Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2019, 02:26   #316
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: Who are your favourite boat bloggers / vloggers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
It is not about slamming, but about safety and having options when something went wrong. With a diesel engine we can move 1000+ sm under power if there is an issue with the mast, with an electric propulsion only the range is limited to maybe 30 sm and with no engine you can only try to row across the ocean.

Having an engine does not necessary means to use it all the time, but you can if you need to. A powerful engine can help you escape a lee shore or buy you more time in a gale, also helps you generate power when needed e.g. for communication in an emergency.

Therefore it is not very clever to downgrade your arsenal just for a green dream.
Well you can have at those irresponsible sailors with no engine at all! Disgraceful!
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 03:23   #317

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
He's also a pretty chill kiwi dude. I like his videos, hopefully he'll keep it up.

I've also pretty much gone off Sailing Doodles. Too much plastic on show and getting very samey while he doesn't have his own boat. He needs a refresh, IMO.
I couldn’t agree more about Doodles! No boat, no Doodles... he is basically just trying to keep his lifestyle going. Even his girlfriend seems to have lost her spunkiness. He never even mentioned what happened to his boat. I guess he abandoned it in Puerto Rico after the hurricane... but who knows.

I am drawn more toward smaller channels that aren’t yet affected by their success. Another guy I like is Sailor James. Just a dude fixing up an old Alberg30. Raw and compelling... ymmv.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 03:27   #318

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

It really depends on the vessel and area you are sailing, with a dinghy near shore, you can perfectly sail without an engine, with a larger boat you need some power to enter ports, maneuver into a slip in windy conditions, fight a current etc.
Old 28-02-2019, 03:32   #319
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post
I couldn’t agree more about Doodles! No boat, no Doodles... he is basically just trying to keep his lifestyle going. Even his girlfriend seems to have lost her spunkiness. He never even mentioned what happened to his boat. I guess he abandoned it in Puerto Rico after the hurricane... but who knows.

I am drawn more toward smaller channels that aren’t yet affected by their success. Another guy I like is Sailor James. Just a dude fixing up an old Alberg30. Raw and compelling... ymmv.
Yeah he doesn't even really seem that into her. Or is maybe a bit embarrassed. Anyway, I haven't watched it for ages and I was a subscriber.

I'll check out Sailor James, thanks for the tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
It really depends on the vessel and area you are sailing, with a dinghy near shore, you can perfectly sail without an engine, with a larger boat you need some power to enter ports, maneuver into a slip in windy conditions, fight a current etc. [emoji3]
Well, he's not sailing a dinghy in his channel. So, he must be irresponsible!
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:52   #320

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

A trawler vlog from Norway,bear in mind that she is actually in the boat building business,krovel Yachts.

cheers and do have a nice weekend,

JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:46   #321

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

nice journey...