Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 06:40   #16
SKI

Boat: none yet
Re: Who has TIME to serious offshore cruising?

I am certainly in no place to comment on this but i'm going to throw my 2 cents in. Does one need money to survive... absolutely. However the amount of money is totally within your control. I think it comes down to what is more important to you. If fancy dinners out and a giant boat are important then you should have it. But the sacrifice is maybe waiting longer to go or not going as long. Where as if you can make do with less you can go quicker and for longer. You have more control over what your going to do tommorrow that what you did yesterday. I never want to look back and say boy i wish i would have...... I want to look back and say boy did i enjoy that.
SKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 06:42   #17

Boat: Maine Cat 41
It's really a matter of priorities. Ultimately, folks DO what they really WANT to do. Many of us dream of sailing off. Many don't really want to if it 'costs' them their current lifestyle... car, house, lattes, golf course, etc etc. As for 'starting over' at 48 or 58 or 68, well, sure, you won't have your nice house almost paid off nor a large 401k account but then, you probably didn't have that at 28 or 34 either. You survived and probably enjoyed your life then as well. You will again too, but you will have the knowledge that you've done what you wanted to do.

I retired early, would have had to live off the small 401k for a few years to actually go off over the horizon. But the Admiral kept her business, we live on half as much money but get to cruise within 500 miles of home base for half the year as long as I keep here within reasonable touch of phone and internet periodically. Perfect? close, but it's a long leash, so I'm not complaining. With the economy the way it is, I've told her that if business goes away, so do we.

Btw, for those thinking about their retirement accounts, consider this. If you bust into it to support your cruising habit for a while, what will it 'cost' you? If the market crashes, your million buck becomes half a million. Take a hundred out for a boat and if the market crashed you'll only be 'down' $50k. If the market doubles, you'll be back up and above your original amount. Worth it, I'd say.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 06:42   #18

Worked my butt off in my younger years including 19 years on a midnight shift. You don't have much social life working overnights so you don't spend a lot of money. I was able to walk away from full time work at 45 but, I still do some freelance work to help pay bills and pay for the costs of maintaining the boat.
Though cruising plans have changed over the years. Sailing across oceans on a small sailing boat does not hold the allure it had on me when I was younger. Perhaps my trip on the QE2 may have had something to do with that. Though lately I'm thinking about heading out into the ocean out of sight of land for a day or two maybe three. My gal and I have also chartered boats in many areas of the world where I would have liked to go with my boat such as the Bahamas, BVIs, Belize, Maldives, South Pacific etc... So I have had a taste of those areas more times than once in many cases. I've also run into some cruisers who have left those areas because they got tired of the difficulties involved i.e. finding fuel, water, groceries etc... Things one does not always think about when sailing off to "paradise" and of course those noseeums do not show up in the photos of the cruising magazines either. Lately, I've discovered the pleasure of cruising in my local waters and have found new places I've never been to before and anchorages that I find can be just as delightful as some of the places I've visited a thousands of miles away.
Old 23-06-2011, 06:44   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Unicorn,

Obviously the fear of starting over doesn't hold you back either........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 06:50   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I agree, it's not easy, but the rewards are HUGE. You just have to make a decision on what your priority is. I was making lots of money when I sold my business. I even had the oppurtunity to expand from one shop to half a dozen over 10 years. Imagine me being 10 years older, having 12 shops, I have an even slicker & bigger cat. What good is it if a cable breaks while I am under a lift, and I am dead, or crippled? I wo0uld rather go, and be a Wal-Mart greeter than live with WHAT IF's.

Geeze, can you imagine if everyone went? The anchorages would be very crowded. They would be a raft up. Someone has to stay behind, and keep the economy running. Both choices are right if you are happy with your decision. I wasn't happy countiing money, and taking it to the bank. I felt iimprisoned, and suffocated, but that's just me. BEST WISHES in what ever decision you make. You're a pretty sharp cookie, and will do just fine, I am sure of that!........i2f
Thanks much. I have already made the decision to go, but I still have obligations for the next few years, including a teenaged son. After that, I'm outta here. It's just that some days I feel like that day will never arrive.
Old 23-06-2011, 06:50   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

I2F makes a good point about time

None of us know when the clock stops - even if we can maybe stack the odds a little bit in our favour....or at least kid ourselves that we can.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 06:54   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Thanks much. I have already made the decision to go, but I still have obligations for the next few years, including a teenaged son. After that, I'm outta here. It's just that some days I feel like that day will never arrive.
....I know what you mean. This last 11 months has been the longest in my life. Maybe as long as my life in complete, but I am here now........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:13   #23

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Lately, I've discovered the pleasure of cruising in my local waters and have found new places I've never been to before and anchorages that I find can be just as delightful as some of the places I've visited a thousands of miles away.
Difficulties of squeezing time from work has tethered me close to home also. I have tried some destinations closer to home and found then to be enjoyable. At least I got off of the dock. It was hard for a few years because of economic decline, and hurricane damage, but the marinas are mostly rebuilt now. A short drive east, I found a sandy beach, (with only a few tarballs), and warm clear waves, reachable with a long weekend.

I still want to cruise the polynesian islands, but that will have to wait a few more years.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:46   #24

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

i2f
Life is no fun without challenges.

Didn't really plan on anymore cruising once I sold Santana, then I found my Dad's p;d Gulfstar for sale. Oh well, here we go again. Nothing better to do, might as well get back out on the water.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 07:54   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

life is wak--ye dont HAVE time--you have to MAKE time. if you enjoy something, you DO it..look at i2f---listen to i2f.
btw--i2f--i LOVE yer new avvie----is good one.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:07   #26

Boat: O'Day 28
Cool Re: Who has TIME to serious offshore cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I still want to cruise the polynesian islands, but that will have to wait a few more years.
Cap -- Something I've been considering as a last gasp dream is just flying to that spot I want to be, buy a small weekender-type boat, and travel around from there; skip the hard part of weeks or months at sea, and the expense of enough boat just to get there.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 08:15   #27

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Sounds good, lets go , I'll have some time next summer.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 09:13   #28

Boat: O'Day 28
Cool Re: Who has TIME to serious offshore cruising?

I'm free ... uh ... tomorrow!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 16:32   #29

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Re hanging about for the teenager and spending long days dreaming.

Have you asked if the teen would like to go now? Might give him/her some time to breathe.

I think it was advice in "Lady Windermeer's Fan" to "kick them out of the nest before they turn on you"!

Both are options.

Fair winds.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 17:09   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

short times are why gods made running away from home.......i did it 2 times before i got my boat out of sd....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, offshore