Madras.
Cool, maybe I found the right place after all...I never get grouchy :]
Old 19-11-2015, 15:57   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
I never get grouchy :]
we can cure you of that.........

I watch a few Youtube sailing channels and find them very informative. A lot of fun to be seen, and some nice boats. Ive followed one middle age couple sail in a Westerly Centaur from the UK to Greece and back again........now thats cool.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 16:04   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Hi Newhaul,

Active Captain opened up reviews/ratings for all manner of services in July 2015. Their goal is the same as what you stated.

Here is the link to their newsletter announcing this service.

Right now it is located under their eboatcards.com site- which the intend to merge with the main activecaptain.com site in the future.

In case this is of interest.

Cheers!

Bill
Bill thanks for that link
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 16:04   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
we can cure you of that.........

I watch a few Youtube sailing channels and find them very informative. A lot of fun to be seen, and some nice boats. Ive followed one middle age couple sail in a Westerly Centaur from the UK to Greece and back again........now thats cool.
You're right...I have been following a couple on a 27' Vega up in Alaska, and to Hawaii etc. They are so laid back and having so much fun on their little Vega it makes me wonder why I don't appreciate my life more. They make my life look like so much fun...wonder what I am missing? LOL!

Thanks for the positive!
Old 19-11-2015, 16:16   #52

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Consider this one.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...as-145445.html
Old 19-11-2015, 16:21   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Thanks, will do...anything with "old man" in it gets my attention these days.
Old 19-11-2015, 16:39   #54

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I looked for but could not find a thread about a fellow sailing down the west coast of Florida. It was a true comedy of errors by a man on a mission.
Old 19-11-2015, 17:05   #55

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

FWIW, mainstream pundits largely agree: You can't say ANYTHING which might, somehow, rub someone the wrong way...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...0ec_story.html
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 18:05   #56
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

My father in law says I am a Curmudgeon.

Feels good to be defined.

What's a blog?
Old 19-11-2015, 19:21   #57

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsailor View Post
A little while ago there was a posting about the need for some more civility or politeness on this forum....I think Stu Jackson's comments are WAY over the top and is exactly what the previous forum was trying to address ---I'm sure that Stu's reply to the original poster will do little to encourage him or others to make suggestions or contribute ---Stu's response is why my wife says this forum is inhabited by way too many 'grumpy old men' ---I don't know how old Stu is but I suggest that he should try and tone it down a bit and try to not be so 'grumpy'
Oh and by the way ---I've got nothing personal against Stu...its just that if we don't call people out on things like this then it won't get any better (PS: other people's comments/suggestions were very helpful and to the point)
I agree. Perhaps it's the weather? He's being a real "Debbie Downer"
[No offense Debbie]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I personally think it's a good idea and I would read it. Others who don't care for it, quite simply don't have to look at it.
It's a great idea Perhaps the concept is not coming across precisely. Suppose we call/label it in the title "Trip Report" example: Trip Report - My Chesapeake Cruise.

It probably should be posted under the "Destinations" sub-forum. Easy to search, just search "Trip Report". Or make it a sub-sub-thread in the "Destinations" sub-forum. This is already a common sub-Thread in travel forums. Such as Traveltalkonline: Viewing list of forums

There's so many more people participating here than in the the site I used as an example. Also, this site has members world wide, not just the Caribbean. I don't want to write a blog and I don't always want to spend a great deal of time reading and following, or searching blogs. But a nice little condensed story, and yes, with with pictures makes a great post.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 19:23   #58

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsailor View Post
A little while ago there was a posting about the need for some more civility or politeness on this forum....I think Stu Jackson's comments are WAY over the top and is exactly what the previous forum was trying to address ---I'm sure that Stu's reply to the original poster will do little to encourage him or others to make suggestions or contribute ---Stu's response is why my wife says this forum is inhabited by way too many 'grumpy old men' ---I don't know how old Stu is but I suggest that he should try and tone it down a bit and try to not be so 'grumpy'
Oh and by the way ---I've got nothing personal against Stu...its just that if we don't call people out on things like this then it won't get any better (PS: other people's comments/suggestions were very helpful and to the point)
I agree. Perhaps it's the weather? He's being a real "Debbie Downer"
[No offense Debbie]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I personally think it's a good idea and I would read it. Others who don't care for it, quite simply don't have to look at it.
It's a great idea Perhaps the concept is not coming across precisely. Suppose we call/label it in the title "Trip Report" example: Trip Report - My Chesapeake Cruise.

It probably should be posted under the "Destinations" sub-forum. Easy to search, just search "Trip Report". Or make it a sub-sub-thread in the "Destinations" sub-forum. This is already a common sub-Thread in travel forums. Such as Traveltalkonline: Viewing list of forums

There's so many more people participating here than in the the site I used as an example. Also, this site has members world wide, not just the Caribbean. I don't want to write a blog and I don't always want to spend a great deal of time reading and following, or searching blogs. But a nice little condensed story, and yes, with pictures makes a great post.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 19:56   #59

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

IF... (IF....) I FOUND HERE A SECTION by country/harbour with selected places of interest, by each harbour...

e.g. electrician/mechanics/Chandler
Rigger
Restaurants of choice
Local specialties
Sail maker, or sewer...

Usually during a cruise sailors stop for 2-3 days, wasting time or missing the best a place can offer.
I have to rely on the dock's word of mouth
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 21:04   #60

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I follow one blog... but only when he is fixing stuff.. ( sistership)...

I have looked at a number over the years ( but never inhaled .. honest )... it amazes me how some find the time to write so much... I'm scratching to find enough time in the day to simply eat and sleep..

I guess some are speed typists.... since that sad day on the Rio Pongo when the croc took most of mine I've been stuck with two fingered typing.... even picking my nose is a challenge these days....

Re The Thunderbird's post... maybe we need a 'destinations' sub header under the 'life on board' bit....

Noonsite tries to do it but I find it is a bit sad and often unreliable and lacking in detail... I'm sure we... us lot... could do better.

Weavis... I'm going out for some 'english'... I don't care how bland they try and make it... I can handle it.

Just kidding... put me down for a #9 Vindaloo

Tags
cruising