Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 18:14   #286

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Who are your favourite boat bloggers / vloggers?

Wow, this thread has expanded a lot. I have come across this vlog that I find interesting.

Saltwest Co Sailing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf6...GnUYaZEN3RL4wQ
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 00:38   #287

I find it hard to log couple vlogs as I generally find I dislike one or the other.

In the case of lavagabond I cant stand either of the country bumpkins and dont feel they do enough video and sound editing to provide high quality video production to warrant other people paying for their dream lifestyle.

I like the lady of Nahoa, but I find the Husband tends to talk over her which I dont like, but I dont think he means to. But I like their semi new to it naive approach. Its refreshing.

I think if you are expecting people to fund your dream life you could put in all your down time (from having down time) making your video production as awesome as possible, especially as premiere pro and mixing software and free music is all there. I am a bit picky as I have friends who do this professionally. But still.

Can anyone recommend from the extensive list some really good high quality productions? I enjoy watching others enjoy the ocean. I giggle at first timers fishing and spearfishing etc. Mostly because they get it all wrong but end up being soooo buzzed it has to make you feel happy watching them pull in a large YT Tuna etc :-)
LuvSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 00:48   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Here's a new one for me. Solo passage sailor, Patrick Laine

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ..._EEDDBQ/videos

Yeah hes awesome, puts up a lot of content, not putting up photos of girls in Bikinis to pay his way lol. He really does it for the people I think. Endless amount of good single handed info in his vlogs I reckon.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:32   #289

Heres a guy that does the sailing blog stuff a bit differently.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgF..._as=subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSun View Post
I find it hard to log couple vlogs as I generally find I dislike one or the other.

In the case of lavagabond I cant stand either of the country bumpkins and dont feel they do enough video and sound editing to provide high quality video production to warrant other people paying for their dream lifestyle.

I like the lady of Nahoa, but I find the Husband tends to talk over her which I dont like, but I dont think he means to. But I like their semi new to it naive approach. Its refreshing.

I think if you are expecting people to fund your dream life you could put in all your down time (from having down time) making your video production as awesome as possible, especially as premiere pro and mixing software and free music is all there. I am a bit picky as I have friends who do this professionally. But still.

Can anyone recommend from the extensive list some really good high quality productions? I enjoy watching others enjoy the ocean. I giggle at first timers fishing and spearfishing etc. Mostly because they get it all wrong but end up being soooo buzzed it has to make you feel happy watching them pull in a large YT Tuna etc :-)
HobbySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 14:00   #290

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I must admit I'm getting a bit tired of them. Still watch sometimes but not so much now.

Delos did a trip to Iceland in the last one which was interesting and i like Nahoa, they have a simlar sense of humour.
Old 12-01-2019, 15:03   #291

Boat: Herreshoff 36

I am now in the position to restart posting videos and blog entries. Currently in the middle of Pacific paradise:

https://youtu.be/9wk9yqlX2L8
Old 14-01-2019, 11:03   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I must admit I'm getting a bit tired of them. Still watch sometimes but not so much now.

Delos did a trip to Iceland in the last one which was interesting and i like Nahoa, they have a simlar sense of humour.
+1 on Nahoa. Ben has a little bit of Will Ferrell humor in him - or maybe he just looks and talks like him?
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 17:22   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
+1 on Nahoa. Ben has a little bit of Will Ferrell humor in him - or maybe he just looks and talks like him?
They are getting a lot of likes.

There is another vlog going, a couple over 50, English pair. they arent getting very many hits but they are really nice and do a good job on showing off where they go. Illl find the vlog and post it.

Personally I cant stand the sorts that are essentially begging for money and or putting their girlfriends in bikinis on the video Icons. I know its popular with guys obviously. But I just think its crass. I think the content should speak for itself not how much begging and how much flesh a vlogger can show off. Which is basically the 2 highest rating vlogs.

I can understand the desperation to do it, if you really have no other avenues in life or you hate your career. But its really pimping oneself out for cash.

Personally thats why I like the 40+ sailors like Nahoa, being real, leaving it up to the content. Having the money to begin with and or having a skill you can do anywhere to pay for the expenses of sailing.

For a lot of them that arent getting the views due to not showing off the flesh, its a true labour of love and it comes through, they arent in it for the money basically, which comes across really nice and casual. A+ class factor.
Old 14-01-2019, 17:50   #294

Quote:
Can anyone recommend from the extensive list some really good high quality productions?
I think Erik Aanderaa, Venture Lives and Winded Voyage have good production values. Content is a separate issue.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUH...J7WKEmf7vJKfAw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtS...-BJsg8lkNATUlg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC--...QeFmgJE-Um5QZQ

I like Free Range Sailing for their authenticity.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbU...rJ4OZCNH7-gjjQ
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 18:16   #295

Quote:
Can anyone recommend from the extensive list some really good high quality productions?
The hands-down best production value that I have ever seen was done by a filmmakers that went sailing instead of sailors that started filming. The bad news is that they stopped after only 8 videos...

Sea Change
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEM...VwuigEjRnVx1zw
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 18:26   #296

[QUOTE=cj88;2802614]I think Erik Aanderaa, Venture Lives and Winded Voyage have good production values. Content is a separate issue.

/QUOTE]
Erik, He really likes sailing in the nasty stuff, I like it. Thats what I mean the content should itself. Yes Sx sells but its so cheap, nasty and desperate.

I hadnt heard of Venture Lives before, I really like this Glacier episode.

Old 14-01-2019, 18:29   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Thats the quality I would expect from people getting paid what la vagabond are getting, not slack lazy, im an aussie so its ok lets slap something together. They should be employing somebody to do it if they cant do it themselves.

That Sea Change quality is epic. Still got 5 to go but so far, awesome sauce. You really could do well if you had a quality filmographer who wanted to go sailing for a couple of years. Ive got 2 mates who went to film school, who work in TV but their personal content is epic, one is Snowboarding and the other is Spearfishing.
Old 14-01-2019, 23:46   #298

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I do not care much about the production quality on YT, for me the content counts. I enjoy even poor videos with lousy audio if the stuff they do or show is interesting - like refitting, working on projects, interesting places, gear introductions etc.

Lot's to learn how to and how not to.

Most annoying are the long ever same prologues / opening credits on the footage for minutes with no link to the content coming up, same for the begging part at the end and the credits.

Fortunately you can jump over this parts easily.
Old 15-01-2019, 00:22   #299
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Thats the quality I would expect from people getting paid what la vagabond are getting, not slack lazy, im an aussie so its ok lets slap something together. They should be employing somebody to do it if they cant do it themselves.

That Sea Change quality is epic. Still got 5 to go but so far, awesome sauce. You really could do well if you had a quality filmographer who wanted to go sailing for a couple of years. Ive got 2 mates who went to film school, who work in TV but their personal content is epic, one is Snowboarding and the other is Spearfishing.
What's the spearo channel?
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 13:23   #300

Ran Sailing
Gone with the Wynns
KWild is offline   Reply With Quote