Whole lotta "nope!" in this video...

No.
Nada.
Nope.
No way.
Not even.

TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 02:26   #2

Re: Whole lotta "nope!" in this video...

...and apparently this guy has some sort of super power, or death wish - I haven't figured out which yet.

But still, NOPE!

Old 31-08-2016, 02:43   #3
cruiser

I don't see a problem being out in those conditions, we've been there done that on several occasions. Really it's not a big deal, infact I'd go as far as recommending that people should be able to feel comfortable sailing or motoring when the wind and waves pick up.

Get out practice and work your way up. It's foolish to assume everyday on the water will be sunny and nice with perfect conditions.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 02:55   #4

I only have an 18' bow rider boat right now, and I'm confident that if a storm arises out of no where, I can get it out of the choppy bay waters and into protected waters quickly.

But 50mph winds and 15' sea's? I'll go around that... or stay at the dock.
Old 31-08-2016, 03:00   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I only have an 18' bow rider boat right now, and I'm confident that if a storm arises out of no where, I can get it out of the choppy bay waters and into protected waters quickly.

Apparently, you're looking at upgrading to a fifty footer which can certainly handle 50 knots and 15ft waves. You can't always count on sailing around those conditions.

I encourage you to learn more about storm tactics and build up some confidence.

Here's a video of us with a steady 40 knots blowing from behind us and the occasional 15ft wave sets passing by. If a girl can do it.......

Old 31-08-2016, 03:02   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I don't see a problem being out in those conditions, we've been there done that on several occasions. Really it's not a big deal, infact I'd go as far as recommending that people should be able to feel comfortable sailing or motoring when the wind and waves pick up.

Get out practice and work your way up. It's foolish to assume everyday on the water will be sunny and nice with perfect conditions.
You got that right!
Anyone going more than a hour or two from home should intentionally take their boat out in snotty conditions for a bit. You will soon learn that the boat can usually stand more than the crew.
By doing this for short periods,you will gain confidence & be better prepared for when you are caught.
I recommend motoring at first,to keep things simple. Then gradually work your way up.
Len
Old 31-08-2016, 03:06   #7

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I could only think of "put the phone down and hold on with BOTH hands.

https://youtu.be/mVabYHvD3vc
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 03:09   #8

Quote:
Apparently, you're looking at upgrading to a fifty footer which can certainly handle 50 knots and 15ft waves. You can't always count on sailing around those conditions.

I encourage you to learn more about storm tactics and build up some confidence.

I've got a LOT of learning to do. Sailing through weather is only the tip of the iceberg for me at this point.

I've been watching all these sailing vessels and their blogs, and this was the first time I've looked up "motor yacht in rough seas". And I got stuck in the proverbial youtube rabbit hole.

i'm sure you can't always predict the weather, but I'd sure work damn hard at it to avoid these conditions.
Old 31-08-2016, 03:12   #9

Quote:

Here's a video of us with a steady 40 knots blowing from behind us and the occasional 15ft wave sets passing by. If a girl can do it.......

Why do your conditions look less severe? you've got nearly the same size swells and wind and it doesn't look so "Perfect Storm"ish.

I wouldn't be scared to be behind the helm in your video.
Old 31-08-2016, 03:19   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Why do your conditions look less severe? you've got nearly the same size swells and wind and it doesn't look so "Perfect Storm"ish.

I wouldn't be scared to be behind the helm in your video.
Try this video instead: It's us in 40-49 knots with up to 20ft seas. Not all European countries are able to watch the video due to copywrite. Enjoy the ride!

Old 31-08-2016, 03:25   #11

Quote:
Try this video instead: It's us in 40-49 knots with up to 20ft seas. Not all European countries are able to watch the video due to copywrite.

That doesn't even look as ominous as the Hatteras video I posted. I'm sure I'd be white knuckling the steering wheel, but I'd be up for trying it.

The only thing that scares me is taking the waves from the side like you were doing. I've been wanting to ask this question but felt like it was stupid to ask until I learned a little more.

Why didn't those large waves throw you over sideways? I thought taking waves from either side was more dangerous and increases the chances of capsizing.
Old 31-08-2016, 03:30   #12
cruiser

Quote:
That doesn't even look as ominous as the Hatteras video I posted. I'm sure I'd be white knuckling the steering wheel, but I'd be up for trying it.

The only thing that scares me is taking the waves from the side like you were doing. I've been wanting to ask this question but felt like it was stupid to ask until I learned a little more.

Why didn't those large waves throw you over sideways? I thought taking waves from either side was more dangerous and increases the chances of capsizing.
The real world is much different than a Hollyweird movie where the waves always come crashing down upon the boat. In real life, the boat rides up over the waves, and the heavier the boat the less effected it is by any slamming into the waves.

Here's an example of a sailboat caught in more severe weather, watch how the boat rides up over the waves. Another issue which comes into play is perception. We watch these videos basically with a one or two dimensional thought process, whereas the person steering the boat sees his or her suroundings in three dimensions and responds in a three dimensional thought process.

An example would be your fellow in the small boat going through the surf, he was probably more focussed on the succesive sets of waves and the angle at which to take each one. He probably never felt the boat riding up and down each wave, to him the view was actually more level as the boat rode up and down each wave.

Old 31-08-2016, 04:11   #13

Quote:

I wouldn't recommend challenging that much stuff in a bow rider. The boats in the vids are completely or mostly decked over. If a sea came aboard it would run out thru deck scuppers quickly. A bow rider or other type of open boat would take on so much more water & consequently,hold it aboard longer & this causes a stability problem. Sloshing water in a "container" is a powerful force.
Old 31-08-2016, 14:22   #14

You might find this series interesting

Old 31-08-2016, 15:00   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Been there done that. Many years ago I thought it was fun. Now I just open a good book and wait.