Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2017, 09:03   #16

Re: Why are there few high-weight Cruiser Folk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Another reason you see few high weight cruisers is it's difficult to get on and off monohulls, dinghies, up docks. Lug Gerry cans etc.
They may tend to cruise for shorter periods than others.

I agree with comments on boat motion.

Food is an interesting one... Many still conform to government food guidelines where most recent research (except that funded by coke and food manufacturers) shows carbs are not as good as previously thought and meat and fat are better than previously thought.

Read up, it's all on the internet. Links to quality research on www.dietdoctor.com

Mark

Good points. A good friend one said: If you eat the food pyramid you'll look like the food pyramid.
TonyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 09:09   #17

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

two things I have noticed is when sailing I drink a lot of water. And I don't feel like eating as much. Water might have something to do with it but I am sure I sweat most of it out during the day and am replenishing what I lose.
Old 13-01-2017, 09:34   #18

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

May be the other way round, because being overweight may make sailing more difficult then less people with that body shape choose to do it! Being overweight however is a function of lifestyle so if you change your lifestyle you change the mix that causes you to be overweight. If you are happier and less stressed afloat chances are you will find less need to 'comfort eat'. There is also the point that processed food may be less available (depending on where and how you cruise) and it is industrial processed food that seems to be the other major culprit in the obesity crisis in the US. If you think about it the typical American has a high stress life with little time to do leisure activities, poor medical care and a food culture dominated by high calorie processed food. Not surprising you have the worst statistics in the developed world! So sailing may save your life as well as your sanity!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 09:35   #19

Boat: Bayliner 3870

I'm a "boredom eater"

When I go out sailing I'm occupied with what I'm doing and tend to eat very little. . .I also eat less and drink more when it is hot out. When I tie back up and have the AC running, I start to pick. . .and since I live aboard, and spend a lot of time tied up, I pick a lot
CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 09:36   #20

Boat: Grampian 26

How about the Skipper?
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 10:02   #21

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
MarkJ

Another reason you see few high weight cruisers is it's difficult to get on and off monohulls, dinghies, up docks. Lug Gerry cans etc.
They may tend to cruise for shorter periods than others.

I agree with comments on boat motion.

Food is an interesting one... Many still conform to government food guidelines where most recent research (except that funded by coke and food manufacturers) shows carbs are not as good as previously thought and meat and fat are better than previously thought.

Read up, it's all on the internet. Links to quality research on www.dietdoctor.com
Mark
Agreed

Quote:
roland stockham

May be the other way round, because being overweight may make sailing more difficult then less people with that body shape choose to do it! Being overweight however is a function of lifestyle so if you change your lifestyle you change the mix that causes you to be overweight. If you are happier and less stressed afloat chances are you will find less need to 'comfort eat'. There is also the point that processed food may be less available (depending on where and how you cruise) and it is industrial processed food that seems to be the other major culprit in the obesity crisis in the US. If you think about it the typical American has a high stress life with little time to do leisure activities, poor medical care and a food culture dominated by high calorie processed food. Not surprising you have the worst statistics in the developed world! So sailing may save your life as well as your sanity!
We have seen the enemy, and he is us.
Old 13-01-2017, 10:03   #22

HA HA. Love the Gilligan's Island picture. Comment in this thread about being unable to turn back the aging clock. I am reading 'Younger Next Year', which claims you can do exactly that. How? Diet & Exercise.
SoCalGlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 10:11   #23

Boat: Nauticat 32

Getting rid of electric winches and windlasses could sometimes make sense.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 10:17   #24

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Unfortunately, I always regain the weight within a year, returning to my stable landlubber weight. Would that be called "landblubber"?
That's funny!

I read something a couple years ago about this, and I seem to remember that most people lost a little weight, some stayed the same, and a few (I seem to remember 15%) actually gained weight while cruising. My wife and I lose weight and we attribute this to the increased activity, especially walking.

Unless red wine causes weight loss, then that would explain it.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 10:23   #25

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I took a powerboat around the Great Loop and gained 20 lbs over two seasons. Same amount of walking/bicycling/working as on the sailboat, but we were on inland waters without the motion and the sailhandling.

I blame most of it on the Karwatha ice cream--irresistable.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 10:48   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i fluctuate---lighter when i am actively cruising, summer weight is more as summer is storm season and repair season, between named storms.
it is difficult to eat enough to become a beachball unlesss omeone you know an d who you know also as a wonderful cook bakes an 11 inch banana cream pie ---- hell they GROW 'nanners here-- so bake away mama-- wooohoooo.. so i yeah i gained a bit of weight-(she also makes gingerbread.. haha ha )- is quickly lost once i determine i need to use buses instead of taxis and save dough for haulout..hahaha and cat food for the finicky one that rules my boat, which causes a great increase in activity. furball is changing his eating habits in his older age.
mebbe i can teach him to ride in the rowing dink.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 11:27   #27

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I am old and overweight. When I live on the boat I lose weight. Eat crab, prawns & fish. Pull pots everyday. Drop about 20lbs when sailing for long periods. Even when young was in much better shape when living onboard.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 11:54   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post

Unless red wine causes weight loss, then that would explain it.

Cheers!

Steve
Ummmm, yes, Steve, that's right. Red wine can cause weight loss. It is also being investigated as a reason for the "French Paradox" that French have a very highly saturated fat diet but very low heart disease rate. They are also thinking stinky French cheese and fermented vegetables.
If you only eat chocolate, brie and a sauerkraut washed down with bottles of plonk you'd be skinny and live to 100! Well, that would be nice

But, yeah, if you were a big beer drinker and switched to red wine you could see the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carbs-in-wine-and-alcoholic-drinks.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	139587  
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 12:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Ummmm, yes, Steve, that's right. Red wine can cause weight loss. It is also being investigated as a reason for the "French Paradox" that French have a very highly saturated fat diet but very low heart disease rate. They are also thinking stinky French cheese and fermented vegetables.
If you only eat chocolate, brie and a sauerkraut washed down with bottles of plonk you'd be skinny and live to 100! Well, that would be nice

But, yeah, if you were a big beer drinker and switched to red wine you could see the difference.
I heard once (50 years ago) that the human body would survive and thrive on a diet of grapefruit and beer. I'm sure it would provide rapid weight loss. Sounds like a hell of a mess to me. LOL
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 12:03   #30

Boat: GibSea 472

Once a year I use th invite some workers from my office for a day on the water on my sailboat. Young men and women, in apparent good shape, ready to daysail and have fun. I noticed that after a good sail , returning to port in the evening, they were all really quite and almost vanned. It sounded strange to see them in such tired state. After looking at sailing videos, I understood: We never stop moving in a sailboat. Waves, wind, boat motion is taxing our strength, at a surprising level.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser