Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2019, 16:51   #301

Re: Who are your favourite boat bloggers / vloggers?

Ran Sailing has the best video.

WhiteSpotPirates but got get that girl some food she is rail thin.

Sailing Millennial Falcon because like cute redheads.
Learning the Lines another cute redhead.

Sailing Soulianis young couple going down Mississippi heading to the Caribbean
Sailing Nervous older couple staring out sailing

Sail Life for DIY
boatworks today your fiberglass guru

The standards,
LaVagabonde
Delos
Old 25-01-2019, 07:36   #302

Boat: Islander 36

Christian Williams!

He is some kind of an 'entertaining book learned intellectual ham' that likes to sail.

Here is his video where he covers all the terminology of sailing:

smith8273 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 08:26   #303

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the only videos i can tolerate watching are of emerald steel. jules and susan used to be my neighbors in coronado, and are smart. they run a spray and have long history with it. she welded it he electrickeried it and they have been sailing and improving it many years. currently in pnw, salt spring island area.
Zee,

Emerald Steel's is the only video that i regularly check in on as well, the one where they get out all of their tools and tool boxes and talk about how each is used on the boat being my favourite.

as a couple, they are heart-warming too. lots of lasting love and respect there...

Old 25-01-2019, 09:14   #304

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Prolly meantioned already

"How to Sail Oceans" is a is a good series of engineless cruising/sailing
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:23   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSun View Post
I find it hard to log couple vlogs as I generally find I dislike one or the other.

In the case of lavagabond I cant stand either of the country bumpkins and dont feel they do enough video and sound editing to provide high quality video production to warrant other people paying for their dream lifestyle.

I like the lady of Nahoa, but I find the Husband tends to talk over her which I dont like, but I dont think he means to. But I like their semi new to it naive approach. Its refreshing.

I think if you are expecting people to fund your dream life you could put in all your down time (from having down time) making your video production as awesome as possible, especially as premiere pro and mixing software and free music is all there. I am a bit picky as I have friends who do this professionally. But still.

Can anyone recommend from the extensive list some really good high quality productions? I enjoy watching others enjoy the ocean. I giggle at first timers fishing and spearfishing etc. Mostly because they get it all wrong but end up being soooo buzzed it has to make you feel happy watching them pull in a large YT Tuna etc :-)
Check out Project Atticus. He has a degree in film productiin, and their videos show it.
Old 05-02-2019, 19:44   #306

My Favourite is Free Range Sailing currently two thirds through a circum navigation od Australia.
Great content and good production values
BluePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 21:06   #307
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePete View Post
My Favourite is Free Range Sailing currently two thirds through a circum navigation od Australia.
Great content and good production values
They are my favourite as well
They are both down to earth and knowledgeable about budget solutions and happy to share them. Great fishing tips as well!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 21:15   #308
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33

There are some really well done sailing blogs. I particularly love Sail Life and Delos. However my favorite is the gorgeously done Magic Carpet, it is the one blog I actually help support. Maya and Aldino make great team, their videos, and music are the new standard.
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 19:29   #309

Has no one checked out Sailing Nandji? I enjoy theirs the most along with Sailing Nahoa
Zencra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 17:18   #310

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

I just discovered Erik Aanderaa's channel a few days ago. Solo sailing in the North Sea. He is a balzy dude. He is fearless, but doesn't seem to be reckless or full of himself... he likes being in rough, cold seas. He's nerve-racking to watch.... out on a pitching deck, in 20ft seas with no lifelines!

I also recently found Learn by Doing. This guy is a snowboard photographer that is just now beginning a solo voyage around the world, starting from Australia. His videos are well done and his perspective is pretty fresh. It will be see this adventure unfold.

Glad to see Drake Paragon finally adding some content after about 5 months of inactivity.

Abandon Comfort, should change their name to Abandoned Channel! In their last few videos, they had sold the 35' Hallberg-Rassy and bought a 20' Falmouth Cutter... and, then stopped posting. My guess is that they figured out that a 20' boat was waaaay to minimal for their minimalist lifestyle. lol.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 19:08   #311

Emerald Steel is the 1st channel I followed. I will continue as they are wonderful people with great personalities and values and they are knowledgeable in what counts.

Erik Aandreaa for the raw drama of the elements without being dramatic. NBSJS

Skeleton Crew Sailing Their's is a profound personal mission. They rounded the Horn in December but their videos appear to be 3 months delay.

A new one for me is Kevin in How To Sail Oceans. Another gaffer but sailed solo.

Every now and then I tune into Salt & Tar. They had recently splashed the gaffer they built themselves.

Too bad Sea Change hasn't produced more. They have set the standard for film and dialog. Humorous, insightful, experienced.

Keep Turning Left is always a delight.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 22:52   #312

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Big fan of Tula, Nahoa and Doodles, but recently started watching the Wynnes and absolutely loving the episodes! Really nice couple and well thought out / shot video.

N
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 23:06   #313
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post
I also recently found Learn by Doing. This guy is a snowboard photographer that is just now beginning a solo voyage around the world, starting from Australia. His videos are well done and his perspective is pretty fresh. It will be see this adventure unfold.
He's also a pretty chill kiwi dude. I like his videos, hopefully he'll keep it up.

I've also pretty much gone off Sailing Doodles. Too much plastic on show and getting very samey while he doesn't have his own boat. He needs a refresh, IMO.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 23:10   #314
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Prolly meantioned already

"How to Sail Oceans" is a is a good series of engineless cruising/sailing
Thanks for the tip. Could learn a lot from an engineless sailing channel.

Though I wonder if all the people who slam anyone considering electric propulsion slam engineless sailors with the same fervour ... just pondering
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 23:51   #315

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

It is not about slamming, but about safety and having options when something went wrong. With a diesel engine we can move 1000+ sm under power if there is an issue with the mast, with an electric propulsion only the range is limited to maybe 30 sm and with no engine you can only try to row across the ocean.

Having an engine does not necessary means to use it all the time, but you can if you need to. A powerful engine can help you escape a lee shore or buy you more time in a gale, also helps you generate power when needed e.g. for communication in an emergency.

Therefore it is not very clever to downgrade your arsenal just for a green dream.